Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 382
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    4) I'm too cheap to pay for an application that the author created, and I cannot.
    That's pretty rude. The points listed were completely valid especially #2. I'm sure if someone took parts from Preware, and sold the application for $$ as their own, people would be equally upset. Licenses are put in place for a reason and should be respected, and I'm sure anyone from WebOS-Internals would agree
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    That's pretty rude. The points listed were completely valid especially #2. I'm sure if someone took parts from Preware, and sold the application for $$ as their own, people would be equally upset. Licenses are put in place for a reason and should be respected, and I'm sure anyone from WebOS-Internals would agree
    So, Aonic stole the tethering program and is selling it as his own?

    If that is the case, then I apologise for that comment.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    That's pretty rude. The points listed were completely valid especially #2. I'm sure if someone took parts from Preware, and sold the application for $$ as their own, people would be equally upset. Licenses are put in place for a reason and should be respected, and I'm sure anyone from WebOS-Internals would agree
    I am going to make no comment on the current issue that has been raised in this thread, but will make a generic statement:

    Copyright law is what protects both proprietary and open source software.

    Anyone who disregards copyright law, and knowingly and intentionally breaks the license on software (whether it be paid, free, proprietary or open source), should be shunned from the community, irrespective of who they are.

    To repeat, that is a general statement, not a comment on the current issue that has been raised in this thread. I'm staying right out of that quagmire, since there is still no carrier with a Terms of Service which allows tethering on the Pre.

    BTW, anyone who does try and take any of the open source software created by WebOS Internals and use it in a closed source product in a way which violates the open source license will quickly find themselves the target of a http://gpl-violations.org/ investigation.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    So, Aonic stole the tethering program and is selling it as his own?

    If that is the case, then I apologise for that comment.
    No he didn't steal the tethering program. He has the GPL licensed wifi driver embedded in his closed source paid app without labeling as such. I'm not sure of the other specifics that may be missing from the paid version, though I'm sure others are aware
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    No he didn't steal the tethering program. He has the GPL licensed wifi driver embedded in his closed source paid app without labeling as such. I'm not sure of the other specifics that may be missing from the paid version, though I'm sure others are aware
    Then my first comment was out of line.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    You forgot number 4.

    4) I'm too cheap to pay for an application that the author created, and I cannot.

    I really like this part of your rant:



    You do realise that by tethering, you are basically abusing your user agreement with Sprint because they do not allow tethering to begin with? Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
    I have no desire to risk the wrath of Sprint's legal dept just to rewrite an app. If I can get thermal compensation and decreased TX power working AND if a carrier ever allows tethering on the Pre, that's a different story.

    For clarification's sake, here is the licensing issue with the current version of MyTether. It distributes a GPLed driver in a closed-source, commercial product without ever mentioning that it uses GPLed code or providing the binary's source or a link to the source. It's actually kind of a big deal and landed Microsoft in some legal hot water a few years back if I remember right.

    I have no fundamental problems with MyTether. I think the price is too high for the work that went into writing it, but that's about it. I feel the same way about bundled cable channels but you don't see me posting threads about them! If aonic came out tomorrow and removed the misleading donation terminology and correctly licensed his app, I'd have no problems with him or his app.

    This thread was posted for people who want to reenable ad-hoc wifi mode in WebOS 1.2. I'd like to avoid arguing please.

    Edit: removed some stuff since it seems like Pioneer was honestly not understanding the issues at hand and not trolling.
    Last edited by Leathal; 10/11/2009 at 06:45 PM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    No he didn't steal the tethering program. He has the GPL licensed wifi driver embedded in his closed source paid app without labeling as such. I'm not sure of the other specifics that may be missing from the paid version, though I'm sure others are aware
    I guess this would be the genesis of the reason it's donationware??
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    This thread was posted for people who want to reenable ad-hoc wifi mode in WebOS 1.2.
    Speaking of that, does the updated installer work? Anyone tried it?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I guess this would be the genesis of the reason it's donationware??
    Payment and the GPL are completely unrelated.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10. vman77's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #30  
    So do you use MyTether? funny
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by vman77 View Post
    So do you use MyTether? funny
    Since you didn't quote anyone, and your post appeared after mine, I'll assume it's directed to me. If not, please ignore my response.

    I have a CDMA Pre which was bought with community donations, and imported to Australia, where it will never work as a phone.

    So tethering is irrelevant to anyone in my situation, because the Pre cannot currently be used on any carrier in my country.

    All of my previous and current unlocked-out-of-the-box GSM phones have had tethering enabled by default out of the box. There are no unlimited data plans in Australia, so the carriers love tethering, because it increases their revenue.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since you didn't quote anyone, and your post appeared after mine, I'll assume it's directed to me. If not, please ignore my response.

    I have a CDMA Pre which was bought with community donations, and imported to Australia, where it will never work as a phone.

    So tethering is irrelevant to anyone in my situation, because the Pre cannot currently be used on any carrier in my country.

    All of my previous and current unlocked-out-of-the-box GSM phones have had tethering enabled by default out of the box. There are no unlimited data plans in Australia, so the carriers love tethering, because it increases their revenue.

    -- Rod

    Way off topic here, but what do those data plans look like? Just curious, as the land down under has always been my "if not here where in the world would you call home", place?

    Oh and Jason, I can test it tonight if no one else has.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by vman77 View Post
    So do you use MyTether? funny
    I'm not sure who you are talking to. Yes, I use it only occasionally when I'm in a pinch. Yes, I donated, but I asked aonic if I could donate less (due to economic hardship) and he agreed. He's not a bad guy, but just a less than forthright communicator about what he is doing. I think it's good that some other people are holding him accountable for his actions. MyTether is not so much as a program as it is an "installer" for a custom configuration of existing software on the phone. I think any of the webos-internals people could have done the same thing but they didn't because some contacts at Palm told them Sprint would become upset if webos-internals developed a tether program. Aonic stayed out of the webos-internals camp and "just did what worked". That sort of allowed tethering to be done while allowing webos-internals to comply with Sprint's wishes. (I know none of this for a fact, but that's how I read the tea leaves.) Personally, I think Sprint should offer a tethering package on the Pre, but until they realize this, MyTether has been a workaround for many people who realistically need this feature from time to time.

    If I missed your point about why it's funny that people use MyTether, please feel free to post an additional clarification.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  14. #34  
    so if i have preware and i install tethering what else needs to be done to get my laptop working
  15. shaunooh's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #35  
    I Did try it, It works perfect. Thank you Jason. I'm Gonna save it for emergency use only so I don't get in to trouble.
    Last edited by shaunooh; 10/11/2009 at 07:39 PM.
  16. #36  
    so if i have preware and i install tethering what else needs to be done to get my laptop to connectt
  17. #37  
    what is it that im doing wrong to get tethering to work i have installed it thru preware but i cant connect to my laptop is there some steps i have to do
  18. shaunooh's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocman00 View Post
    so if i have preware and i install tethering what else needs to be done to get my laptop to connectt

    If it works as good as mine did, all you need to do is launch it, turn it on, and connect to it with your laptop like any other WIFI.
  19. #39  
    so you used preware and that was it
  20. shaunooh's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #40  
    No,

    I used Web os quick install method.

    Downloaded the ZIP from above.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions