Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    A working wifi tether in 1.3.5 and later, which does not involve replacing the wifi drivers with old, broken drivers and essentially breaking the phones Linux, will involve quite a bit of very low-level programming work.

To date, that has not been done by anyone.

If you are willing to live with USB and Bluetooth tethering instead of wifi, then I strongly recommend using Ryan's Freetether, which is available from the webos Internals testing feeds at Search Results for "preware.net"

You will need to download the freetether IPK from the webos-internals testing all feed and install it. it isn't not yet public in preware.

That said, it's there, it works, and it's utterly safe.

But no wifi. And no WORKING wifi which does not otherwise break the phone anytime terribly soon.

But then again, things change, software is released, cool things happen.

While there's life there's hope. But I strongly urge you to move to Ryan's freetether.
    Thanks for letting us know about this, I haven't installed MyTether since 1.3.1 because of issues along the line. I'm hoping the VZ hotspot app will lead to new breakthroughs in Wifi tethering on Sprint as well, but this is great for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos94080 View Post
    PM me if you want the donation version of my tether for free that works with 1.3.5.1 wifi too
    Ok, let me be clear _again again_

The donation version of mytether breaks the Pre. The most OBVIOUS symptom is that the camera fails, but honestly a LOT of stuff in graphics fail with the donation version of mytether.

So, you have the "shareware" version of mytether, which does usbnet, and sort of does bluetooth PAN.

You have the "paid" version of mytether which breaks the REST of the phone, and which you have to not only "uninstall" but reboot after uninstalling to get the rest of the phone working right (or you can't run doom, or quake or need for speed etc)

and you have freetether, by Ryan (who is ALWAYS available in the #webos-internals IRC channel as Puffthemagic) which does not CLAIM to make wifi work, but which is 100% simple safe and effective for usbnet and bluetooth.

Is that clear enough?

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceyted View Post
    So does Freetether break Wifi? You confused me at the "no WORKING wifi" part. I only USB tether, so that is all I am really interested in using. Mytether is working fine for me rright now but I would be interested in freetether just to fiddle with.
    Free Tether makes no attempt to work via wifi. It doesn't touch wifi, and therefore does not break it.

Mytether's "fix" for wifi breaks the REST of the phone. Which sucks.

And he won't communicate with other developers who have offered to help.

I presume this is because he wants to keep the $$$ for himself, I don't know.

but Free tether is safe, and works via USB and Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Want to try it but got confused at Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing where there is a choice of armVs and I686 directories. Within each there is a 1 Jan version of freetether. Which do we use?
    armv7 is for Palm Pre. armv6 is for Palm Pixi. And i believe i686 is for the emulator. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    That makes sense, its 43C here and my brain is a bit fried
    I know this is a MyTether thread buut to anyone that is reading and that can help..................I have both freeTether and its service installed. Will i need drivers on my 64-bit Win7 laptop and how will I make freeTether work?
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I know this is a MyTether thread buut to anyone that is reading and that can help..................I have both freeTether and its service installed. Will i need drivers on my 64-bit Win7 laptop and how will I make freeTether work?
    It is 5 am i have not slept yet.. hence i am not going to edit this to adapt to free tether. however you can use it as a refrence to install drivers on windows 7/vista.

Fyi guys. good idea not to have both free tether and mytether installed at same time.. free tether does same thing as free mytether does just not as user friendly.

Instructions for USBNet driver instalation on Vista/7
    1. Be sure to turn on USBNet (requires reboot) in My Tether under USB options menu.
    2. Plug the phone into your computer
    3. Ignore the wizard that comes up asking for driver software.
    4. Navigate to the device manager, by hitting start button and typing "Device Manager" in the search box and click on it when results appear.
    5. You will see a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget" in the lest. Right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    6. In the wizard that came up, clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    7. In the next page, Clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    8. Chose "Network Adapter" in the list for type of hardware
    9. Under "Manufacturer", Chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    10. In "Network Adapter", chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then click Next and complete the wizard.
    MatterOfFactJack
    What's the name of the service in testing to run "freetether?" I see org.webosinternals.gstservice_0.3.5_armv7.ipk, but was wondering if us.ryanhope.wircd_0.0.4_armv7.ipk is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor View Post
    What's the name of the service in testing to run "freetether?" I see org.webosinternals.gstservice_0.3.5_armv7.ipk, but was wondering if us.ryanhope.wircd_0.0.4_armv7.ipk is it?
    The service would be us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk.

The instructions for FreeTether to use USB tethering are pretty much the same, but the app is slightly less user friendly.

First, you'll need to turn on USBnet and reboot. Unlike MyTether, that needs to be done outside the program. You do this by using the ##USBPASS# hash code at the dialer, then entering the correct access code. You'll need to use the program attached here to get your access code. This program comes from Treo8.com and all credit belongs to them. After that you'll see a toggle switch for enabling USBnet. Turn that on and your device will reboot. Make sure not to touch the other selectors here. (If there's an easier way to turn on USBnet, let me know).

When you reboot, you'll have to install the drivers as detailed by jack. Then go back into FreeTether, and turn on NAT and IP Forwarding, and you should be all set.

Edit: Ignore this, see below for the easy way to turn on USBnet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jhoff80; 01/09/2010 at 03:58 PM.
    jhoff80 thank you for the USBPASS info. I still cannot find the service. I do not see it in the testing feed. Is it someplace else?
    jhoff80 thank you for the USBPASS info. I still cannot find the service. I do not see it in the testing feed. Is it someplace else?
    You have a Palm Pre right? I'll give you a link in just a bit

Okay so here is the service: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....0.3_armv7.ipk

And here is the app itself: http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-..._0.0.1_all.ipk
    So I tried enabling USBnet with ##USBPASS# but this pop-up shows up in the attached screen shot. What do i need to change to activate USBnet?

Also, I have ignored the pop-up, rebooted, turned on NAT and iP-Forwarding, but my doesn't recognize my phone acting as a modem and hasn't asked me to install drivers. Do I need to turn off wifi?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you've installed the terminal app or using the webos quick install command line, you can just type "usbnet enable" without the quotes and reboot your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    If you've installed the terminal app or using the webos quick install command line, you can just type "usbnet enable" without the quotes and reboot your phone.
    Sweet it worked!! Posting while tethered to my Pre!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by linwiz311 View Post
    Does this work instead of doing the ##USBPASS#? When I do ##USBPASS# and enter my access code, I get "Invalid authorization code entered." I have double checked my S/N. treo8.com is not much help since it is all in Chinese.
    Does this work instead of doing the ##USBPASS#? When I do ##USBPASS# and enter my access code, I get "Invalid authorization code entered." I have double checked my S/N. treo8.com is not much help since it is all in Chinese.
    Yes it does work instead of doing ##USBPASS#
    Sweet it worked!! Posting while tethered to my Pre!!!
    I am almost there, but need the last piece. I installed freeTether and service. Enabled USBNnet. I connected my Pre (Win 7 32 bit), and followed Jack's instructions which worked like a charm. I started freeTether and enabled IP forwarding. I get connected, but cannot connect to the internet. Any ideas as to what I am missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am almost there, but need the last piece. I installed freeTether and service. Enabled USBNnet. I connected my Pre (Win 7 32 bit), and followed Jack's instructions which worked like a charm. I started freeTether and enabled IP forwarding. I get connected, but cannot connect to the internet. Any ideas as to what I am missing?
    Make sure to turn off your laptop's and phone's wifi. Once that's done, it should connect after about a minute.
    Make sure to turn off your laptop's and phone's wifi. Once that's done, it should connect after about a minute.
    Thank you. That did it. Posting while tethered.