Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    In all honesty, I'm not exactly sure how to do that... I also don't know if it's possible to read a file (which, I believe would have to be in the usb partition) and then parse the info everytime? Or load it up once.... Etc.... BUT ebook readers tend to do something similar so it may be doable?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm just going to host a webservice. I've cleaned out the junk from the database, now I just have to merge it to my online database. Easy stuff. Then you just use some ajax requests. Ta-da!

I've already converted the database to JSON format, but, it's rather 'large'. I'll look at the pro's/con's of using this file remotely rather than locally.
    Last edited by acidhax; 07/16/2010 at 08:27 AM.
    Thanks man! cant wait to try it out!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    Yeah, I'm just going to host a webservice. I've cleaned out the junk from the database, now I just have to merge it to my online database. Easy stuff. Then you just use some ajax requests. Ta-da!

I've already converted the database to JSON format, but, it's rather 'large'. I'll look at the pro's/con's of using this file remotely rather than locally.
    Locally would be great for those of us who do not have Internet connection all the time e.g. poor 3g signal/no Wifi.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    The way I see it for those "offline" people, the database should be populated on first-load in the background. I'd design it so it's not doing AJAX requests for -every- record every time, but, as soon as a record is retrieved it would insert to the db locally (if not already there).
    Definitely something to think about, but for developments sake, the records will be located online first and then inserted at the time of downloading.

It could be designed to periodically check online to see if any database changes have been made and update accordingly afterwards.. These are just slight logic differences...
  6.    #26  
    Sorry for the inconvenience but there is an updated database from Andrew Yee which I have attached.
    Please note that whatever we do with this database, it belongs to the
    Andrew Yee's Medical Eponym Page
    project and we should acknowledge Dr. Yee's work and it should remain freeware.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hey Acid,

That's a perfect idea! If I had any knowledge of online databases and setting up a server to accept AJAX requests, that is definitely how I would do it.

We're all aware that the first time you use the Epocrates app, you have to wait a few minutes for it to load everything up. This may be unpacking the database locally, or downloading it, I'm not quite sure, I've never tested it. Regardless, it's definitely something that's been done so it won't be too appalling to general users.

Great idea!

I can definitely work on UI/front end (local) stuff with/for you if you'd like.

Let me know!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    so glad to this thread revived (or is it resuscitated? - forgive me, I just recertified in PALS this week).

Can't wait to see this app.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Acid,

That's a perfect idea! If I had any knowledge of online databases and setting up a server to accept AJAX requests, that is definitely how I would do it.

We're all aware that the first time you use the Epocrates app, you have to wait a few minutes for it to load everything up. This may be unpacking the database locally, or downloading it, I'm not quite sure, I've never tested it. Regardless, it's definitely something that's been done so it won't be too appalling to general users.

Great idea!

I can definitely work on UI/front end (local) stuff with/for you if you'd like.

Let me know!
    You could easily create simple layouts(Scenes) in Ares, it'd be nice to see someone's vision for the layout. If anyone would like to do that, it could be fun.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Sorry guys, I've been busy all weekend. I'm just cleaning up the database, making it more efficient and cleaning up the categorization process... I'll have the service up as soon as the database is completed and the application will be on its way..
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Great news. Can't wait to see it
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    thank you guys for ur good work!
    As a nurse and current medical student, I'm anxiously awaiting some progress with Medical Eponyms!
    great great great!
  15.    #35  
    OK, did someone ask for a basic design in Ares?
    Well I am continuing my Ares education and so far have learnt a little about the ListView widget and how to FilterListview.
    I guess to populate the list with 1500+ items may be too much - don't know how it will affect the load time but anyway here is a sample Eponyms application done very quickly in Ares and I only populated it with about 20 items.

If someone can re-format the csv I posted earlier in this format

Code:
    [
      {
        item: 0,
        label: "Abernethy malformation",
        value: "Congenital anomaly of   the splanchnic vasculature, arises from defects in vitelline vein formation;   in type 1, portal vein completely diverted into IVC and complete absence of   formation of intrahepatic portal vein; in type 2, portal venous system is   formed, but there is an abnormal communication with systemic veins, usually   IVC; associated with hepatic encephalopathy and hepatopulmonary syndrome;   more common in dogs, particularly Yorkshire terriers."
      },
      {
        item: 1,
        label: "Achenbach's syndrome",
        value: "Rare entity of   spontaneous or mechanically-induced hematomas on the volar aspect of fingers   associated with burning pain and swelling of the digits."
      },
    then I could put everything in the list
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    The app is great.
    What type of file would the reformatted csv file be?
    Could one do a mail merge using the template you show above and the csv file and automatically populate the new file? Would it work as a .txt file?
    (Sorry, I don't program. Hope I don't sound too clueless)
  17.    #37  
    The csv file posted here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2558273
    is a text file (comma separated )
    I believe it can be easily (if one knows how but I don't) reformatted to :

Code:
     {
        item: 0,
        label: "Column A",
        value: "Column B"
      },
    {
        item: 1,
        label: "Column A",
        value: "Column B"
      },

etc.
    where column A and B correspond to the data if you open the csv in Excel.
    I am not sure if we might as well include the Category data (in Column C) as well as in the future we can display lists filtered by Category (not sure how to do that yet)
    Well, if someone can help with formatting the text file like that above, then I can just c&p the whole thing into the application.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Is this what you need?

I had to do it quick, but if you need, I can always do another with the Category data. Might not be able to do that for a bit, though
  19.    #39  
    Thanks, that's what I need for now. Categories can be done later. There still needs to be some cleaning up to do as the JSON complains if there is a double quote within the double quote for the data in value (column B)
    eg in items 10, 44, 115
    I shall have to slowly go through it and correct the list manually, and will do so in batches of 100. I can also test the performance this way. May post interim builds along the way.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Sorry. Missed those.
    I could easily delete all the " marks from the CSV file and re-merge them,. but I'm not sure if I can get to it today.
    If you want me to do that, let me know. In the meanwhile, I'll do another with the categories and will delete the " marks
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast