Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I love all of the tweaks available to make my Pre MINE. My problem comes now from installing these tweaks from too many places. Some I rooted to install, other I used Preware, and still others I used WebOSQuickInstall.

My problem now is that I dont remember which I did where. I can't seem to remove 4x4 launcher so that I can install the 4x4 V3 that just came out. I'd rather not have to remove all my hacks and start from scratch, but that may be my only option and may be the best way to do all my hacks from the same place for future removal before updates.

What do you all think? Should I be installing all my tweaks and patches from one place? Would I b better off clearing them all with a repair tool and starting from scratch?
    i had the same problem. may still have it. I tried to clear the 4X4 and my phone kept messing up. i still don't know if i have it right. i have not tried to install the 4X4 v3.

i suggest you use the webos repair utility. your phone my have error your not a where of. also it may be best to start from scratch with your tweeks. Use the preware emergency removal (something or other).
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    I love all of the tweaks available to make my Pre MINE. My problem comes now from installing these tweaks from too many places. Some I rooted to install, other I used Preware, and still others I used WebOSQuickInstall.

My problem now is that I dont remember which I did where. I can't seem to remove 4x4 launcher so that I can install the 4x4 V3 that just came out. I'd rather not have to remove all my hacks and start from scratch, but that may be my only option and may be the best way to do all my hacks from the same place for future removal before updates.

What do you all think? Should I be installing all my tweaks and patches from one place? Would I b better off clearing them all with a repair tool and starting from scratch?

My thing would be just use one source. I find using preware keeps everythings nice and neat.
    Until quilt/preware/QI can detect the patches made by another I would use one source for patching. I had this same problem, having had used quilt QI and preware. I used the emergency patch recovery tool and am now using preware exclusively with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    This is actually easier than you think. Here are the steps I did.

1) Install the Emergency Patch Recovery tool from Preware, either through WebOS Quick Install or Preware. Once you do, the tool will remove all standard format patches, whether installed through the Tweaks control panel (I think) or directly as patches.

2) If you still have an unstable Pre, install and run the latest version of the WebOS Repair Utility, use it to download WebOS Doctor 1.21, and run the Repair Utility to restore your Pre's OS to 1.21 stock.

3) After that, reinstall those patches/tweaks you like. Personally, after facing the same confusion, I'm going to use the WebOS Quick Install Tweaks menu for everything I can (only a few I like, like the confirm before deleting e-mail, are not yet available as tweaks).

Hope this helps. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    Until quilt/preware/QI can detect the patches made by another I would use one source for patching. I had this same problem, having had used quilt QI and preware. I used the emergency patch recovery tool and am now using preware exclusively with no problems.
    QI/Preware use the same patching system (autopatch technology), and should be fully compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    This is actually easier than you think. Here are the steps I did.

1) Install the Emergency Patch Recovery tool from Preware, either through WebOS Quick Install or Preware. Once you do, the tool will remove all standard format patches, whether installed through the Tweaks control panel (I think) or directly as patches.
    EPR only removes patches that were installed using autopatch technology (i.e. nothing manually patched via quilt will be removed by EPR).

2) If you still have an unstable Pre, install and run the latest version of the WebOS Repair Utility, use it to download WebOS Doctor 1.21, and run the Repair Utility to restore your Pre's OS to 1.21 stock.

3) After that, reinstall those patches/tweaks you like. Personally, after facing the same confusion, I'm going to use the WebOS Quick Install Tweaks menu for everything I can (only a few I like, like the confirm before deleting e-mail, are not yet available as tweaks).

Hope this helps. {Jonathan}

Most of the patches on the tweaks menu use the ipk w/autopatch technology from the webos-patches feed, which is the same ipk that Preware uses. They should be fully compatible and interoperable.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    I wasn't sure if QI used autopatch also. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    I used Jonathan I Ezor's method earlier today, then went and downloaded Quick install 2.8 as it was released today, I think. Everything works fine again. Quick 2.72 and Preware weren't removing the patches properly and I couldn't install a few things properly and luckily it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    QI/Preware use the same patching system (autopatch technology), and should be fully compatible.

EPR only removes patches that were installed using autopatch technology (i.e. nothing manually patched via quilt will be removed by EPR).

Most of the patches on the tweaks menu use the ipk w/autopatch technology from the webos-patches feed, which is the same ipk that Preware uses. They should be fully compatible and interoperable.

I was wondering if they were compatible, however I used preware for everything but when I occasionally plug into QI it only shows the add launcher pages tweak as being installed when in fact I have 45 or so patches installed.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

when you run the repair utility i would think it's best to go into options and check override compatibility. this way is will get all the tweaks out and you can start from scratch.