Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We all know about the app catalog install limits, but no-one has ever tracked down *exactly* what is happening. Until now.

Please read rwhitby.net : The Definitive Analysis of Palm Pre App Install Limits and the Palm App Catalog Hanging for the definitive analysis of app install limits and palm app catalog "hangs".

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Awesome work there, and well explained!
    Your workaround worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.
    Never had the "too many aps" issue but it's great to know a simple way to speead up the load-time. Nice, concise , and easily understandable explantion. Thank you.
  5.    #5  
    Update: I've now webOS Doctored my Pre in the name of science, and have tested the limits of installing applications.

If you run "du -s /var/usr/palm/applications/*", and add up all the numbers in the first column, then as soon as you hit the 62367 1K blocks limit of the addition of the sizes reported by that "du" command and the size of the app you with to install, you will get the dreaded "Sorry, Not Enough Memory" error from the Palm App Catalog application (and any other installer, like fileCoaster or PreLoad, which uses the palm appInstaller API). It doesn't matter whether you have 192MB free in your /var partition, it will max out at just under 64MB of application usage.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I am happy pre owner again now i got preware back and no freeze issue. Thank you Rwhitby!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    preload can work around app limit.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    preload can work around app limit.
    The "Download Rooted" option of PreLoad (which is only available if the WebOS Internals Package Manager Service is installed) of course can work around the app limit, because it uses the same webos-internals.org service that Preware uses.

That's the main reason why we released the Package Manager Service as a separate package - so other open source applications like PreLoad can take advantage of the technology and not have to waste time developing it from scratch like closed source application authors do ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The "Download Rooted" option of PreLoad (which is only available if the WebOS Internals Package Manager Service is installed) of course can work around the app limit, because it uses the same webos-internals.org service that Preware uses.

That's the main reason why we released the Package Manager Service as a separate package - so other open source applications like PreLoad can take advantage of the technology and not have to waste time developing it from scratch like closed source application authors do ...

-- Rod
    how will we be getting around this memory limit error...is there a hack/tweak/app in the works that will bypass this...or is palm really working on a fix for this?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Update: I've now webOS Doctored my Pre in the name of science, and have tested the limits of installing applications.

If you run "du -s /var/usr/palm/applications/*", and add up all the numbers in the first column, then as soon as you hit the 62367 1K blocks limit of the addition of the sizes reported by that "du" command and the size of the app you with to install, you will get the dreaded "Sorry, Not Enough Memory" error from the Palm App Catalog application (and any other installer, like fileCoaster or PreLoad, which uses the palm appInstaller API). It doesn't matter whether you have 192MB free in your /var partition, it will max out at just under 64MB of application usage.

-- Rod
    I appreciate everything you're doing with this project, and hopefully you'll be able to come up with something that will work for everyone. This is over my head so all I can do is cheer you on, good luck.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    how will we be getting around this memory limit error...is there a hack/tweak/app in the works that will bypass this...or is palm really working on a fix for this?
    Watch this space ...

-- Rod
  12.    #12  
    "Fair Dinkum App Limit" has been released. You can find it in Preware, ready for installation on your Pre.

It will remove both the "hang" and the arbitrary 64MB limit on installation of applications.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...tallation.html

Enjoy.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/12/2009 at 07:55 AM.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Thanks Rod... all the work is really appreciated. Out of curiosity, does FDAL (lol) leave the Pre still checking for free space in the /var partition at all (just not the 64M limit)?
    Wow, you never cease to amaze me!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Thanks Rod... all the work is really appreciated. Out of curiosity, does FDAL (lol) leave the Pre still checking for free space in the /var partition at all (just not the 64M limit)?
    The Package Manager Service will refuse to install an application if it will fill up /var. Future versions of fairdinkum will also do more sophisticated checks.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    "Fair Dinkum App Limit" has been released. You can find it in Preware, ready for installation on your Pre.

It will remove both the "hang" and the arbitrary 64MB limit on installation of applications.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...tallation.html

Enjoy.

-- Rod
    Enjoy is the understatement of the month! You rock! Works great! Yahooo!!

Can you tell I am a little excited?
    Ty ty ty ty ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There's always next year!
    Other than the Video camera the phone is now complete. Great work! This was the biggest headache of the WebOS file structure.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for this fix, but I still can't install anything else from the App Catalog. It still says there's not enough space.
    Rod, thank you so much for your time and work put into this patch! My Pre is able to install new apps smoothly now! I have called Palm and voiced my concern of outside developers having to patch there flawed OS. The lady I spoke with agreed and thought Palm should have released a patch by now. lol But, your work is totally appreciated!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast