Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Whoever wrote gDialPro must have been an iPhone developer. He releases updates to his application every 5 minutes with what I can only assume to be the sole intention of remaining at the top of the "new and recently updated" app lists.

I vote that PreCentral exercises more intelligence than Apple and stops rewarding developers who update too frequently.

gDialPro is a great application, but the developer could learn to wrap several updates into fewer releases.
    it does get annoying pretty quickly
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    It's free....just don't update if you don't want.
    Doesn't look like he's updates since the 4th and that was to fix the issues people were having with the webos 1.2.1 update.
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Are you kidding? The reason he updates a lot is because he's RESPONSIVE to all the user feedback he continuously gets in his forum thread. Because of his dedicated attentiveness to improve his program to meet the desires of its users he has one of the best apps availabe. I rank it up there with mytether, preware, etc.

You're barking up the wrong tree with your complaint.
    Last edited by xtn; 10/13/2009 at 11:29 AM.
    I love people who complain about something that is FREE and very USEFUL. God forbid he is trying to make a good, bug free app...
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I *love* devs that have frequent updates..

If you don't like it and your version is working fine, wait out an update.
    -mark
    If more developers created fixes and better versions in the same manner as he does then WebOS homebrew would be in much better shape.

He is doing amazing work with gDialPro and the new versions help a lot.

It is a free app and he does not get anything but pride for having it on that stupid list. He simply wants to get releases out quickly so people can use it and test it so he can ship a new stable version for the official app catalog.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    All of you seemed to miss the point. Like I said, gDialPro is a great app and I never said I was against developers making updates to their products and listening to user feedback.

However, like the iPhone app store, some devs constantly update their software version for the purpose of remaining at the top of the "new software" lists. To me, it's the same thing as spam - what could be a useful feature turns into a list of the most obsessive developers' software. Actual new software gets pushed down and maybe even missed altogether.

Just imagine if every developer was releasing daily updates. It would become difficult to find new software and software with updates you actually care about.

Developers are allowed to have sane update schedules. I don't actually know how often gDialPro is updated, but every time I open preware it seems like there is an update for it - and every time I look to see what the new software is, gDialPro is near the top.

So again, I'm not against updates or free software, or this particular software - I'm only against people abusing the "new software" lists.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    some devs constantly update their software version for the purpose of remaining at the top of the "new software" lists.
    That would make sence if it were a paid for app, but it is free. He has nothing to gain by doing that. He is just trying to make it the best he can.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    Whoever wrote gDialPro must have been an iPhone developer. He releases updates to his application every 5 minutes with what I can only assume to be the sole intention of remaining at the top of the "new and recently updated" app lists.

I vote that PreCentral exercises more intelligence than Apple and stops rewarding developers who update too frequently.

gDialPro is a great application, but the developer could learn to wrap several updates into fewer releases.
    Wow, I really appreciate the support that people have shown for me and my app in this thread. My development style is to do frequent small releases, just a preference and style I have picked up over time.

Last week was especially more frequent as webOS 1.2 on Monday completely fubar'ed my app for most users and it was a crazy conglomeration of bugs which required many releases to get worked out.

Having said that, it will sound weird maybe but I do agree with the point of this thread. It is in no way my intention to crowd out or spam the new updates listing on Precentral. Maybe this is something Precentral could rectify by allowing a developer to specify whether their release is a "major" update and then they would be able to police those who they feel are taking advantage of that flag too much.

That sort of option would allow me to continue to do releases at the pace I prefer, while not keeping my app at the top of the new updates/apps list so that truly new apps get their chance on the top. I will send this thread to Dieter just to see if they have any input on it.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    I'll see about a 'major vs minor' feature for updates - in the meantime I guess the best thing is for the developer to indicate to me whether or not the app update warrants a new date.
    interesting complaint...but I happened to use his latest release to call Canada this morning and worked Perfectly!!!

I say keep up the Great Work and Thank You... Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I'll see about a 'major vs minor' feature for updates - in the meantime I guess the best thing is for the developer to indicate to me whether or not the app update warrants a new date.
    Ok, that works for me in the interim. I will denote in my submission notes when it is just a minor update and to not change the date on it.

Hopefully all will be satisfied now and we can get back to making good apps
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Well, before changing procedures, maybe first it would be a good idea to see if it's an issue with just one person, or if others feel that its an issue?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    In my opinion... the whole topic is silly. If a dev is out of control... fine, handle it. Anyone who spends 5 seconds in the gDialPro thread can see that this is not the case. Shame on flpalm for trying to fix an issue that wasn't clear or effecting everyone as a result of a webOS update. I for one am glad he doesn't take the approach of "it works for me, so tough luck for you."
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I for one like the speedy updates. Doesn't bother me at all. How hard is it to hit update app?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    Ok, that works for me in the interim. I will denote in my submission notes when it is just a minor update and to not change the date on it.

Hopefully all will be satisfied now and we can get back to making good apps
    You are awesome man! Your app is amazing, and the updates only prove that you are a true developer, and stand by your app. Thanks for the awesome app, my iPhone owning coworkers are jealous
    I love the app and the updates. I have yet to use an update that makes the app worse instead of better. Whatever pace works for the developer is the right pace in my opinion. No one forces the user to constantly update.
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I *love* devs that have frequent updates..

If you don't like it and your version is working fine, wait out an update.
    -mark
    Agreed! It means that they are on top of their game!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast