Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Oh feel free, I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate it.

The biggest problem I've found right now is that simply using the old WebOS 1.2 files to reenable tethering causes the media services to stop working properly. Writing a script to switch out the files and reboot will theoretically work, but requiring a reboot every time you start or stop using MyTether isn't a viable solution, imo.

It may be helpful to run a diff on related packages to compare the 1.2 and 1.3 changes. Palm finally posted the source to 1.3 on opensource.palm.com.
    Thanks, yea I already did some digging around to see what changes were made and it looks like it may be possible to get a fully functional Wifi tethering app without breaking other functionality that will have full source included so if it goes down again we can all dig through it to make it functional again..more of a community version with any bells and whistles we want to add. I still have my development Pre so i'm able to test its functionality their and also have a few in store demo's to test on as well. I'm not trying to steal any code from anyone though so the interface at first will be bare or limited until i get all function working. soon as I get something going i'll create a new thread, i'll just have to hop through a few more hoops to get around the issue.
  2.    #242  
    Quote Originally Posted by elryon View Post
    if the source is available.... couldn't someone simply recreate a new driver that has the functionality of both? I've never written a driver so I wouldn't know....
    Potentially, yes, we could recompile the Marvell wifi driver, which is open source.

Regardless, modifying wifi driver code and such is getting beyond what I want to do to keep someone else's closed source program working. If Binary Tech succeeds in fixing the wifi without anything else breaking, I'd definitely hop back into this with both feet to help him with an entirely new app that would be open source licensed.

In the long run though, this race will be lost if Palm is dead set against tethering. They could do all sorts of nasty stuff like break ad hoc at the kernel level that would be a nightmare to keep fixing. Keep your fingers crossed I guess.

Edit: Actually it looks like there's already a free tethering program in the works. Called Freetether, natch. Probably best if you just add your efforts to theirs Binary.
    Last edited by Leathal; 11/25/2009 at 02:56 PM.
    I could be totally off... and i am not saying this because i been supporting mytether... i support tethering in general and mytether does it well.

But.... Apps such as described above i feel like is what will cause palm to drop the hammer on tethering all together. Fully Open source and free... which a lot of people will go for meaning palm will see "security" risks at least what they will call it when they break tethering functionality all together.
    MatterOfFactJack
    If anybody else breaks their wifi and loses their "sd8xxx.ko" driver because you didn't backup...

Visit WebOS Repair Utility.

Once open... Go to > Tools > Restore > Then paste "/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/net/wifi/sd8xxx.ko" (no quotes)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Here's an easier way to access a quick check on battery life, date/time, wi-fi/bluetooth settings, etc.

Instead of tapping on the battery icon on the top right; tap on the time on the upper panel...much easier to access.
    Quote Originally Posted by wturnerharris View Post
    If anybody else breaks their wifi and loses their "sd8xxx.ko" driver because you didn't backup...

Visit WebOS Repair Utility.

Once open... Go to > Tools > Restore > Then paste "/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/net/wifi/sd8xxx.ko" (no quotes)
    thank you
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I think free my tether is giving me association failed problems when trying to simple connect to wifi (no tethering) even before the 1.3.1 update. I've been waiting for a fix and have searched this forum. I just want wifi working again and don't need the tethering (have removed free mytether). Am I right to think this file will fix my wifi in 1.3.1 (if i use quickinstall to put it in /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/kernel/net/wifi/)?

sd8xxx.ko - Windows Live
    Anymore progress here? I'd really like my tether back.
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGustafson View Post
    um... mytether works just use it? Letal did say aonic has re-enabled mytether free version to work with 1.3.1
    Free My Tether Back to Life in 1.3.1 | The Mx Web
    MatterOfFactJack
  10.    #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanGustafson View Post
    The free version of MyTether has been updated to work with WebOS 1.3.1, sans ad-hoc wifi mode. Bluetooth and USB tethering work as expected. You can get it at mytether.net

The paid version of MyTether utilizes a fairly kludgy hack to get ad-hoc wifi tethering operational; it interferes with basic functionality of the device (videos, camera, etc) as well as certain homebrew apps like Precorder that use video/camera related services. If you need your Pre to act as an ad-hoc wireless hotspot though, the paid version of MyTether remains the only way to go at this point.

Additionally there is an alpha release of FreeTether floating around, but it doesn't support ad-hoc mode yet.
    Is this freemytether being worked on at all?
    Hey all, first post here and thought I might want to start with a good one... I did some snooping and found a direct link to the 2.0.4 ipk... Installed it and it hasn't broken my WiFi or anything... But I haven't gotten the chance to test if the WiFi tethering is actually working or not. I was going to post the link, but I'd kind of like Leathal's and jack87's permission before I do... Don't want to get into any trouble, just wanted to breathe some life into a dying thread
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthebaek View Post
    Hey all, first post here and thought I might want to start with a good one... I did some snooping and found a direct link to the 2.0.4 ipk... Installed it and it hasn't broken my WiFi or anything... But I haven't gotten the chance to test if the WiFi tethering is actually working or not. I was going to post the link, but I'd kind of like Leathal's and jack87's permission before I do... Don't want to get into any trouble, just wanted to breathe some life into a dying thread
    Its not our permission to give the app belongs to Aonic I figure if he wanted it to be public he would of posted it. I would advise against it. haha but thats your call really
    MatterOfFactJack
    I got mytether 2.0.4 for free to its easy to fing it
    ... Yeah I guess I'll keep it to myself... (*cough as should you carlos haha)... but... well, it's out there if you look hard enough :P
    yeah ill just keep it to my self
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos94080 View Post
    I got mytether 2.0.4 for free to its easy to fing it
    Im having problems finding it! Do I get some sort of hint as to where it is? PM it to me if ya can.
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    Im having problems finding it! Do I get some sort of hint as to where it is? PM it to me if ya can.
    there's a link on meatspin.com
    Quote Originally Posted by phidalgo View Post
    there's a link on meatspin.com
    i think u lie. its just a man, 2 man, and his thing like that of helicopter. . . where to find that link?
  20.    #260  
    Hahaha wow that response made my day