View Poll Results: How many minimum downloads should a $3 to $5 app have to be considered "successful"?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 ($129 to $115 loss)

    0 0%
  • 70 (approx break-even to $95 profit)

    2 15.38%
  • 150 ($165 to $375 profit)

    3 23.08%
  • 500 ($900 to $1600 profit)

    8 61.54%
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just saw a poll thread asking whether or not the $150 you need to get at least one app into the App Catalog is "too much". I considered throwing in my two cents, but I realized that I totally disagree with the basis of the poll and any discussion that might generate.

    As many have noted, an entry fee is just one of the many ways Palm can try to filter the quality of applications. Keep in mind that it's not just a question of what volume of apps a user sees, but also how many Palm can or wants to realistically review.

    Let's reduce the question to:

    How many minimum paying downloads should a $3-5 app have to be considered "successful"?

    Since price is a factor, I used the 3-5 dollar range, representing roughly a half to a whole value of a workday lunch. I think 0.99 is as good as free, and after $5 people start expecting a whole lot more...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  2. #2  
    I don't think you have a poll option for what I would consider a successful app. If I was going to make an app in that price range and only expected 500 downloads, I wouldn't bother making it. Wouldn't be worth my time.

    $900-$1600 profit over a couple hundred hours is a crappy wage.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  3. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #3  
    how about 10,000 downloads that would be nice
  4. #4  
    This is a highly subjective thing in my opinion. How many hours did it take to develop the app? How many programmers/staff were working on it? Marketing costs? Application scope? License costs if applicable?

    One developer may be happy with $1600, another might need to see a few hundred thousand.
  5. #5  
    but the app catalog is not reporting the correct number of downloads. as soon as some of these were released, they had 300K downloads.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  6. #6  
    Well right now, there is noone outside of maybe a few of the core company partners that has invested enough time in homebrews to warrant a "few hundred thousand dollars". Heck the phone has only been out for three - four months.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  7. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #7  
    OK, you all got me. My poll is BS anyway. It was just a backward way for me to say that $150 isn't high, because if your app can't sell 70 copies through an official app store that's present on every phone, then I'd be happy if you did't clog up the app market anyway.

    The new policies would make the App Catalog simply the equivalent of a shop window, or head of the aisle space, which always costs a premium. The difference between Palm and Apple is that with Palm, if you don't want to pay or you think it's too expensive, you have real alternatives, not illegal, planet-threatening ones If you have a niche product, why not set up your own shop; people with those needs will find you on the internets anyway...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    but the app catalog is not reporting the correct number of downloads. as soon as some of these were released, they had 300K downloads.
    Downloads aren't shown in App Catalog for 1.2. Were you looking at the download size? A 346K is the size of the file in Kb.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Downloads aren't shown in App Catalog for 1.2. Were you looking at the download size? A 346K is the size of the file in Kb.
    thats really good to know. thanks. but is the Popular section of app catalog accurate? now its showing golf app as top popular but it has only been there for a day...i thought pandora or original weather app was most popular. that is how i decide to DL an app so need accurate popular statistics.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  10. #10  
    None of your options cover it. Given the amount of time put in to develop the application, even 500 sales would be a loss (assuming $1.99 price). Really the sales would have to reach at least 4,000 to be considered any type if a success.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    thats really good to know. thanks. but is the Popular section of app catalog accurate? now its showing golf app as top popular but it has only been there for a day...i thought pandora or original weather app was most popular. that is how i decide to DL an app so need accurate popular statistics.
    Popular isn't download count, it is by rating. The Golf App and a few others have one or two 5 star ratings, making them the highest rated apps currently.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    OK, you all got me. My poll is BS anyway. It was just a backward way for me to say that $150 isn't high, because if your app can't sell 70 copies through an official app store that's present on every phone, then I'd be happy if you did't clog up the app market anyway.

    The new policies would make the App Catalog simply the equivalent of a shop window, or head of the aisle space, which always costs a premium. The difference between Palm and Apple is that with Palm, if you don't want to pay or you think it's too expensive, you have real alternatives, not illegal, planet-threatening ones If you have a niche product, why not set up your own shop; people with those needs will find you on the internets anyway...
    This is an incorrect argument. You may have developed an amazing and very useful application, and put in a lot of time and effort. It's still no guarantee it will sell well. Perhaps it's ahead of the curve, perhaps it was not marketed well or explained well, or named properly, Whatever the reason, just because an application doesn't sell doesn't mean it's crap. AND, just because you've got a lot of money to throw at an application doesn't mean it is not crap.
  13. Goyena's Avatar
    Posts
    893 Posts
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    This is an incorrect argument. You may have developed an amazing and very useful application, and put in a lot of time and effort. It's still no guarantee it will sell well. Perhaps it's ahead of the curve, perhaps it was not marketed well or explained well, or named properly, Whatever the reason, just because an application doesn't sell doesn't mean it's crap. AND, just because you've got a lot of money to throw at an application doesn't mean it is not crap.
    I stand corrected: an application that nobody wants blow 3 bucks isn't necessarily crap.

    Wait...I didn't say "crap", I said "[not] successful".

    But anyway, according to your logic, if you've created the next, best thing and need to be discovered, you DO need to throw more money (or effort) at it, either to develop the idea, or, as you say, develop the marketing by either/or/both:
    - swallowing the $150 fee and throwing more money at that bidding process that Palm proposes to get more eyeballs
    - using Palm's redirect to a website that you sunk a bit of time/effort/cash into which will better explain

    or just wait and hope you go viral.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)

Posting Permissions