17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Ogg would have made the Pre super powerful

5 29.41%
  • No, Flash rules the online video world, it should be supported

9 52.94%
  • Other (please explain)

3 17.65%
  1.    #1  
    I saw that the Pre is going to be adding Flash. But should they have added OGG instead? (For those who don't know, ogg is an open video format that can do a heck of a lot more than flash can. Check out the Firefox 3.5 video for more info) Using Ogg, would have been amazing for gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I saw that the Pre is going to be adding Flash. But should they have added OGG instead? (For those who don't know, ogg is an open video format that can do a heck of a lot more than flash can. Check out the Firefox 3.5 video for more info) Using Ogg, would have been amazing for gaming.
    Ogg is a container not a video format. Are you thinking the container that supports MPEG-4 video with audio in formats such as Vorbis or FLAC?

Ogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Kyusaku; 10/06/2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
    while i would love to see ogg support, flash is still very necessary for a web based phone in my opinion.

However, i see no reason that they couldnt do both
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    If given a choice between those two, Flash is definitely the best choice.

While I do still hope to see additional formats and codecs supported, Ogg wouldn't be my first choice. However, my desire for support outside of Flash isn't based on streaming.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Flash can already stream x.264 which most devices can decode at the hardware level, I'd prefer that over ogg theora.
  6.    #6  
    Yes, but are you guys all aware of the differences between the two?

Flash is stuck in a box that cannot change size once loaded, cannot be moved around, rotated, etc.

Ogg can be rotated, moved around, resized, skinned - you can (using javascript in your page) actually interact with the video to find objects inside it and alter them, get snapshots at any moment within the video, etc. It's perfect for something like WebOS.

Some of these features are visible here (you MUST have Firefox 3.5 to view this, no other browser yet supports this HTML 5 tag): Dailymotion - Online Videos, Music, and Movies. Watch a Video Today!

And a youtube showing this: