1.    #1  
    After careless updating, and basically making a useless mess of my pre, I had to Doctor back to 1.1

I posted about some of my issues on another thread, but I wanted to share some interesting observation about how I FINALLY solved a few major issues with my Tweaks.

After the return to OS 1.1 and subsequent updating to 1.2.1, I was using QI 2.7.2 to try to bring back my Tweaks and Mods and was having endless issues, some Im sure were my fault, maybe order of install or whatever.

But after some well spent time this am with rwhitby in IRC I DID get my VK back YAY! But still could NOT for the life of me, get ANY of the System mod Tweaks to "take" from QI 2.7.2. It would look like it was doing it, ie; landscape email, would luna resart, but would not work,. This was the same for hiding nascar/NFL, add laucher pages, silence dialing tones/add haptic, and ALL the actual system mods. The image change ones were ok, dialer background, battery %, etc.

I tried and tried, cycling thru it various ways to NO avail.

In scouring thru the bazillion posts about some of the issues, one of them seemed to make some throw away off the cuff mention of using QI 2.0.3.

Well I had saved that, so I fired up the Pre with QI 2.0.3, saw NO Tweaks, checked the landscape email one, let it restart luna and GUESS WHAT??

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So NOW my VK and my Landscape email work! Those were the ones I was MOST upset about losing..

So feeling encouraged, I went back and tried
    Hide Nascar, WORKED
    Hide NFL WORKED
    Silence dialer/haptic feedback WORKED
    Add launcher page WORKED

I am once again in Happy Pre Land..

I have NO idea why these things do NOT work for ME, in QI 2.7.2, but for now, Im leaving it all alone! and going back to my happy life as a happy Pre User with a lovely on screen keyboard, email in landscape, and having as many launcher pages as I want~!

Of course, I have no hair left, from the overall experience, but some people think bald aging chubby women are very attractive
    QI prior to 2.7 does not use the AutoPatch underbelly and most of the patches are not ported to 1.2. This means you can only remove your tweaks with QI 2.03, you won't be able to use them all, you won't be able to see updates and/or new patches, Emergency Patch Recovery can not be used, and it is not interoperable with other installers like Preware.

I wouldn't recommend using an old QI version, even if some of the things happen to work on the surface. I think Jason would agree with me, but I will defer to him as he knows his application.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
  3.    #3  
    Hmmm so what IS the recommended solution to get things like landscape email and the others working with 2.7.2 and os 1.2.1?
    I've been very satisfied Preware's autopatch feed. Plus the added benifit of on device patching and the emergency patch removal.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I've been very satisfied Preware's autopatch feed. Plus the added benifit of on device patching and the emergency patch removal.
    +1
    But don't you need WOSQI to get Preware onto your phone in the first place?

If not, how do you do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

Double post FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post

You do. But once you have Preware installed, you can do everything within the pre itself. You dont technically need to have QI available for patching at that point, however QI is still very important, so i suggest having it available on you primary desktop.

9.    #9  
    What exactly IS the purpose of the above? I do have it now, on the Pre in Preware, but not sure of its use???/

Thanks
    It allows you to install patches via the Preware interface on the device itself. So a new patch comes out when I am at work and I want it...BAM i can install the script without using my Desktop at all! Also it gives me a nice and easy way of removing all patches in case an update comes out again while Im away from my PC. I Prefer it over QI simply because its done on the go. Also I can install as many patches as I want with only 1 luna restart to make them active. The last QI i used to "Tweak" required a restart with every patch. A time consuming process.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 10/07/2009 at 04:53 PM.

11.    #11  
    ok wel that sounds good I guess. Too bad it does me no good at this point as Im restricted to using 2.0.3 to get the tweaks working that I want.

Maybe with the next update I'll have better luck, or at least be more careful
    It doesn't matter what WQI you have. If you have preware intalled in you phone just look for Autopatch-feed under available apllications, install it. Close Preware and open it again, this time you'll see tha the number of available patches is around 53. From there you can get any pacth without having to connect to your PC. Hope that helps.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mudotron View Post
    It doesn't matter what WQI you have. If you have preware intalled in you phone just look for Autopatch-feed under available apllications, install it. Close Preware and open it again, this time you'll see tha the number of available patches is around 53. From there you can get any pacth without having to connect to your PC. Hope that helps.

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! I think Im seeing a breakthru here

So I was not sure where to look for this autopatch, but now I see its under available packages, then patches.. I see 68 of them there.

I need to un do one to test it, via the 2.0.3 that I have it workig thru, and try it with this autopatch

Thanks for the eye opener.,

back hopefully soon with good news
    Goodluck! And check out the easy theme installers too! Mine is the ZomPre! now you can have the whole mrloserpunk experiance right in the comfort of your own PRE!

version 1.2.1 patches would be awesome.......
  16.    #16  
    ok, so a bit more progress, but the first few I wanted to experiment with, are not even available in that autopatch.

Like the Hide Nascar and NFL, they dont work in QI, they are not available or at least I cant see them in Autopatch. Then the otehr one I wanted to try was the haptic feedback instead of tones on the dialer, but dont see that either in Autopatch. I had to re do that with 2.03.

Finally I found one, that actually worked with QI 2.72, the battery icon and %. I took it off with QI and re did it with Autopatch.. It did not auto re start luna so I just restarted the phone, and it works fine.

I want to try the landscape email, take it off in QI 2.03 and see if it works doing it thru Autopatch..

but some progress I guess..

So thanks everyone for the handholding..