1.    #1  
    Hello,

I am surprised there isn't anything like this for the Pre. I would pay for an app like this.

With all of the articles and reports about the Backup to cloud system not working or simply FAILING (T-Mobile + Microsoft/Danger = Customers data lost). I am requesting a simple tool to backup Contacts, pictures, files (saved word, xls, PDF files), SMS, etc... This would be something that would backup to the PRE itself. And then be able to copy/sync it with your desktop/laptop computer.

When I had my Mogul with Winmo 6 on it. I had found a program on XDA Developers site called PIM Backup.
    [NEW] PIM Backup v2.8 [NEW] - xda-developers

It allowed just that...to backup any and/or all of those and then some directly to my Mogul. And then I copied it to my computer for backup. Theoretically I could have had a backup on the phone memory, the SD card (my choice when I did this on the Mogul), and also on my computer.

Not only could I choose which files and/or directories to backup. But it allowed full backup of contacts, and SMS as well. It gave me the option to set automatic backups but I chose to do it manually.

Honestly, hearing about these cloud backup failures has me worried. I checked and the last time my phone had done an "automatic" backup was on 09/28/09. I imagine that is when it still had 1.1 on there. 1.2.x seems to have broke a lot of things.

I don't see why this couldn't be possible with the Pre. Have it backup to the pre filesytem that isn't locked. And be able to restore as well. You could hook up the USB cable to the Pre and copy that file to your computer.

Please say this is possible (I am willing to pay after testing out a homebrew beta app). I have to many work contacts to risk losing to a failed backup system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    Please say this is possible (I am willing to pay after testing out a homebrew beta app). I have to many work contacts to risk losing to a failed backup system.
    Contacts (and Calendar) are no problem. Use Google and export the files to your PC each night (or week, whatever).

Any media (files, pictures, music) should already be backed up as they came from your PC to begin with (or you can create a copy using USB).

Now, it might be nice to have "everything", automatically backed up. But you still have to get it off of the Pre somehow, and my experience is that people talk about backup a lot more than they actually do it. IMO, a good "cloud" solution (like Google) is your best bet. The T-mobile/sidekick issue doesn't prove that that cloud is bad, only that there were some holes in that particular implementation.
    Just fyi, I will probably we workin on some form of backup in the future. No ETA, as I have other stuff in the works at the moment. But if nothing else comes in the meantime at least there's that to look forward to, heh
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just fyi, I will probably we workin on some form of backup in the future. No ETA, as I have other stuff in the works at the moment. But if nothing else comes in the meantime at least there's that to look forward to, heh
    Awesome! Looking at and using some of your other programs I am sure it would be a great addition. This would be a welcome and much needed app for the Pre.

In the meantime, I will have to look into this Google backup solution. Does anyone know the link I need to go to? Or is it just google and calendar? Thanks
    Yes this would be an awesome addition to quick install (or as a completely different program). I'm glad to hear that people already have a solution in mind.
  6.    #6  
    Has there been any development on a backup solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Now, it might be nice to have "everything", automatically backed up. But you still have to get it off of the Pre somehow, and my experience is that people talk about backup a lot more than they actually do it.
    But if it could be done by WiFi, it could be automatic at preset intervals, as long as you're in range of your network.

With my Treo and Centro, I loved having nightly backups to the SD card.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Being a Palm rep and walking into all the Sprint stores, THIS IS MY #1 REQUEST FROM ALL THE REPS! Palm should have developed a desktop app like Blackberry but if they cant I'm sure developer can.
    Yeah, I'm getting ready to exchange my Pre and I'd really like a program that would back it up. I don't want to lose the last 6 months of texts, etc.