Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    *UPDATED FOR MOBILE HOTSPOT AND WEBOS 1.3.5*

1) Download WebOSQuick Install 3.01
    2) Download Mobile Hotspot Package
    3) Enable Developer Mode on your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOS-Internals
    - In Card view or in the Launcher application, type the following: webos20090606
    - Tap the resulting Developer Mode Enabler icon.
    - In the application, move the Developer Mode slider to the On position.
    - Tap "Reset the Device"
    - When reset is complete, Developer mode is enabled
    4) Connect your Pre to your computer and select "Charge Only"
    5) Using WebOS QuickInstall, first install "us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk" and "com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk"
    6) Next, install "auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch"
    7) Reboot your phone

That's all it takes. Now you should have the Mobile Hotspot app in your Launcher and be ready to go.
    Last edited by Leathal; 02/05/2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: saving people headaches
    Thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU! Just confirmed that this works. I have been refusing automatic updates of WebOS1.2.1 because it breaks tethering and last night while I was sleeping the update was somehow forced onto my phone. Now I can tether again!
    where can i find the old version of myTether??...i have version 1.5.0
    never mind...it works with version 1.5.0 (typing through myTethere'd computer as we speak)....God bless you man!...i will still donate.
    Anything so wrong with giving the author the $15 donation he/she deserves for his innovative method to get this working and usefulness?
    I'm just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Anything so wrong with giving the author the $15 donation he/she deserves for his innovative method to get this working and usefulness?
    I'm just saying....
    Nothing wrong with donations, but I don't think deserves a $15 donation for something that he didn't really do -- his donation version of the app has many more handy features (auto installer, for example) that he did create which are worthy of a donation.

This is just getting his old free version running again after Palm broke it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Tech Note: In WebOS 1.2, Palm recompiled the Marvell SD 8686 wifi driver to remove ad-hoc support. This is why the old version of MyTether stopped working over wifi. The paid version installs the "old" version of the driver in order to reenable ad-hoc support. This is what this thread teaches you how to do manually.
    Is that the only change Palm made to the driver in the update? If so, I'll include it in that unofficial free version MyTether installer

The Marvell SD 8686 driver is licensed under the GPL, which you can view on their website.
    Interesting GPL eh
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I'm just saying....
    I don't support the paid version of MyTether for the following reasons:

1) Misleading - MyTether is NOT donationware. It is a paid app, full stop. The only reasons to call it donationware are to avoid taxation and to generate subconsciously mistaken goodwill from those who don't understand the terminology.

2) Violates Software Licensing - The paid version of MyTether installs the old wifi driver from before WebOS 1.2 (same thing my tutorial does). That driver is licensed under the GPL and requires the dev to fulfill certain expectations which have not even been cursorily addressed, especially for a pay app. WebOS and many many other pieces of far more useful software (hell, even the forums software running Precentral) would almost certainly not exist if not for GPL and LGPL software; abusing licensing like this is not something any WebOS user should support.

3) Cash Grab - In my opinion, the MyTether dev is using the WebOS 1.2 upgrade as a stick to drive users from the free version to the pay one. The fix is incredibly easy, as my first post described. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this, unlike numbers 1 and 2, but it rubs me the wrong way since the fix takes almost literally zero effort. This isn't something that took hours of coding to fix.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Wow, man! Thanks, now I don't have to use BT tethering, which I found to be quite a pain. Kudos
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Is that the only change Palm made to the driver in the update? If so, I'll include it in that unofficial free version MyTether installer

Interesting GPL eh
    Honestly, we won't be able to tell exactly what has changed until Palm makes the 1.2 sources available. In previous WebOS builds, the driver was released as binary only with no source patches, which leads me to believe that Palm didn't make any changes until now and likely at the behest of Sprint or Bell.

And yeah it's GPL (scroll down to the bottom of the licensing text box on that page), but modifying kernel drivers is way beyond my capabilities haha. Annoying too, cause I'd love to get Thermal Compensation working as well as adding more TX power options; it would massively save on battery life while wirelessly tethering, with literally no downside.
    Good job dude! I was wondering why it would not work. Now I have both ways working; USB tether and WIFI tether. You Rock!

Interesting GPL eh
    Can we expect this as an update to the free mytether?
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 10/11/2009 at 03:51 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    jason plz be sure to let us know if/when you change the installer - that will be much easier so i will hold off on this til then!
    hmm, it appears Aonic has completely removed the free version ipks, even though the free version "rooting required" installation instructions are still up...

What was the last free version service ipk? 0.5.0?
    Thank you. I had the paid version and had problems with it installing. This just made it work again...
  16.    #16  
    hmm, it appears Aonic has completely removed the free version ipks, even though the free version "rooting required" installation instructions are still up...

What was the last free version service ipk? 0.5.0?
    Yeah looks like 0.50 is the last service ipk and 1.5.0 is the last app ipk.

You sure you can't access them at http://mytether.net/ipk/81288190 (this is the service ipk) and http://mytether.net/ipk/88190780 (app ipk)?
    lol, looks like the links just updated
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    you can still download it using the install script on the first page...

If the driver is indeed the same, someone should be able to simply recompile the public source and replace with your own. If that works then try removing references to ad hoc and such and recompile, and test. If that still works and is the same file size, try a bit by bit comparison and see if they match.
    Warning: I have never tried any of this and dont know what will happen or even if its possible.
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    you can still download it using the install script on the first page...
    Yea it works now, like an hour ago it had different, broken, links. I've noticed the download urls in the script change at least 4 times and suspect there's some automated renamer

Attached is my updated unofficial MyTetherInstaller. Just install the ipk using WebOS Quick Install. Added benefit is the way the service is installed with this, it can be uninstalled quick and easy via WebOS Quick Install or Preware Also included is the full source.

Be sure to have an active phone data connection available and wifi turned off during the install.

Oh, and you must reboot your device after installing, to finish the installation.

EDIT: do not use past webOS 1.2.1
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 12/10/2009 at 04:36 PM.
    I don't support the paid version of MyTether for the following reasons:

1) Misleading - MyTether is NOT donationware. It is a paid app, full stop. The only reasons to call it donationware are to avoid taxation and to generate subconsciously mistaken goodwill from those who don't understand the terminology.

2) Violates Software Licensing - The paid version of MyTether installs the old wifi driver from before WebOS 1.2 (same thing my tutorial does). That driver is licensed under the GPL and requires the dev to fulfill certain expectations which have not even been cursorily addressed, especially for a pay app. WebOS and many many other pieces of far more useful software (hell, even the forums software running Precentral) would almost certainly not exist if not for GPL and LGPL software; abusing licensing like this is not something any WebOS user should support.

3) Cash Grab - In my opinion, the MyTether dev is using the WebOS 1.2 upgrade as a stick to drive users from the free version to the pay one. The fix is incredibly easy, as my first post described. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this, unlike numbers 1 and 2, but it rubs me the wrong way since the fix takes almost literally zero effort. This isn't something that took hours of coding to fix.
    You forgot number 4.

4) I'm too cheap to pay for an application that the author created, and I cannot.

I really like this part of your rant:

abusing licensing like this is not something any WebOS user should support.
    You do realise that by tethering, you are basically abusing your user agreement with Sprint because they do not allow tethering to begin with? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast