Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Great work! Thank you! I am now able to install applications from the App Catalog with no freezing, no memory message, and with PMS installed working with Preware.
    I don't see the app in my preware...can somebody help me...I did an update feeds and went under applications but don't see the app
    haha never mind...found it...thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Package Manager Service will refuse to install an application if it will fill up /var. Future versions of fairdinkum will also do more sophisticated checks.
    So, I'm a little confused about having du return a 0. Does this leave the App Catalog installer vulnerable to filling up the /var space? Or does your mod also catch that before it actually installs? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    Thanks for this fix, but I still can't install anything else from the App Catalog. It still says there's not enough space.
    I have installed this patch but I also can not install any more apps from the official app catalog. Could any of the other patches out the cause a conflict?
    thanks for the fix. Preware is great.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Rod, here is a mod to your 'du' command so that it will only return 0 if the app catalog is running. If app catalog is not running, it will run the normal du command. What you've posted is pretty risky for anything else that depends on the du command.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} 2>&1 |grep findapps  >/dev/null
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    then
     echo "0 $2"
    else
     /usr/bin/du $*
    fi
    I'm not sure what app catalog is sending but you might also try this..
    shift
    echo "0 $*"

instead of
    echo "0 $2"

...this will echo all other arguments. Not sure if you need that but might be cleaner.

But even this update isn't clean. If App Catalog is running yet another app is running that depends on 'du', it will still break. This only fixes the issue if App Catalog is not running.

Is there a way to determine if App Catalog is the one calling du?
    Where can I donate a buck or two to show my appreciation for this!

Although many catalog apps have underwhelmed me, I still like to be able to install and try out new stuff - WHICH I COULDN'T DO FOR MORE THAN TWO WEEKS!

Thanks again, wish I could contribute more than $$$ to this community...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodleydog View Post
    Where can I donate a buck or two to show my appreciation for this!

Although many catalog apps have underwhelmed me, I still like to be able to install and try out new stuff - WHICH I COULDN'T DO FOR MORE THAN TWO WEEKS!

Thanks again, wish I could contribute more than $$$ to this community...
    WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals

There is a paypal link there. Mention that it is for Fair Dinkum
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    WebOS Internals:Site support - WebOS Internals

There is a paypal link there. Mention that it is for Fair Dinkum
    DONE DEAL - a few crisp George Washington's are headed their way...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quick suggestion for the wrapper script. It would be wise to invoke /usr/bin/du once /var hits a minimum amount of room. This way the wrapper will avoid filling up /var and causing more problems than the wrapper solves.

The workaround would be an if/then at the start of the script. I haven't tested this in production for reasons I've said elsewhere.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    MINSIZE=50000
    if [ `df /var |grep /var | cut -c45-50` -lt $MINSIZE ]
    then
    /usr/bin/du $*
    else
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} 2>&1 |grep findapps  >/dev/null
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    then
     echo "0 $2"
    else
     /usr/bin/du $*
    fi
    fi
    (yes, I'm rusty. I haven't done hardcore shell coding in at least six years)
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmacke View Post
    Quick suggestion for the wrapper script. It would be wise to invoke /usr/bin/du once /var hits a minimum amount of room. This way the wrapper will avoid filling up /var and causing more problems than the wrapper solves.

The workaround would be an if/then at the start of the script. I haven't tested this in production for reasons I've said elsewhere.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    MINSIZE=50000
    if [ `df /var |grep /var | cut -c45-50` -lt $MINSIZE ]
    then
    /usr/bin/du $*
    else
    if [ $? == 0 ]
    then
     echo "0 $2"
    else
     /usr/bin/du $*
    fi
    fi
    (yes, I'm rusty. I haven't done hardcore shell coding in at least six years)
    Thanks.

Can anyone take a look at using ps to get the process id of LunaSysMgr, and then checking to see if it is the parent of the current process to really make sure that this du invocation is being run from LunaSysMgr ?

All people who contribute code will be listed in the copyright at the head of the script and given credit in the first post - please confirm that your contributions may be GPLv2 licensed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #32  
    Another update.

There is a secondary limit. Application installation is prevented when there is less than 100MiB (102400 1K blocks) free in /var.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Another update.

There is a secondary limit. Application installation is prevented when there is less than 100MiB (102400 1K blocks) free in /var.

-- Rod
    i'm getting a fast "no memory available." i think i'm running into this. doh.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i'm getting a fast "no memory available." i think i'm running into this. doh.
    +1
  15.    #35  
    A new version of Fair Dinkum App Limit has been released - see the homebrew apps thread about it for details.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    "Fair Dinkum App Limit" has been released. You can find it in Preware, ready for installation on your Pre.

It will remove both the "hang" and the arbitrary 64MB limit on installation of applications.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...tallation.html

Enjoy.

-- Rod
    ....but what memory limitations (that some are experiencing) does it not fix. It does not make ALL well and good as I understand it. I am reading and reading trying to understand what I need to do.

FWIW, I have been unable to load from APP cat, update thru Preware and have recieved message about too many applications installed. I have 82% use of /var. I have been downloading homebrew apps and a few AppCat (but not many) since day 1 using PreWare WOSQI and fileCoaster. I also rooted my Pre and put in some sort of user directory if I remember correctly.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    ....but what memory limitations (that some are experiencing) does it not fix. It does not make ALL well and good as I understand it. I am reading and reading trying to understand what I need to do.

FWIW, I have been unable to load from APP cat, update thru Preware and have recieved message about too many applications installed. I have 82% use of /var. I have been downloading homebrew apps and a few AppCat (but not many) since day 1 using PreWare WOSQI and fileCoaster. I also rooted my Pre and put in some sort of user directory if I remember correctly.
    It does not fix the 100MiB free space safety net limit. That is a limit at 60% of /var for a standard device. We're working with xorg on means to move apps to /media/internal, or you can use the meta-doctor to increase your /var space to 2GB.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I had the same problem. And Fair Dinkum fixed it. Thanks, Rod.

But before installing it I looked at the size of /var. du /var/usr/palm/applications returned about 38MB. This was far below the 256MB size of /var partition and Palm's 64MB limit on total size of all applications. I even tried and deleted several application to bring the size of /var/usr/palm/applications below 32MB, 31.6MB to be exact, and then tried to install a 30KB application from App Catalog. I got the same error message "Sorry, not enough memory." df /var returned 248.0M total, 126.1M used, 121.8M free, 51% used.

As I said, after installing Fair Dinkum App Limit I could install new apps from App Catalog again. By the way, I never had problems installing apps from Preware. Just yesterday I removed all patches and the theme, then ran WebOS Repair Utility without patch/theme compatibility mode to restore all system files from WebOS Doctor 1.2.1, after that I installed about 45 patches from Preware (none for App Catalog). So, I have no idea why I had this problem.
  19.    #39  
    FYI: The functionality of the Fair Dinkum App Limit package has now been incorporated into the latest version of the Package Manager Service (that's 0.9.12). Preware itself is unchanged.

-- Rod
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12