Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #41  
    That'll be great if you could redo that file without the internal " " in column B
    It would be good if you could teach me to fish and share how you are converting the text file.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    sure. On my way to work now. I'll post between patients (or lunch at the latest)
  3.    #43  
    OK thanks. I manually "cleaned" up the first 400 as I was keen to see the performance. Added an application icon too (image taken from Andre Yee's site)
    Here is this interim build if anyone is interested in testing.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Palmdoc2005,

I used Microsoft word's mail merge function. (Same way I did my wedding invites).

First, I opened the csv file in Excel. I made sure each column had a unique header. Then, looking at your template, I saw that I needed to create a "key" column with unique ID numbers for each entry. Then, saved that file.

Then, I created a document in Word and pasted your template in. I erased the the example entries, leaving this:

{
    item: ,
    label: "",
    value: ""
    },

then, run the automated mail merge function for an address directory (other choices are envelopes or address labels). It asks you which document to use (I used the one I just created with your template). It asks you for a data source (I chose the csv file I edited).

Then, you click in your template where you wanted a certain column's data to go. So, put the icon just before the comma after "item" and choose the
    Key column. Then click between the double quote marks after label and choose the name column. Then, do the same for Value.

Then, you run the merge. Basically, Word treats it as address labels or an address directory. There's a mail merge wizard in Word

If I get a chance at lunch, I'll re-run the merge with the quotes removed. (But, at work, I only have Open Office, so I'll have to figure out to do a merge there. Probably not too hard)

Also, if I do it with the categories, what do I call that in your template?
    If "Item" is the name and "Label" is the description, How should I set up the template to include category? You can tell me or post another example and I'll copy it.

Finally, can you post the app you just did as an .ipk, instead of a .zip? I can't install WOSQI at work, but I can use Preware's new function to install from a URL if you post the file as an .ipk.

Great work!!
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Excellent, my webservice is almost completed. The database is cleaned up, double quotes removed. Right now I've got the ability to Display all by Category, Display by Eponym Name/ID, Display all.
    It is also outputted in JSON format.

But yes, we have to worry about performance by how many records exist. We may just have to sort A-Z in separate sections, being loaded on demand... I'll check out some other larger database applications and see how they do it.
  6.    #46  
    Managed to clean up the csv file thanks to psm9
    Added a basic About menu to acknowledge Dr. Andrew Yee
    Attaching the file (zipped) here for testing. I'm afraid ipk's cannot be attached here so I have uploaded to RS if you prefer the ipk
    RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    If there are no other issues, then I'll upload to PreCentral Homebrew later.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Love it! I was just figuring out how to mail merge in Open Office (it wasn't going well). Glad you were able to do it.
    The app is great I love being able to just type to search (very WebOs-y).

One minor tweak - when the app opens, when it's in card view, it shows the generic Luna icon, instead of the new one you added.

Fantastic work. I'm glad this thread got revived.

I've been meaning to play with Ares to see if I can learn how to make a growth chart app, but my coding skills are non-existent.
  8.    #48  
    I think the app icon thing will be fixed with a luna restart. Ares coding is not difficult really, and I am writing "tutorials" as I am learning, more to document my progress.
    FWIW I have uploaded it to PreCentral Homebrew so hopefully it should show up in Preware once it has been approved.
    Can't wait for acidhax's web service version - sounds interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    If there are no other issues, then I'll upload to PreCentral Homebrew later.
    How long does it take from when you upload it to Hombrew to when it's available on the feeds for people to install through Preware?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  10.    #50  
    As long as it takes for Dieter or whoever to hit the Approve button and then for it to appear in the Preware feeds. I think I shall tweet @precentral to nudge them along.
    Thanks so much, I'll keep watching the Peware feeds.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

wow works great guys i uploaded it from WOsQI and the search works for me.The splash screen shows symbol you uploaded as the app icon when it loads.The hang time for the splash screen isn't bad at all if this file uploaded is the full program.Thanks once again.checked again and these are all the eponyms from A to Z
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    http://eponyms.matbee.com/palmdoc_eponyms.ipk -- that's a direct link to his ipk without WOSQI if you want to use Preware to install it.
    Hey PalmDoc,

Just installed Eponyms via Preware from the link given above, and it works great.

Have one suggestion for a possible addition: add a link to the website:

www.whonamedit.com

This site provides additional information, in many cases, about the person in the eponym. The site is not extremely mobile-friently, but is nonetheless quite viewable on the Pre.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I think the app icon thing will be fixed with a luna restart.
    Correct. Fixed with a Luna restart
    Hey this is great news!

If you guys want, I can take what you have so far, and incorporate jjeffcoat's suggestion (whonamedit.com) into the app as well so you can have extra info. We can put in a settings page which asks if the user wants to automatically pull the info from whonamedit.com into their search results or not (in case they don't have online access).

Sorry I couldn't be more help with this app.

Congrats on getting it up and out!
    Great work! get it on the app catalog so i and others can "pay" for it!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Yeah, It'll be a little while longer until my version arrives. I've got it planned a bit more complex than this. This definitely works though...
    Did you plan on incorporating whonamedit.com into it?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Did you plan on incorporating whonamedit.com into it?
    I think we can easily pass a search on to whonamedit.com and display the result in a webview
    but can someone tell me how to pass the search parameter on to the site?

For example if one enters "Alport" into the seach form at the top, you get 4 results.

But this URL comes out with nothing:

Code:
    http://www.whonamedit.com/search.cfm?search=Alport
    @SirataXero - I think if someone can figure out how to search the site, perhaps we can have an additional view for whonamedit.com searches

@bulls96 - will submit to the App Catalog once the app is a little more mature.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast