Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    when did you install tethering
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocman00 View Post
    so if i have preware and i install tethering what else needs to be done to get my laptop to connectt
    Ok the package Jason made is not the package in preware. You need to download that package, and install it via the WebOS Quick Install desktop program.
    where do i get it
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    where do i get it

Jason has posted a ZIP file on page 2 of this thread.
    Last edited by shaunooh; 10/11/2009 at 08:04 PM.
    i installed your file and i have the tether app on my phone now but i cant figure out how to use my laptop off my phone u
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    i installed your file and i have the tether app on my phone now but i cant figure out how to use my laptop off my phone u
    After you put it on, restart your phone.

After it restarts, launch the app, then turn WIFI "on"

On your Lap top, open wireless connections, connect to AoNet.
    your phone will "time out" after a bit, so you might look for the NoDoze app to keep it "awake"

Finally, go easy with your use of it as Sprint dose not care for this.
    this might sound dumb but i cant find wireless connections on my laptop
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    this might sound dumb but i cant find wireless connections on my laptop

Everybody is different, for me it is on my taskbar at the bottom right, I use the Intel pro wireless connection.

For others with Windows XP, it is in the control panel, under network connections. (Start menu, Control Panel, Network Connections.)
    i have vista is that the same as xp
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Your killin me.

I'm not a Vista man, but it should still have a control panel or network setting
    sorry im new with this, last thing when i find network setting i connect to aonet
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    yes, once you find "Available networks" Click or Right Click AoNet and choose to connect.

I'm sorry I don't know Vista well enough to walk you to it.
    i have the intel pro like you also thats what i use to connect to my router but i dont have aonet connection
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Refresh connections, dont forget your phone will time out without "NoDoze" turning off WIFI when it dose.
    ok thanks for your help i only have one network that i can connect to and its my wireless router no aonet thanks for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Speaking of that, does the updated installer work? Anyone tried it?
    Working Just Fine on my end jason! Thanks a bunch!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Working Just Fine on my end jason! Thanks a bunch!
    Adding this to the OP. Thanks again Jason.
    Outstanding job dude. Tethering as we speak, write, type, ......whatever. Thx a lot!
    good points[QUOTE=Leathal;1968253]I don't support the paid version of MyTether for the following reasons:

1) Misleading - MyTethe
    r is NOT [url= It is a paid app, full stop. The only reasons to call it donationware are to avoid taxation and to generate subconsciously mistaken goodwill from those who don't understand the terminology.

2) Violates Software Licensing - The paid version of MyTether installs the old wifi driver from before WebOS 1.2 (same thing my tutorial does). That driver is licensed under the GPL and requires the dev to fulfill certain expectations which have not even been cursorily addressed, especially for a pay app. WebOS and many many other pieces of far more useful software (hell, even the forums software running Precentral) would almost certainly not exist if not for GPL and LGPL software; abusing licensing like this is not something any WebOS user should support.

3) Cash Grab - In my opinion, the MyTether dev is using the WebOS 1.2 upgrade as a stick to drive users from the free version to the pay one. The fix is incredibly easy, as my first post described. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this, unlike numbers 1 and 2, but it rubs me the wrong way since the fix takes almost literally zero effort. This isn't something that took hours of coding to fix.[/QUOTE]
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...If i have MyTether 1.5 installed and have root access, and just put the following 2 lines in terminal as root, this is going to work just the same as the directions in the OP would work, right?

cd /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/net/wifi/
    wget http://www.mediafire.com/file/jywhtmrymzl/sd8xxx.ko

And then reboot, and I'm set. Any problems with changing the file this way instead of through WebOSQI?

ETA: Nope, this doesn't work right, hadn't looked at the link before.

ETA Again: It kinda does work with a couple more steps. In a browser, navigate to the link above, the one given in the OP, and copy the download link off of that page. Then in putty (or whatever), create a temp/backup folder in the directory given in the OP and wget the file using the download url you just acquired into the temp/backup folder. Then, just use cp to make a back-up of the 1.2.1 version of sd8xxx.ko on the pre, and use cp again to replace it with the sd8xxx.ko you just downloaded. Reboot, and done. Pretty simple, for those that already have root access and don't carry around a USB cable with them like me.
    Last edited by pullbangdead; 10/12/2009 at 12:32 AM.
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast