Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Browsing the webOS internals wiki today, I noticed this application called Preware. Application:Preware - WebOS Internals I installed it, and it actually is a very good app. Personally I prefer it to filecoaster or Preload because it has an update section, so I can easily check out the updates of apps I already have installed.
    Last edited by Jtemple33; 08/29/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Yeah I've been trying to figure out how to put PreWare on my phone but I guess instructions are not enough for me tonight. Can you shed some light on the install process. I have filecoaster and preload on my pre...is it as easy as downloading ipk's? Thanks in advance.
    use webos quick install. you have to click the 3rd box down on the right, go to web os internals, install the package manager, then preware. hope this helps
    I just updated the preware package manager through preware itself. I have a feeling that I shouldn't have since there is a new app called "Ignore this icon". When I tap it a notification pops up stating that it is called Dangerous Service and it will run a script once I press okay. So I pressed cancel. Tmrw I'm going to uninstall and reinstall preware and the package manager. Hopefully that Dangerous Service goes away afterwords.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I just updated the preware package manager through preware itself. I have a feeling that I shouldn't have since there is a new app called "Ignore this icon". When I tap it a notification pops up stating that it is called Dangerous Service and it will run a script once I press okay. So I pressed cancel. Tmrw I'm going to uninstall and reinstall preware and the package manager. Hopefully that Dangerous Service goes away afterwords.
    That's a demo of the "secure informed user consent" service.

When an advanced homebrew application (like Terminal, or AccelService, or MyTether) needs to run commands as root as part of the installation process, that screen will pop up and ask for your consent. We released the alpha version so that we could get feedback on it from the alpha testers.

This is required to prevent a rogue webOS application masquerading as, say, a wallpaper switcher app, installing a custom plugin or service that grabs your bank details and emails them off to some botnet.

With such installation scripts being presented in clear text to the user at installation time, there will be a deterrent to doing such things.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtemple33 View Post
    Browsing the webOS internals wiki today, I noticed this application called Preware. Application:Preware - WebOS Internals I installed it, and it actually is a very good app. Personally I prefer it to filecoaster or Preload because it has an update section, so I can easily check out the updates of apps I already have installed.

I understand its very alpha, and so im sure it will only get better with time.
    I believe in the future it will also support installing patches.

However, I do have a question to any one that has the app or worked on developing it...

If you go to available patches>libs it shows a list of services etc.
    They dont have any description, so what are they? (probably a stupid question)

thanks
    Those are the underlying services and plugins for advanced homebrew applications. Up until now, you've needed to access Linux to install such things. Once Preware hits 1.0.0, you'll be able to securely install such things without needing Linux root access.

At this stage, anyone alpha testing Preware should really be hanging out in the #webos-internals IRC channel. Whilst it already has more application management functionality that any other on-device installer (and we believe it looks much better too, but we're biased), we're not ready for general use until we get secure execution of post install scripts completed.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesonrw View Post
    use webos quick install. you have to click the 3rd box down on the right, go to web os internals, install the package manager, then preware. hope this helps
    Note that as the wiki instructions state, you need webos quick install version 2.01 or later. Version 2.0 had a bug which prevented the reliable running of the post install script (which is necessary for the Package Manager Service to operate correctly).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Preware ROCKS. not to knock filecoaster, but preware is leaps and bounds ahead and only getting better. the guys over at Main Page - WebOS Internals are doing amazing work.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah, I just got an update today, and now that it has categories and dates im very impressed. this will definitely be the default on-pre installer.
    So it would be safe to let "Dangerous Service" install the script, since its just an example?
    It doesn't do anything at all. It's just a test of how it will look.

Really, it shouldn't even appear in the launcher in the first place, the appinfo.json says 'visible: false' (like the developer mode launcher.)
  12.    #12  
    mine went away after a reboot.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    preware is awesome! wasn't intuiative on how to set it up though, but after being setup, it's fast and has became my favorite method for adding/updating programs..

(wasn't obvious that I had to click the 'secure consent demo' before it'd start working.. what the heck was that..)
    -m
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    preware is awesome! wasn't intuiative on how to set it up though, but after being setup, it's fast and has became my favorite method for adding/updating programs..

(wasn't obvious that I had to click the 'secure consent demo' before it'd start working.. what the heck was that..)
    -m
    Hmm - clicking on the secure consent demo should not have any effect on whether Preware works or not.

It seems that the service behind Preware needs some time to start properly - I expect it was just closing and restarting Preware which made it work for you.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Hmm - clicking on the secure consent demo should not have any effect on whether Preware works or not.

It seems that the service behind Preware needs some time to start properly - I expect it was just closing and restarting Preware which made it work for you.

-- Rod
    Might have needed a reboot (which I did do..)

btw - right now, preware is able to install, but filecoaster and the official app store aren't I don't get it.. I have plenty of disk space free
    Code:
    Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                  452296    225472    226824  50% /
    /dev/root                31728     11368     20360  36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            452296    225472    226824  50% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
                            452296    225472    226824  50% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs                     2048       196      1852  10% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
                            253920     55756    198164  22% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
                             39664      8248     31416  21% /var/log
    tmpfs                    65536       260     65276   0% /tmp
    tmpfs                   122516         0    122516   0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
                           5952132   2160428   3791704  36% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-optmedia
                           1048180    320484    674448  32% /opt
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    btw - right now, preware is able to install, but filecoaster and the official app store aren't I don't get it.. I have plenty of disk space free
    That is because it is the built-in restricted-in-functionality Palm installation service which is setting this arbitrary limit on installation of applications, and both the Palm official app store and fileCoaster use that service.

Preware uses the webos-internals ipkgservice, which is a service front-end to the fundamental ipkg binary that is the underlying mechanism by which package management happens on the device (and which has been used for managing packages on embedded devices for at least 5 years), which is only limited by the disk space available and has no other arbitrary imposed limits.

-- Rod
    Hey i was wondering after I downloaded a patch from preware app my web browser app stopped working completely even wifi! Did this happen to anyone else? and is there a way to fix this issue?????

RoaR
    Preware doesn't support patches yet, so I'm not sure how you managed to download a patch from it that broke your browser and wifi...
    lol its weird, ill tell in a sec what i dl to kill my internet connection

RoaR
    its one of these A) terminal service plugin B) preware patch utility or 3) Optware Loopback MOUNT/UNMOUNT

after installing one of these, my internet connection was gone

RoaR
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast