View Poll Results: What do you think of the $150 to add app to catalog?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a good price

36 55.38%
  • WAY too expensive!

26 40.00%
  • Other (please explain)...

3 4.62%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm just released their setup for paid apps in the app catalog. And the prices are:

1. To join, there's a 1x/yr $99 fee
    2. Every app is $50 to list in the catalog
    3. You get 70% of the revenue from your application
    4. They take the sales tax out of the revenue

So developing one app would cost you $150. Two would be $200, etc.

By the way, you can let them know what you think at: pdn@palm.com
    Last edited by 6tr6tr; 10/06/2009 at 05:10 PM.
    do they take a % of the income like apple? Or are these fees instead of revenue sharing?
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjim View Post
    do they take a % of the income like apple? Or are these fees instead of revenue sharing?
    They take 30% of the revenue so on a $1.00 app sale you would get $0.70 in your PayPal account.
    As someone who developed for the old PalmOS, let me just say this is a damn sight better than distributing apps through PalmGear.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    How did Palmgear work?
    If it will keep out the cheap crap that is filling up the Apple Store, then I'm for it.

If you are selling an app and don't expect to make this much very quickly, then you shouldn't be selling the App. Plain and Simple. $50 to do testing to verify the App is good for release is less than it will cost Palm. I don't see a problem with the pricing.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    They should be taking admin expenses out of their 30%. Or at least set the figures so that they have some relationship to their actual costs of handling your application.
    I see no problem with this. You have to spend money to make money. Would not take many sales to cover the initial app store costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    They should be taking admin expenses out of their 30%. Or at least set the figures so that they have some relationship to their actual costs of handling your application.
    That supports bandwidth and app catalog support. Production support of a system is not a small cost. This is also a way to get a return for the money invested in the platform. I see no problem with it. As people have said, this is much more profitable for the developer than many Palm OS/Garnet OS distribution systems that were in place.

It told me.
  10. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Is it not significant though that WebOS is now the most expensive platform to develop paid applications for?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by daman_kapoor View Post
    They take 30% of the revenue so on a $1.00 app sale you would get $0.70 in your PayPal account.
    Not quite. It depends where the app was purchased because they also take sales tax out. So if it was purchased in a place with 6% sales tax, you'd actually get $0.64.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Not quite. It depends where the app was purchased because they also take sales tax out. So if it was purchased in a place with 6% sales tax, you'd actually get $0.64.
    No, sales tax is added to the purchase, not taked from the value. If you purchase a $0.99 app in a place with 6% tax, you pay $1.05 and the developer still gets the right cut.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Is it not significant though that WebOS is now the most expensive platform to develop paid applications for?
    $150 is a trivial expense for someone who's trying to make money doing this.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    No, sales tax is added to the purchase, not taked from the value. If you purchase a $0.99 app in a place with 6% tax, you pay $1.05 and the developer still gets the right cut.
    Not according to Palm's blog:

Developers will receive 70 percent of revenues generated through application sales (less applicable sales taxes).
    That's 70% less sales tax. Or 70% - sales tax.

Bring Us Your Apps, and Sell Them, Too – webOSdev – Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    There's the type of developer hobbyist that has all the time the time in the world and doesn't care if they get a return on their investment, similarly to vanity publishing. But if it costs actual money to submit they will likely stay out of the catalog.

Palm is still allowing them to distribute their app on their own.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    There's the type of developer hobbyist that has all the time the time in the world and doesn't care if they get a return on their investment, similarly to vanity publishing. But if it costs actual money to submit they will likely stay out of the catalog.

Palm is still allowing them to distribute their app on their own.
    No, since you can put an open source app on there for free (you don't even have to pay the $99 developer fee), this won't do anything to affect those hobbyists who aren't out for money. It only affects people who actually do this to make money.
    The price isn't that bad really. If you are selling your app for a mere $.99, then you need to have approximately 215 downloads to break even, which isn't a terribly tremendous amount. Every download and dollar after that is gravy. I think what is comes down to is if you are concerned about making money, then you need to make an app that people will want to buy. If you are not concerned about money, then you should either release your app as open source through Palm, release it as homebrew, or not worry about the $150 and be happy with whatever money your app brings in.

With any luck, the price for entry into the app catalog will weed out some of the lower quality/useless apps that plague the Apple app store and leave the Palm store full of useful, but reasonably priced, good apps.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    No, since you can put an open source app on there for free (you don't even have to pay the $99 developer fee), this won't do anything to affect those hobbyists who aren't out for money. It only affects people who actually do this to make money.
    Is that what it says? I've been puzzling over these two sections from the palm.com What You Need To Know new developer terms post :

"Distribute and promote your free or paid apps to webOS devices using a highly targeted channel, the on-device Palm App Catalog. These apps will be reviewed and approved by Palm. Recognizing the value of the on-device catalog as a distribution channel and as a friction point to control the flow of apps into it, were going to charge $50 for each app you submit to this channel."

"Open source apps. The web would never have happened without the open source movement. In this tradition, we will enable the distribution of open source webOS apps to the web without you having to pay the $99 program fee. If the source of your app is available to the public under one of the commonly accepted licenses (BSD, Apache, GPL, MIT, etc.), you can distribute your apps on the web for free."

I'm wondering what "you can distribute your apps on the web for free" means here. It could very well mean "not in our App Catalog without $50". Which would be a bit of a disappointment. I mean, parts of recent discussions with open software proponents have been specifically about how non-App-Catalog programs are second-class citizens on this platform. Prohibitively difficult for your non-techy people to get to them.

What do you think?
    I don't see the problem with open source.

They submit as an open source dev, get back a URL to the app and they can publish the URL. Clicking on the URL installs the app. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino- View Post
    I'm wondering what "you can distribute your apps on the web for free" means here. It could very well mean "not in our App Catalog without $50". Which would be a bit of a disappointment. I mean, parts of recent discussions with open software proponents have been specifically about how non-App-Catalog programs are second-class citizens on this platform. Prohibitively difficult for your non-techy people to get to them.

What do you think?
    My understanding is that if you want Palm to "market" your app for you via the app catalog - be it paid or open-source - you will have to pay the $50 (paid and free non-open-source apps also require a $99 annual dev fee). If you want to market your own app - via your website, facebook, or wherever else - Palm will still provide a download mechanism for you to market your app via a link that you provide on your own website. No need to worry about making sure everyone has dev mode turned on or has to use a third-party installer. The only difference is where the user initiates the install - from the app catalog or from your website.

Of course, the app catalog WILL receive the most exposure since it will be the default app source on EVERY phone - making it more than worth the $50 they are charging for the service. Personally I'm excited about this new structure. I have an app that I'm developing for thousands of existing users of our online CRM. Since this is an existing, closed market we can market directly to them without paying the $50. Other apps that are more mainstream will go in the catalog and be "marketed" by Palm for a measly $50! This will also keep a lot of junk apps out of the catalog - awesome.
    Last edited by reuben.olsen; 10/06/2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: My understanding went from 1.0 to 1.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast