Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Currently i'm working on upgrading the NAND flash from a Damaged Palm Pre purchased on Ebay. What i'd like to do first is extract the full contents of the NAND using a Jtag interface so i can be sure the contents are the same. currently I have the old Nand chip mounted in my chip programmer temporarily as to eliminate any issues that could come up from flashing through the jtag port on the board itself. i plan to flash the original data first to the new chip then create a separate partition that could be mounted just as an extra drive. what i need is someone experienced in building a linux kernel that can detect and mount the new partition or someone to verify that the current kernel will detect the new Samsung 16GB chip before i manaully mount(will rebuild kernel later) the new parition.

I'm gonnna use this thread as a log for my progress, it will not be done overnight as im still working out some of the details. the whole reason i'm testing this on a palm pre is because i'd like to then transfer the original 8GB chip to my G1 and do the full native Ubuntu 9.04 install to replace the Android System. This will give me the full speed of Ubuntu instead of the well known Debian/jaunty VNC setup thats been done in the past which runs rather slow. this will also give me ability to port many of the open source linux apps over as long as the hardware is up to the task(based on my minimal native install it definitely is)

Future plan: Replace the GSM module currently in the G1 with that of the Hero since it has the same pinout and specifications.

Cons to doing this are going to be that I'll lose my phone functions until I write a application for the phone/modem but i'm doing this mainly as a means to build a custom handheld pc as none of the phones out have everything.

Should be an interesting custom job.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Good luck transplanting BGA Chips. My wife and I use to do Palm Memory upgrades as a business. TSOP chips, we could do it all. BGA chips we had some luck with, but not much.
  3.    #3  
    Their not that hard to replace if you have a BGA rework station with the correct templates and infrared soldering station with heatplate. I have all the tools required for the job at home for my side business repairing cell phones, Xbox 360 GPU/CPU and pc/laptop motherboards. also need the correct BGA balls for the chips. its next to impossible to replace them with a hot air rework station.
    This thread has officially blown my mind. I wish you the best of luck, Binary Tech!
    I sense future business opportunity if this succeeds. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    Their not that hard to replace if you have a BGA rework station with the correct templates and infrared soldering station with heatplate. I have all the tools required for the job at home for my side business repairing cell phones, Xbox 360 GPU/CPU and pc/laptop motherboards. also need the correct BGA balls for the chips. its next to impossible to replace them with a hot air rework station.
    And of course we had a hot air station in our lab. She was able to do some but it was a royal pain. At the time, the BGA equipment seemed out of our budget. Not sure about these days.

Ahhh, thinking back to the days when we were upgrading Palm V to 8mb, and then the 16mb upgrades later.... And to think we are talking 8gb/16gb now, and who knows down the road.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    And of course we had a hot air station in our lab. She was able to do some but it was a royal pain. At the time, the BGA equipment seemed out of our budget. Not sure about these days.

Ahhh, thinking back to the days when we were upgrading Palm V to 8mb, and then the 16mb upgrades later.... And to think we are talking 8gb/16gb now, and who knows down the road.
    Hehe I know right, the BGA station is close to $480 but it comes with more templates than you could ever use. the comany also sells specific templates as you need them for $7 as well as the bottles of balls 25K a bottle. If i remember right I paid close to that price for my rework station a maybe 4 years ago so prices have gone down. the infared Station with heatplate was pretty costly(almost $800) but its not really required....does make things go alot smoother, if you were doing this for yourself you could get away with using the hot air but have to be careful not to let other chips blow out the way. on the Xbox GPU their are capacitors on top so thats mainly why i had no choice but to order one. theirs not much that cant be replaced in house now. the damaged pre's are still fairly cheap on ebay if all you need are certain parts like SDRAM and NAND since samsung does not sell them to the public, i'm used to scavenging.

I know this is a palm pre forum but i figured since it involes the pre others would find it interesting. i'm taking detailed pictures of the progress as I go along.
    I find this so interesting. I wish I had the technical know how to do these types of things. I'm sure the entry for this type of thing is huge in research but also in $$$$.

Good luck being the first person with a 16gb Pre
  9. ZR1
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Lol... I still have my Prism that I sent out to be upgraded to 16mb! I thought that was the coolest.... ahhh the memories.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR1 View Post
    Lol... I still have my Prism that I sent out to be upgraded to 16mb! I thought that was the coolest.... ahhh the memories.
    Ahhh yes, 16mb Prisms I remember doing those. I mentioned the going prices for BGA equipment to my wife (the main tech), and said gee get some equipment, find sources for the 16gb chips, and we could bring our business back from the grave... She not only said no, she said HELL NO... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    I know this is a palm pre forum but i figured since it involes the pre others would find it interesting. i'm taking detailed pictures of the progress as I go along.
    If you are successful, you will be the envy of the whole board as well as get hundreds of messages requesting memory upgrades.
    WOW! that is all I can say. As a HTPC builder/wholesaler you have just made my heart skip a beat. Have a question though. I know you have to start somewhere and 16g is a lot. Yet I wonder since this is going to take some time, is there a side plan to move to 32g if it works out and availability/pricing is right? I only ask since we keep speculating on a 16g coming out down the road. If 32g could take the spot quickly, you would be ahead of the makers time line.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    I sense future business opportunity if this succeeds. {Jonathan}
    I'm in for a upgrade when you get it figured out Binary Tech.
    64GB Pre here we come!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    How goes the project?
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I am interested on this too.
  17.    #17  
    Well right now im kinda just trying to figure out a faster way to dump the nand completely. the problem hear is that using jtag via parallel port is rather slow....and might take 2 weeks to dump the full file lol. i'm playing around trying to pull parts at a time then rebuild then later when i'm ready to flash. this way I dont have to worry about the laptop locking up and having to start over. the jtag setup is VERY VERY slow. i have the spare laptop i'm using to pull the data plugged into my backup power just in case something kills power here. if i cant get away with pulling the data in smaller blocks im gonna just go ahead and set it to start the download and not touch it until its complete. then i can flash into the new chip after creating the second partition. dont worry i'm gonna post updates as i progress.
  18. qqq
    the mountable volumes on the pre are LVM volumes which live on physical partitions /dev/mmcblk0*... The "raw" device in linux is /dev/mmcblk0 - this may not / probably doesn't expose the entire raw mmc device but it's possible it does, and if you know what you're looking for you could check. If so, it would be easy to dump it over wifi or usb to another computer and much faster than trying to read 8g of data over parallel port jtag.

There is certainly other flash memory on the phone that you don't get to see from within linux, but if you're talking about just swapping the 8g user accessible storage for a 16g part, this might work if you have a linux machine available.

on the linux side you can run

nc -l 12345 > mmcblk0.dump

and on the Pre side, you can run

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | nc linux-machine-ip 12345

which should dump the contents over the network into the file on the linux machine.

On the pre you might need to get set up with the Optware package feed and install the netcat or "nc" package from there, as I think the nc command built in to the pre is broken.

Btw i'm impressed about the BGA rework. How do you .. uh.. get the balls on?
    Last edited by qqq; 10/13/2009 at 07:48 PM.
    now you got me thinking. I may have to check around for local teechs here in socal and get mine done if you pull this off. Good luck!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by qqq View Post
    the mountable volumes on the pre are LVM volumes which live on physical partitions /dev/mmcblk0*... The "raw" device in linux is /dev/mmcblk0 - this may not / probably doesn't expose the entire raw mmc device but it's possible it does, and if you know what you're looking for you could check. If so, it would be easy to dump it over wifi or usb to another computer and much faster than trying to read 8g of data over parallel port jtag.

There is certainly other flash memory on the phone that you don't get to see from within linux, but if you're talking about just swapping the 8g user accessible storage for a 16g part, this might work if you have a linux machine available.

on the linux side you can run

nc -l 12345 > mmcblk0.dump

and on the Pre side, you can run

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 | nc linux-machine-ip 12345

which should dump the contents over the network into the file on the linux machine.

On the pre you might need to get set up with the Optware package feed and install the netcat or "nc" package from there, as I think the nc command built in to the pre is broken.

Btw i'm impressed about the BGA rework. How do you .. uh.. get the balls on?
    Theirs a BGA rework jig that comes with the balls and you can order the stencils specific to each type of chip at $7 a peice. the original balls come off completely then you put the chip in the jig with the stencil on top, apply the paste, pour some balls into the jig until all the holes fill, then put it under the heater until all the balls seat on the chip....remove the stencil and put the chip onto the board with the same process. it takes me roughly 15 minutes to do Xbox360 GPU or CPU and similar to give an example. the memory here is even easier but the balls have a tighter pitch to them so have to be careful. thats actually he easiest part to the whole ordeal. i'm just worried about the software side of things. getting the data out of the chip is trivial but not impossible here. it also needs to be able to be mounted so i can be accessed. i'll work that out later once i get the phone back together. their are other ways of doing it that dont require $2 grand it equipment but since i had the tools already i figured i'd give it a shot and do it with the right tools..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast