Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    One thing that I have to say I'd really like to see on the Pre is a hack to the home screen, somewhat like the homebrew "Active Home Screen" app, but without actually having to OPEN the app.

For example:

Rather than having to open up your weather app (like weatherman), the Weather information is automatically layered over the wallpaper in the background. When you open a new card, the weather information fades out and the normal wallpaper returns until you close your cards. In other words - the app is only "on" if there are no other cards open.

Is this possible? Think of the other uses. The empty-feeling home screens could be eliminated entirely. Since the Pre already runs a lot in the background, wouldn't this basically just require a more advanced SDK with GPU access?

If not, why WOULDN'T this be possible?
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I like the idea. It would be cool if this can be done. But then again that sorta like andriod...
    I think an app could use a transparent background image and overlay its artwork to look something like the launcher with 'widgets' for weather, or other info. It would just be another card, but could be transparent to allow viewing of the background (and with no launcher) while the card was active.

This is just a guess tho, from observing how the graphics for other functions (like the lock screen, launcher background, quicklaunch, etc) are used to create the overlay effect.

Im guessing this overlay card could then come with an array of 'patches' that add or remove widgets from it, then perhaps use something like the icon drag/drop to allow them to be positioned on the overlay. I for one would have great use for such an animal. Imagine being able to select an 'agenda' widget that could be 'patched' into the overlay app. That shows the next couple days events. Then perhaps switches for roam, data, wifi, BT, etc. Different 'styles' could be added depending on which 'patch' is applied in. The added benefit is that you could use a preware, etc, to control and update these 'patch widgets'. These 'patch widgets' would only be aimed at overlay app, thus making it very modular and open so that widgets could be modified or altered, or created by any number of persons.

At one point in history I might have had the time and energy to investigate creating such an animal. Perhaps some enterprising coder would like to take on such a challenge? I see a very lucrative product, a free 'overlay' with 'paid patches'... hmm..
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    That's not really what I was referring to, but thanks for the response.

My concept was more along the lines of something that would literally overlay the wallpaper on the background of your Pre. A clock, a weather display, a stock feed, an RSS feed, whatever. When you had a card open, this information would be automatically faded out, and return once you closed the card.

You could even have adjustable settings for it - want to still be able to see some of your info overlay on the wallpaper in the background while moving your cards around? Just increase the "Opacity" setting to 100 under the "Background Display Options".

I'm really, really craving some sort of "widgetable" functionality for my Pre that doesn't require me to keep battery-draining cards open.
    The battery drain will be there, no matter how its done, its not so much how many cards are open, but how active the phone is. IE: processing, downloading, maintaining data connection, etc.

I'm no programmer, but I dont think it would be simple to make an interactive background, as the 'home screen' is something that is the result of the core functionality of WebOS. Creating something that operates in a similar manner within a card would be far easier. You could get the same appearance and function if it were done right, it just wouldn't 'fade' in and out automatically when you opened a card or anything.

If done right, the way I describe could give the 'widgetable' functionality, without having to be a complete redesign of the OS, and would be highly customizable. The core function would be to display user-defined info in real time, without having to have multiple cards/apps open, that would update at user-defined intervals.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    That's what bugs me. I don't WANT to have to keep 5 or 6 battery-draining cards open constantly. Why can't widgets be something that we can install on the home screen, ala the Hero's SenseUI?
    Widgets will also be engaging the processor etc and will take a toll on battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    That's what bugs me. I don't WANT to have to keep 5 or 6 battery-draining cards open constantly. Why can't widgets be something that we can install on the home screen, ala the Hero's SenseUI?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Widgets will also be engaging the processor etc and will take a toll on battery life.
    Taking this into account, I would still think that having customizable widgets available would make the home screen far more functional than it is currently.
    Currently the current home screen is nothing more than an image displayed. If one can make an app that creates an image file with the info you want to see and the app runs headless then it could generate the image at regular intervals and change the home screen image to the new image. I don't know how feasible that is and it would probably increase battery drain. However to have the home screen be capable of adding widgits to it would require complete redesign of that part of the OS. Best we can do is a custom app like the previously mentioned app. In fact one could make that app with left and right swipe gestures for more pages like how you swap pages in the launcher and by allowing the user to customize what widgits and where you would have a replicated android experience in a custom app.
    Just to resurrect an old thread instead of creating a new one. Why not have android widget like functionality with active wallpaper. Right now the background is f'ing useless. I have to rely on a program like Agenda to come close to seeing upcoming appointments and that layout stinks with way too much white space. The ability to have your agenda always on the screen. give it a double tap and have scores for my favorite sports or teams, double tap and I can see the latest going on with my facebook friends. Double tap and I can see how my stocks are doing.

Wouldn't it by a nice shot over the bow of Android to add that kind of functionality to webOS?

Quote Originally Posted by sth fatal View Post
    I like the idea. It would be cool if this can be done. But then again that sorta like andriod...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    technically one could make an enhancement to the launcher to have widget like pages however it would require someone who is really expecienced in programming and has a detailed understanding how the inner workings of the launcher to be able to make pages that are different than the app launching pages. Or a 3d party type thing that pops up on the screen in some way similar to the launcher with the auto popup patch so when the launcher isn't up or an app in focus the widget thing pops up.