1.    #1  
    Alright Im willing to donate to have this get done. What I am looking for is just a simple word search within a threaded text conversation.

If that cant be done, is there any way to create a new conversation with the same person so that I can save individual conversations I have with someone at different times.

Reward in hand for 1 or both functions. I would love the search as top priority but the I think a temp solution to my issue could come in the create new conversation function

Thanks guys!
  2.    #2  
    Neither is possible? There has to be someone out there that is annoyed by the one conversation per person thing and knows how to resolve it..
  3.    #3  
    I know text search function might be a little tough, because of the whole caching thing so maybe just the ability to create a separate, new conversation with a single person might be a little more feasible. That way I can go back and read a specific conversation.

$20 bucks out of my next paycheck will be to the person who can make this happen. Im sure other people would really appreciate this too.
    My take on it is that it's "just texting." SMS, by it's very design, is intended for simple short messages and therefore attracts little interest for advanced functions. If I'm looking to communicate with someone and it's important that there is a record of it, or the ability to track/search, then I use e-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    My take on it is that it's "just texting." SMS, by it's very design, is intended for simple short messages and therefore attracts little interest for advanced functions. If I'm looking to communicate with someone and it's important that there is a record of it, or the ability to track/search, then I use e-mail.
    I beg to differ. I carry lengthy and important conversations through SMS. I could easily see the need for the ability to search your text messages for specific keywords. The Pre already has all your text messages stored in a database, why wouldn't you want the ability to search through it?

I'd rather have the search function over the "separate conversation" option, but I do see the potential and understanding to want this kind of feature. I hope someone decides to pick it up, but I doubt it.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    I beg to differ. I carry lengthy and important conversations through SMS. I could easily see the need for the ability to search your text messages for specific keywords. The Pre already has all your text messages stored in a database, why wouldn't you want the ability to search through it?

I'd rather have the search function over the "separate conversation" option, but I do see the potential and understanding to want this kind of feature. I hope someone decides to pick it up, but I doubt it.
    My point exactly. 5 years ago, texting was a simple way to do short communication. Now, I can't even remember the last time I made an important phone call from my phone, but texts are a daily part of my life to keep in contact with work, girl, even family. Its tough fussing around especially if Im having multiple conversations and something important gets brought up and I want to go back and review that later on.

Everyone is different though, some people do the short texting but there are a lot of people out there such as myself who use it as the primary communication with the Pre.
    This is why I loved DashWire on my WM phone. I could bring up anything instantly.
    no 'Thanks'
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    This is why I loved DashWire on my WM phone. I could bring up anything instantly.
    The best thing about WM was being able to just start typing a word you wanted to search all texts for and it would come up with all the text messages with that word in it. Thats one huge thing I miss =(
    You can have separate windows/cards for each conversation through WebOS Quick Install but as far as saving them, that's a different issue.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno1769 View Post
    The best thing about WM was being able to just start typing a word you wanted to search all texts for and it would come up with all the text messages with that word in it. Thats one huge thing I miss =(
    Yes, there was a lot I liked about WM, but I figured I'd try something new. I'll most likely find myself back when WM7 releases. I just don't see WebOS having enough steam to make it big. It will probably be a race between WM7 and Android, if you ask me.

Also, I liked how the WM community did not EXPECT donations... I donated like crazy, but it didn't seem quite the same as the WebOS community.

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    You can have separate windows/cards for each conversation through WebOS Quick Install but as far as saving them, that's a different issue.
    I don't think this gives you unique conversations with the SAME person, which is what the OP is looking for. I suspect they would like to organize different trains of thought, etc.. I would love for this as well, or at least the ability to search, like WM has.

I still have every text since launch day on my Pre. I always backup/restore the messages. I also have every text I ever used on my WM phone on Dashwire and the MS Phone service, (forget the actual name.)

I would love for some company to make a universal text-managing service. Does GV allow you to use your GV # as a text proxy, so it saves them all?? That might be interesting---too bad there's no chance I'm changing my number.
    no 'Thanks'
  11.    #11  
    Ya I was talking about separate conversations for the same person

Also Scrap, how do you back up your Pre conversations?

Thanks
    You have to root your Pre, and copy the PalmDatabase.db3 ... to restore, you simply copy it back as soon as you get the new phone/etc.

There is no import process. This makes me believe the db would be easily-manipulated on-the-fly.
    no 'Thanks'
    For reference, (from what i've found) these are the tables that have to do with messages/im:

com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread
    com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread_com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread_ContactChat_AddressChat
    com_palm_messaging_data_ChatThread_com_palm_pim_FolderEntry_Chat_Messages
    com_palm_pim_FolderEntry
    com_palm_pim_Recipient

I've yet to do a successful drop tables, and reimport to have messages.. so I'm probably missing something somewhere.

But I can verify that the copying and replacing of PalmDatabase.db3 works fine, as long as its the same version.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone with a little knowledge on this stuff will pick it up. Definitely money to be made here