Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ace23jc View Post
    I have been trying to tether my laptop through usb for awhile now and can't figure it out. I know there is a ton of info out there on it, but nothing seems to work for me I've read all the tutorials still notta can't even seem to find where to pay for the mytether program... can anyone help? I have a lil more than basic computer skills. I have windows 7 and the new update for web OS.
    Help?
    you shouldn't use mytether. Did you enable usbnet?
    No i'm not sure what that is? I thought mytether was the only program out there that would get it done?
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    Hey, is it possible to tether on Mac OS X Snow Leopard? I installed freeTether and I turned off wifi and all that, enabled USBnet on the phone but I think I'm missing something.

Also I tried to tether via bluetooth, and my Pre got a "Auth Error" saying my service account doesn't allow internet connection sharing. Help?

EDIT- Ok, I got bluetooth tethering to work. Turned out I was roaming and it didn't like that. Does USB and Wifi work?
    How did you get it to work? I get the Auth Error, I am not currently roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    How did you get it to work? I get the Auth Error, I am not currently roaming.
    Hmm, it's very finicky. It wasn't working til I got the Auth Error, then a webpage on my laptop finally loaded, then I lost connection when i pressed OK on the error dialog. Now I cant get it to work.
    anyone figure out how to get it to work with bluetooth on a mac?
    So i got it to work, but not sure what I did. Sometimes when I connect the computer to the phone via bluetooth the evdo symbol stays on, I get the not authorized problem, but it works. If the Evdo symbol goes away, it stops, not sure how to keep it from going away though...also not sure if the free tether app is actually doing anything in this case.
    Last edited by kkumar99; 01/12/2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: addition
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    anyone figure out how to get it to work with bluetooth on a mac?
    Okay, I think I figured it out. Make sure in freeTether you have IP FORWARDING "ENABLED" and NAT is also "ENABLED". On the Mac, click on the Bluetooth icon, select your Pre and "Connect to Network". Start surfing/checking mail/whatever. An "Auth Error" notification will appear on the Pre, but just backswipe and it'll go away. You'll still be online afterward. Hope that helps. I connected and disconnected a few times and it worked fine. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Cal View Post
    Okay, I think I figured it out. Make sure in freeTether you have IP FORWARDING "ENABLED" and NAT is also "ENABLED". On the Mac, click on the Bluetooth icon, select your Pre and "Connect to Network". Start surfing/checking mail/whatever. An "Auth Error" notification will appear on the Pre, but just backswipe and it'll go away. You'll still be online afterward. Hope that helps. I connected and disconnected a few times and it worked fine. Good luck!
    That still doesn't work consistently...anyone other ideas?
    ugh.... i'm still trying to figure out how to get the wireless tether to work with webos 1.3.5.1 Everything i try just doesn't wanna work

EDIT: just thought i'd pop in here and say i found a site that allows you to install Mytether 2.0.4 for FREE (windows and mac)http://www.wegeekedup.com/showthread.php?t=1647. It's another forum but if you join the forum (also free). at the bottom of the Post there are 2 zip files 1 for windows and 1 for mac download which ever you need. Make sure your phone is in Dev mode and is plugged into your computer via USB (charge only) before opening the zip file. Now you do have to install the patch that shuts down the camera. But it's clear as day in Mytether App under options you can uninstall the patch after your done tethering (and it works i've tried it). i did have the problem at first the Wifi tethering wanted to say limited connectivity after 3 min of use. But after i turned it off and the wifi on my computer off and turned them back on it was fine. I've been tether for about a hour now with my phone in the other room. Everything works fine now. And USB tethering works as well.
    Last edited by honda07si; 01/18/2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    usbnet enable in terminal will turn on usbnet so simply type the following into terminal app

Code:
    usbnet enable
    i just found this patch, so you can enable USBnet from an icon on the launcher.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...r-usbpass.html
    Can I get some help please I installed Ryans freetether on my phone but it doesn't do anything when hooked to my laptop, which is running windows xp. I'm new at all this so can someone please point me in the right direction. Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by 1country View Post
    Can I get some help please I installed Ryans freetether on my phone but it doesn't do anything when hooked to my laptop, which is running windows xp. I'm new at all this so can someone please point me in the right direction. Thank you very much
    Have you searched through this thread? I remember writing/seeing instructions on how to get it working. I would type it down for you, but its way too much. I suggest read from the last page and go backwards. You'll find instructions in no time.
    I got freetether on my pre, I've got an ip address, but the "Found new hardware installer on my laptop is not working properly. Instead of saying hardware type it says select network service, anyone know what I can do to fix this I'm on windows xp. Thank you in advance.
    I installed the driver, and everything looks fine, It says I'm connected, however I still have no connection. My wifi on my phone and computer is off but I still can't tether, help?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Heres the version attached that works...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6kid View Post
    Heres the version attached that works...
    What version is it? i.e. is it v2.0.4
    Does this version break wifi on phone if wifi is used?(as said in op)

Anything else we should be aware of? any special installation instructions?

Sorry, I didnt wanna read this entire thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by pakiplayer421 View Post

If using the wifi tethering patch, there is a good chance it will break the camera, 3D games, and wifi for good. You might have to Doctor your phone to fix these issues. Most times, disabling the patch will restore those lost functions, but sometimes it won't. Use at your own risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by pakiplayer421 View Post

if that zip file is from the site i linked above in my post then it's v 2.0.4 (which i downloaded from the site) it does not break wifi but wifi has to be turned off on your phone for it to work..... you do have to install a patch that turns the camera off. You can uninstall the patch when your done tethering and camera works fine. 3D games are effected but there is a fix for that on these forums as well i just don't know where it is at the moment. But my Wifi tethering and USB tethering works. used it pretty much all day yesterday.
    to get wifi working without breaking anything just download mobile hotspot and ryans free tether and u get wifi working again =) dont forget to thanks

this is what i do step by step

Install one by one with WebOS QI
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7
    us.ryanhope.freetether_0.0.1_all
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all

Open freeTether
    Check that both options (IP Forwarding and NAT) are ENABLED

Open Mobile HotSpot
    If first time
    Set SSID
    Set Encryption Type
    Set PassPhrase
    Turn it ON
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by carlos94080; 01/23/2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post

Instructions for USBNet driver instalation on Vista/7
    1. Be sure to turn on USBNet (requires reboot) in My Tether under USB options menu.
    2. Plug the phone into your computer
    3. Ignore the wizard that comes up asking for driver software.
    4. Navigate to the device manager, by hitting start button and typing "Device Manager" in the search box and click on it when results appear.
    5. You will see a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget" in the lest. Right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    6. In the wizard that came up, clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    7. In the next page, Clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    8. Chose "Network Adapter" in the list for type of hardware
    9. Under "Manufacturer", Chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    10. In "Network Adapter", chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then click Next and complete the wizard.
    Thanks! worked great!!!