View Poll Results: What do you think of the $150 to add app to catalog?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a good price

36 55.38%
  • WAY too expensive!

26 40.00%
  • Other (please explain)...

3 4.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Not according to Palm's blog:

Developers will receive 70 percent of revenues generated through application sales (less applicable sales taxes).
    That's 70% less sales tax. Or 70% - sales tax.

Bring Us Your Apps, and Sell Them, Too €“ webOSdev €“ Palm
    It is talking 70% of revenue less sales tax. Sales tax is charged above the app price.

So 70% of the ( revenue minus sales tax ).

Revenue is amount charged and is equal to app price + sales tax.

app price + sales tax - sales tax = app price.

70% of app price, what I stated.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    3. They take 70% of the revenue from your application
    I think you got this backwards. You get 70%, they keep 30%. Heck the other way around would be like the Mafia.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    Of course, the app catalog WILL receive the most exposure since it will be the default app source on EVERY phone - making it more than worth the $50 they are charging for the service.
    Hmmmm, maybe we could find a way to get PREWARE in the App Catalog?!?!?!? Marketed as the "Free App Store"
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dino- View Post
    Is that what it says? I've been puzzling over these two sections from the palm.com What You Need To Know new developer terms post :

"Distribute and promote your free or paid apps to webOS devices using a highly targeted channel, the on-device Palm App Catalog. These apps will be reviewed and approved by Palm. Recognizing the value of the on-device catalog as a distribution channel and as a friction point to control the flow of apps into it, we’re going to charge $50 for each app you submit to this channel."

"Open source apps. The web would never have happened without the open source movement. In this tradition, we will enable the distribution of open source webOS apps to the web without you having to pay the $99 program fee. If the source of your app is available to the public under one of the commonly accepted licenses (BSD, Apache, GPL, MIT, etc.), you can distribute your apps on the web for free."

I'm wondering what "you can distribute your apps on the web for free" means here. It could very well mean "not in our App Catalog without $50". Which would be a bit of a disappointment. I mean, parts of recent discussions with open software proponents have been specifically about how non-App-Catalog programs are second-class citizens on this platform. Prohibitively difficult for your non-techy people to get to them.

What do you think?
    It's definitely a bit confusing. I also wonder how well Palm is going to market the idea that people can install apps on the Pre/Pixi from anywhere not just the app store. Really, I think it would help sell more of the phone since, unlike Apple, you could get any cool app that's written for it (although until Palm starts implementing, File I/O, full canvas support, fixed audio-video and a few other features, those apps are limited).
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    How did Palmgear work?
    They had a TERRIBLE sliding scale system where Palmgear would take a cut of roughly 35-45% depending on the price of your app. Pretty sweet having half of your sales go to a third party reseller that was slow to post your updates, took kickbacks from competitors to have their apps at the top of the "bests" categories (instead of being based on popularity or rating), and got so far behind on paying developers that they ended up offering pennies on the dollar or an "indefinite" repayment schedule that could last months or even longer.

Oh and while they weren't paying devs, they went off and spent several million dollars in corporate acquisitions.

I suppose we can thank Apple for ridding us of that nonsense. Their incremental upgrades to the iPhone are ridiculous cash grabs from the gullible, but don't get me wrong, the first iPhone changed the game for good in many many ways.
    FWIW, the percentage cut of apps sold through the app catalog is, de facto, 33%, given that PayPal takes a 2.9% + some fixed amount of every transaction.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am not a programmer but I have happily used many of the homebrew functions. I have donated either $5 or $10 for multiple applications (QI, Preware, brightness unlinked, etc.) that i have found to be very useful.

From what I gather, there are lots of homebrewers that are just having fun and learning and don't expect to be making money from their product. Others are hoping to make a living through the app catalog.

For those in the know, how has this all been going? Do donations really generate any appreciable revenue? Are there signficant costs associated with program development aside from the (considerable) cost of crowding out time for your life? What is a successful purchase rate for, say, a $1.99 program?

I read the various articles about the iPhone app developers who have struck it rich. But what about the vast majority of developers who have a number of lower selling apps? Is it sustainable? Or is it because it's just a hobby, that covering some portion of costs is all that they expect?

On a related note, I have very little idea of what incentivizes people to develop sophisticated and very time consuming freeware programs.

Anyway, just wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddard1 View Post
    Or is it because it's just a hobby, that covering some portion of costs is all that they expect?
    I think quite a few of us take this as a hobby. Donations are nice, but they in no where make up the total cost of producing said products. I think in the end unless the application is taken 100% serious and developed past peoples expectations it isn't going to make a profit worthwhile as it is most likely going to be shadowed by a free alternative application.

(I of course fall into the Free hobby developer )
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddard1 View Post
    For those in the know, how has this all been going? Do donations really generate any appreciable revenue? Are there signficant costs associated with program development aside from the (considerable) cost of crowding out time for your life? What is a successful purchase rate for, say, a $1.99 program?
    I'd like to know this as well.

For now, I'm developing in my free time but if my app does well enough, I would be more than happy to try and make a living out of it. Has anyone here done that yet?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    FWIW, the percentage cut of apps sold through the app catalog is, de facto, 33%, given that PayPal takes a 2.9% + some fixed amount of every transaction.
    Any idea what the fixed amount is?
    Sorry, that's a lot.

It shouldn't cost you anything to actually put it on the market.

Instead, an increase in the percentage Palm gets from the sale seems more reasonable.

I mean seriously- you're developing for them.

Well excuse me as I go pay to go to work. ;]
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Palm just released their setup for paid apps in the app catalog. And the prices are:

1. To join, there's a 1x/yr $99 fee
    2. Every app is $50 to list in the catalog
    3. You get 70% of the revenue from your application
    4. They take the sales tax out of the revenue

So developing one app would cost you $150. Two would be $200, etc.

By the way, you can let them know what you think at: pdn@palm.com

Assuming the app is priced at $1 , do you think at least 215 (215 x .70)people will pay to download it? Anything after that is gravy.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Assuming the app is priced at $1 , do you think at least 215 (215 x .70)people will pay to download it? Anything after that is gravy.
    No, it's not. It depends how much time, effort and money was put into developing the app. If you put in 50 hours of work and made $150, you would not be back at even.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12