1.    #1  
    Maybe someone can explain this to me, I saw last week that Vonage released an app for the iPhone that allows you to make long distance calls from your cell phone, over wifi. You buy minutes from Vonage and it ends up being its less expensive then paying the cost that your cell phone service provider would charge. So if that is possible, wouldn't it also be possible for an app to let me make calls over wifi from my cell phone that would just use my Vonage minutes? Is this something Vonage absolutely has to create, or is it possible for anyone to write it? I want this app ASAP!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    Maybe someone can explain this to me, I saw last week that Vonage released an app for the iPhone that allows you to make long distance calls from your cell phone, over wifi. You buy minutes from Vonage and it ends up being its less expensive then paying the cost that your cell phone service provider would charge. So if that is possible, wouldn't it also be possible for an app to let me make calls over wifi from my cell phone that would just use my Vonage minutes? Is this something Vonage absolutely has to create, or is it possible for anyone to write it? I want this app ASAP!
    Not sure why anyone would need to make the long distance via Vonage, seeing as how most plans have free long distance. Now if it was just using the Vonage minutes... It could be treated just like their soft phone product. And Yes, I have a feeling this would need to come from Vonage. They control what devices / software can connect to their network.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I don't really understand the app either. Seems really useless that its only for long distance. So whats soft phone?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    It would be useful for international calls. Google Voice also would work, which already exists and there are a few apps for it in hombrew and at least one in the official app catalogue.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, I have been tinkering with google voice the past few days. Its fun to play with, but its not VoIP. I'll probably end up contacting Vonage about this, but their customer service people will most likely not have very much of an idea on what I'm talking about. It seems though, if I'm paying Vonage a service fee every month, I should be able to make the calls any way I wish, including from my cell phone as long as it remains over IP.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by userengel View Post
    Yes, I have been tinkering with google voice the past few days. Its fun to play with, but its not VoIP. I'll probably end up contacting Vonage about this, but their customer service people will most likely not have very much of an idea on what I'm talking about. It seems though, if I'm paying Vonage a service fee every month, I should be able to make the calls any way I wish, including from my cell phone as long as it remains over IP.
    They can charge for essentially every device that connects to their system. Soft Phone is their product that is basically a windows software program allowing your computer to be a vonage phone. It get's a phone number of it's own.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    It get's a phone number of it's own.
    And that's why they can charge you for it, because its an additional line. I don't see what the down side would be for them if they let their customers make calls from a cell phone also. I'd only be using it when not at the office and only if I wanted it to look like I was still at the office. lol
    So is there an App for Webos for "Vaonage extensions"
    Basically I want to make vonage calls from my Veer using my Vonage plan

There is an App for Iphone and Android, need it for webos too

Nikhil
    If you want the app for Vonage, you'll have to contact them and ask them to port it over to webOS.
    You don't need an app for vonage extension, just dial the extension, pin and then the number you are calling. The only problem I have is that I have to remember the number that I need to dial