1.    #1  
    The question of "when is it coming" has been floating around since the Pre came out. And, I've been very patient, not calling it a deal-breaker for owning the Pre. BUT, my daughter has started walking, and I didn't have a handy video camera to record it.

There are over 200 really well put together apps on the Homebrew site. Has anyone considered giving up waiting on Palm, and writing their own? I know there is a way to create a pseudo-video, with no sound, that plays only on VLC, but that's not what I'm looking for. The reality is, that phone video camera's have been out since, about 2002 when the Treo 650 came out. So, from a layman's point of view, without any consideration for the realities of programming, I put it out there that, this can't be that hard to create.

I'm getting ready to budget for an iPod Nano video with camera, just so I can have a video recording device on me at all times. But, shouldn't have to spend $200 to get what the Pre should be doing already.

I think it's time to stop waiting for Palm. I know I would pay for it, if someone created reliable app.
    I agree, its taking far too long. If the rumor of it being an app is true, maybe it will come out whenever paid apps appear. And please everyone don't start yelling at me for being impatient.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    People are working on it....sound is still a problem I guess:

Some other guy has a vid of him driving on the highway and the resolution is impressive. Very little blur of the cars driving the other way (very fast). I think there's another thread on PC.net that is all about posting your "Pre videos"
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle3 View Post
    People are working on it....sound is still a problem I guess:

Some other guy has a vid of him driving on the highway and the resolution is impressive. Very little blur of the cars driving the other way (very fast). I think there's another thread on PC.net that is all about posting your "Pre videos"
    The vid with him driving is just a bunch of burst mode shots knit together.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...al-no-gui.html

you;ll have to actually do some reading, but the links to an actual app are in there.

And this is spelled out in some detail in the video pages on the wiki

Search: it's your friend... use it.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I soooo agree!!!...we NEED a video cam app...but I don't think that we should pay for it....I mean like the pre cost me $150......it should have come with it.....
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts

video that i made.....i think this is the video pelikan was referring to , if not, it describes my video. i wanted to see how the pre recorded while moving fast. and it came out pretty good
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    The question of "when is it coming" has been floating around since the Pre came out. And, I've been very patient, not calling it a deal-breaker for owning the Pre. BUT, my daughter has started walking, and I didn't have a handy video camera to record it.
    dude, if you really want to record your daughter learning to walk (and i imagine look at it years later), just go buy yourself a cheap video camera. the pre, whenever it gets video (and the nano) just ain't gonna give you much to look back on. you can get a sony hd (720p) webbie w/ 5x optical zoom and a decent sized memory card for about $200.

get that and remember to buy a product based on what it does, not what it's promised to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    dude, if you really want to record your daughter learning to walk (and i imagine look at it years later), just go buy yourself a cheap video camera. the pre, whenever it gets video (and the nano) just ain't gonna give you much to look back on. you can get a sony hd (720p) webbie w/ 5x optical zoom and a decent sized memory card for about $200.

get that and remember to buy a product based on what it does, not what it's promised to do.
    Seriously. I have my own daughter at around the same age, and feel guilty when I occasionally use my 10 mp camera to record video instead of an actual video camera. To the OP, don't blame the pre for you missing your family's precious moments.

It's even more ironic that you're budgeting to buy another device that had a cheap camera added as an afterthought.
  10.    #10  
    I actually have a Panasonic, 3 CCD mini dv camera that, at the time of purchase, was considered to be the best sub $800 camera on the market. And I do use it. But life's "Kodak Moments" happen at the mall, the supermarket, in restaurants, or simply in places where, if you can't get your phone out quickly enough, you will miss them, and cell phone quality is better than a missed opportunity. It's just not realistic to think that I can have a high quality video camera (or my full sized digital SLR camera) charged and hanging from my body at all times. But, a phone with video (which dates back to what? the Treo 650 for PDA phones?) or a Nano (which takes some very decent video, by the way) is much more realistic.

I have to admit, things I thought I could wait on, I am starting to get annoyed and embarrassed that the Pre doesn't have. That, and every new software update seems to offer little to nothing visible, but kills battery life that much faster.

I'm not ready to bail on Sprint, but, whatever the Pre doesn't do, Droid and the iPhone does. If they don't catch up before iPhone or Android get to Sprint, I'm not likely to stay committed to Palm.
    Video Recorder App is coming. I hate to say "wait", but you should just wait