1.    #1  
    Any way to create an app that backs up the things that Palm doesn't? Like pictures, text messages, bookmarks, documents, etc. Maybe this can be implemented with WebOS Quick Install. Also maybe a quick backup of all the homebrew apps so if we have to use WebOS Doctor, it's just a matter of restoring using this new backup app.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwjd4pk View Post
    Any way to create an app that backs up the things that Palm doesn't? Like pictures, text messages, bookmarks, documents, etc. Maybe this can be implemented with WebOS Quick Install. Also maybe a quick backup of all the homebrew apps so if we have to use WebOS Doctor, it's just a matter of restoring using this new backup app.
    I would ABSOLUTELY pay for this. UP to $9.99, I think!

But it would also need to backup:

• links between contacts not auto-linked by webOS (this is a big one)
    • call history
    • speed dial settings/associations
    • sms history (another biggie: i HATE losing saved old chats)
    • IM history
    • installed homebrew apps and settings
    • icon locations (i move lesser used icons to the last page, for example)
    • ringtone settings

Prolly other stuff I cannot think of right now. anybody else??
    I mentioned a while ago I had a basic one in the works. That kinda got de-railed thanks to school, WOSQI, and a Theme Builder upgrade. If you people are still interested, I may continue development after I finish v2.73 WOSQI and after the Theme Builder update. Not sure if I'd make it freeware or shareware though, and there'd need to be lots of beta testing.
    Well...sort of.

Right now, you can read files off a WebOS device in an application. The problem is, you can't save/write files to a WebOS device. So you could take all those items and save them to an external web address but there would be no way for the backup app to put them back on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Right now, you can read files off a WebOS device in an application. The problem is, you can't save/write files to a WebOS device. So you could take all those items and save them to an external web address but there would be no way for the backup app to put them back on the device.
    I think you're thinking of an on-device solution. I was referring to a desktop backup solution.

Also, you can do basic file writing with my FileMgr Service
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I mentioned a while ago I had a basic one in the works. That kinda got de-railed thanks to school, WOSQI, and a Theme Builder upgrade. If you people are still interested, I may continue development after I finish v2.73 WOSQI and after the Theme Builder update. Not sure if I'd make it freeware or shareware though, and there'd need to be lots of beta testing.
    Like I said above: I'd pay for this. This is a must-have app, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    Like I said above: I'd pay for this. This is a must-have app, IMHO.
    DITTO - I need to exchange my phone because the earpiece doesn't work but I don't want to go through the headache of backing everything else up.
    Would be curious how such would interact with the Palm Profile service. Already seeing backing up apps being a legal issue since it may lead to copyright matters, lots of hombrew goin into Palm App catalog with a $$ to them now.
  9.    #9  
    I agree with Jason that this should not be a free app. I would pay for it. I think 85% of Pre-owners would get it. Can you imagine how much time people would save? As soon as I get paid I am donating for this cause plus all of the other stuff you have done for us. God Bless!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thetreoguys View Post
    Would be curious how such would interact with the Palm Profile service. Already seeing backing up apps being a legal issue since it may lead to copyright matters, lots of hombrew goin into Palm App catalog with a $$ to them now.
    Nope, not a legal issue. All EULA's now allow for personal backups. This was a legal issue a decade or two ago and resolved back then. The precedent is there now.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm very interested in a good backup app and I'd be quite willing to pay well for it.
    I'd drop $50 (or more) on a good backup app in a heartbeat.
    Something like BackupBuddy. Backup everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I think you're thinking of an on-device solution. I was referring to a desktop backup solution.

Also, you can do basic file writing with my FileMgr Service
    Jason, have you checked out this thread using Rsync to backup the Pre:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-your-pre.html

It would be cool if a script for this could be integrated into WOQI...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Oh that would be SUPER useful!!!!! ii
    I would love to have a complete backup, to a PC/MAC or just to the USB drive that I can copy off of.

Either way the ability to back it all up and be able to file by file 100% restore if I exchanged my Pre or just wanted to play with something being able to restore.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!