Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. qqq
    If you've pulled the flash image off the chip onto a linux machine you can get at it pretty it easily:

losetup /dev/loop0 imagefile.img
    kpartx -a /dev/loop0

this creates files /dev/mapper/loop0p1 ... loop0p3 (one for each partition on the flash chip)
    and then you can use the linux lvm utilities to mount those.

run lvscan to find the lvm volumes present on the (fake) disk.
    pick a volume name, and enable it by running:
    vgscan -ay volumename
    then run "lvs" to get the list of logical volumes (like log, media, root, update, var, etc...),
    then mount /dev/volumename/lvname /mnt
    where /mnt is any empty directory you want it mounted on.

if you don't have the vgscan and lvs commands, you can install them with "apt-get install lvm2"
    You should be able to dump it from linux just fine over USBNet or Wifi, (the entire flash disk is a block device) but if it were me I really don't think I would bother with it.

If I were you, I'd just swap the chip, and run webOS doctor to set up the new disk (including bootloader and everything)

(by booting into bootie recovery mode over OMAP USB boot mode)

webos-internals.org

/wiki/Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery

(sorry, it won't let me post links with less than 10 posts)

--Destinal
    So, how goes?

What's your strategy for dissolving the thermal potting? And isn't the flash stacked over the CPU in this device?

To me, this project just screams crazy. So of course I'm totally into it!
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Your words frighten and confuse me.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    So, how goes?

What's your strategy for dissolving the thermal potting? And isn't the flash stacked over the CPU in this device?

To me, this project just screams crazy. So of course I'm totally into it!
    I'm ready to install the new chip into the phone, i was contacted by someone who must have found this post in a google search. asking to help JTAG the G1 so they can unbrick the phones, so i've been on hold with the Pre while I did some research. i'm just about done with what they asked so hopefully over the weekend or over the next week I will install the new chip.
    lol and how much will something like this cost us consumers that would like more memory ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    lol and how much will something like this cost us consumers that would like more memory ??
    This definitely will fall under the umbrella of "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."
    @BinaryTech:

I just remembered that partition 1 on the flash disk (that palm refers to as the "nvram area" though it's in flash, of course) contains a series of "tokens" including calibration data, serial numbers, MAC addresses for your hardware and other things.

You could make a copy of partition 1 this way:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/media/internal/mmcblk0p1.img

And a copy of the first 8 megabytes of the disk this way.

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/internal/mmcblk0-8meg.img bs=1048576 count=8

and then copy the image file off via usb mass storage mode, scp, etc

I have it on good authority that writing back the first 8 megabytes and then running doctor should fix everything up completely.

but overall this issue blows a hole in my hole "just doctor a blank disk" theory -- sorry.

I'd love to try this myself but I don't have a spare pre that isn't my main mobile phone.

Worst case, you should be able to USB-boot into your own recovery code or use JTAG to write that first 8 megabytes, and then USB-boot bootie recovery (ie my last resort wiki article)

Sorry for the confusion.

--destinal
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Any luck or progress with this? A little more storage would be fantastic and worth a reasonable fee. I guess the definition of reasonable may be up in the air here!
    yah. I could use 32 gig space and like a gig memory. Sign me up.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I'll admit i didn't read everything here, it made my head hurt. And forgive a stupid question, but:

Would it theoretically be easier to grab a 16gb from a (damaged or something) pre plus, and put it in a pre classic? Would that mean less messing around?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12