Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Excuse my newbie question but If I decide to learn to create apps using javascript can I leave it as a webpage and have people access it through a browser instead of having to port it over to webos as an app?.

Speaking as someone who knows zilch about programming it would make sense to me developing an app on a webpage so it does not limit your audience to one specific platform.

What am I missing?
    Who's the target audience? Someone who has a network connection, or someone who doesn't always have a network connection? Then apply that answer to whether its something that can be run locally and be self-sufficient, or should be ran on a website.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Version_3 View Post
    Who's the target audience? Someone who has a network connection, or someone who doesn't always have a network connection? Then apply that answer to whether its something that can be run locally and be self-sufficient, or should be ran on a website.
    I would imagine someone who has a network connection (smartphone user) as my target audience.

From my understanding, if I'm on a pc and I visit a website that has a javascript app, I can click that app and the javascript game will load.

Couldn't I create an javascript app to run from a webpage and when the app is launched from any smartphone it will run optimized according to the screen size of the smartphone?
    The difference is that web-based apps don't have access to the Mojo framework. Don't know if that would matter to you.
    web os apps can use apis for a smoother experience, web apps can't
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diov View Post
    web os apps can use apis for a smoother experience, web apps can't
    Yep, this is a good way to put it. They are all web apps, since they are based on HTML/CSS/Javascript, but webOS apps can tie into the OS- and device-specific features in the "Mojo" SDK. This give you access to device features, system services and libraries, etc.

The webOS SDK is like a richer, platform specific subset of web apps for a particular device family.

The online/offline distinction is less of a deal, but is another way to classify different types of web apps.