1.    #1  
    I'm not sure if this is a Dev question but im sure if no one here has an answer there probably isn't one.

My phone was damaged and I am getting a replacement. I have a lot of text messages I would like to be able to either transfer to the new phone or just retrieve off the old phone. The phone still works but the screen is damaged and just black, so i can't see what is appearing on it. The touch functionality still works though.

the phone is rooted (although I can't enable/find dev mode since the screen is blank) and I was hoping there was a way to access whatever part of the memory the texts are stored in. Is there a way to do this or maybe use the emulator to actually activate my phone (i am not sure if it can do that but i am imagining something like remote desktop on a pc..)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or a definite "can't be done" so i can give up.
    thanks
    Searchy McSearcherson swoops in with his magic ability to type stuff into the place marked SEARCH....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...+text+messages

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...y-pre-but.html

Your welcome!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, I did search but apparently not with the right keywords.

Those steps are definitely what i was hoping to find but the problem now is I can't really get into the phone without the ability to see the screen. I can probably enable dev mode without seeing the screen images b/c it's pretty straight forward but to SSH/putty in, i need the IP address which i can't see.

any thoughts on how to get into the phone with out that, or perhaps use the emulator to "host" my phone instead of a virtual one?
    Last edited by krezlen; 10/09/2009 at 09:51 PM.
    I'm currently taking a crap so don't feel like looking it up but one of those free MAC address discovery tools should do the trick for you. After your Pre is in dev mode run the MAC app to find all the IPs on your network...the Pre will be one of them.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 10/09/2009 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by krezlen View Post
    Thanks, I did search but apparently not with the right keywords.

Those steps are definitely what i was hoping to find but the problem now is I can't really get into the phone without the ability to see the screen. I can probably enable dev mode without seeing the screen images b/c it's pretty straight forward but to SSH/putty in, i need the IP address which i can't see.

any thoughts on how to get into the phone with out that, or perhaps use the emulator to "host" my phone instead of a virtual one?
    if you're looking for the ip address on your home network, look in your router.

otherwise use novaterm to get into the phone and run ifconfig.

edit: looking at the directions, why do you need the ip address? just connect via novaterm and copy the file over...
    Last edited by PoundSand; 10/09/2009 at 10:16 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks both for the help. The procedure worked like a charm. It was a bit of a trick to enable developer mode on the phone without seeing the screen but I got it.

You are right about novaterm. I had always used Putty which required an IP address to SSH in, because novaterm always crashed on my computer. I first went and troubleshooted that and once novaterm was working i was able to get in and get the file out.