Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After the update to Preware that allows the installation of patches, I noticed that Preware would hang while it was updating feeds and after a few minutes cause an "out of memory" error to come up. After asking around, someone mentioned that there was something I needed to update using WebOSQuickINstall. So I jumped through all of the hoops to install it in Windows 7 RC and now when I try to install some things with it (GNU patch update, reinstall package service and preware), WOQI seems to hang on the computer when trying to install the selected items. My Pre also gets the same "out of memory, close cards" error.

On a side note to this, after the WebOS 1.2.1 update this morning, Preware itself doesn't seem to cause a memory leak like it did yesterday. Well, at least it doesn't with devmode on. Just tried it without devmode and it seems to have frozen up again.

If anyone has an idea on how to fix this I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    More information and a quick bump:
    It looks like even with devmode on Preware still causes the "out of memory" issue. QI seems to have no problem communicating with my Pre, as I was able to use it to remove the theme that the morning update messed up.

When I try to use QI to install anything, be it a patch or application, my Pre gets the "out of memory" error and the QI locks up. In order to close it, I have to go through the task manager.

I hope this extra info helps with understanding problem.
    hello again you might need to wait for web os QI 2.7 or whatever that new one is, to download the ipk file . This same thing happened to me and I was told to just reboot computer and phone and reinstall novacom driver this may work for you. Also try to get ahold of webos QI 2.03 if possible peoe are saying that it still works with the new update in the forums. If this does not work pm me and I will help any way I can .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the comments and help in this thread and the last. I'm in the process of trying to reinstall everything that Preware needs to run. QI let me uninstall the package manager, preware itself, and GNU patch. I was able to reinstall the package manager, but when I tried to install Preware, it had the same old problem. I didn't restart after package manager though, so that may have caused the problem.
    let me know if that works for ya!?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    gotta have package manager to install preware i believe
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  7.    #7  
    Update:
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling novacom, which was a mighty pain in the a**. It did not seem to have any effect on my problems. Package manager is installed, and when I tried to install preware QI hung on the "installing" window and my Pre once again produced the memory error.

I'm just about out of ideas, if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
  8.    #8  
    bump
    Let me get this straight...

When trying to install preware with wqi, wqi freezes, then the "out of memory, close some cards" message appears on the pre?

Doesn't sound like a problem with preware to me.
    preware is not causing an out of memory error.

In order to discuss what is going on will require a detailed description of every app you have installed on the pre, as well as any patches you have installed, AND any themes you have installed.

if you want to do that, consider posting that list into the discussion page of the preware page on the wiki, and message oil in #webos-internals on chat.freenode.net via IRC

but it's some odd combination, and not DIRECTLY preware's fault.

Also, by the way, VERSIONS are important. What version of the package manager do you have, and what version of preware?
  11.    #11  
    Well, I know preware isn't directly causing the problem, each app I try to install through QI will cause the memory error. QI did however let me install the most recent version of the package manager. The version of preware is 0.9.1. Also, when I did have preware installed, it was causing a memory error during its update cycle.

The only patch I have/had installed was the virtual keyboard. IT was installed during the 1.2.1 update, and I was able to remove it using QI.
    no offense, but if each app that you try to install via quick install is causing a memory error, then you have _something else wrong_ ...

try uninstalling ALL your apps, and then re-install one by one until you find the broken one.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    no offense, but if each app that you try to install via quick install is causing a memory error, then you have _something else wrong_ ...

try uninstalling ALL your apps, and then re-install one by one until you find the broken one.
    I might just have "the doctor" do a house call and start with a fresh image. I don't think I have really messed with things enough to cause these problems, which kinda started randomly on Oct. 2. Thanks for the advice though, no offence taken
    I'm having the exact same issue. I don't see any reports of it in the preware thread is this a know issue with a work around? Please do share the info if it is. The only thing that has changed on my pre since it didn't work is cleaning my pre of patches added and removed using quilt and updating to 1.2.0 and then 1.2.1. It worked just fine before the new feed for patches came out. In fact I checked for new homebew stuff just after 1.2.0 was installed and all was fine then today before and after installing 1.2.1 the spinner spins endlessly at updating until the pre locks up due to a memory leak just as it locks up the symbol for too many cards appears in the dashboard. The only way to recover is to use the power button mute switch tobble method to reboot. Before today it would rocket load each thing it listed in a matter of seconds and show me the 1st scene to choose what I wanted to do. The spin on update until locking the pre up happens immediately after a fresh install and reboot so no other app could be triggering the leak.

Perhaps we are the early birds to catch an issue that will get more reports in the next 24hrs? I uninstalled preware and then the package manager thinking a fresh install of it would work. But trying to install again starting with the package manager install hangs and once again the pre locks up in short order and the too many cards thing is seen in the dashboard just before the pre locks up. To test the install process itself I installed something else and it appears to hang as well. Perhaps this is an indicator where the problem is at?

Installed apps:

AccuWeather
    BatteryMonitor
    Evernote (I don't use it dunno why I haven't uninstalled)
    fileCoaster (never use it either just a standby app in case needed)
    Flixter
    FriendFlow
    Mileage Monitor
    MyQ
    Nodoze
    Pandora
    Simple Bible
    Spades
    Speed Brain
    SplashID
    STC (aka share the cost)
    Sudoku
    Tweed
    Unit Wizard
    Yellow Pages mobile
    and all of the stock/preloaded apps

I'm not oppsed to removing any or all apps to test and see what happens in their absence except SplashID and Mileage Monitor I can't lose the data in those and there is too much to copy down and reenter. I'd prefer a better approach to it than having to remove everything. So lets say that be a last resort.
    Forum posted my reply twice so Not to waste the space I'll add that fileCoaster loads and I'm downloading devMode launcher at least until things are sorted out with preware and I can install all of my patches from it instead of from putty. A few of them I was able to do in QI but since 1.2.0 I used quilt to apply them.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 10/04/2009 at 01:13 AM.
    remember to pop all of them with quilt before you start using patches in preware or quick install once you have this all sorted out.
  17.    #17  
    Ok, so I got the new version of QI compatible with 1.2.1 and used it to removed every app I had installed. I then used it to install the package manager. Next I rebooted my Pre and tried to install preware. My pre gave the memory error and QI had to be closed using the task manager. Any ideas?

Ok, installing a clean image using the latest version of WebOSDoctor. Hopefully this will fix my problem. If not, then there is either an issue with my novacom installation or with QI, stay tuned...
    Last edited by Armchair Commando; 10/04/2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    Ok, so I got the new version of QI compatible with 1.2.1 and used it to removed every app I had installed. I then used it to install the package manager. Next I rebooted my Pre and tried to install preware. My pre gave the memory error and QI had to be closed using the task manager. Any ideas?
    I also just downloaded the new QI and it hangs installing the package manager and the pre eventually ends up locking up having to be rebooted. Is there nobody that knows how to help us? Obviously if it is still happening after he removed all of his apps then it has nothing to do with another app.

EDIT: After further attepts at getting it to work and multiple reboots of the pre the package manager installed. Now to attempt the install for preware.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 10/04/2009 at 12:39 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I also just downloaded the new QI and it hangs installing the package manager and the pre eventually ends up locking up having to be rebooted. Is there nobody that knows how to help us? Obviously if it is still happening after he removed all of his apps then it has nothing to do with another app.

EDIT: After further attepts at getting it to work and multiple reboots of the pre the package manager installed. Now to attempt the install for preware.
    That's strange, I had no problem with installing package manager. I also had no problems with installing/removing themes and removing applications. I just finished with the doctor(contacts didn't restore...grrrrrr ) and am in the process of updating WebOS. Once I am done with this I will try QI again.

The only low level things I ever installed was the virtual keyboard, themes, and the services preware needs. It guess it is possible that some interaction with all of these things could have caused my problems. Also, while I have never had any problems with doing things on my vista x64 desktop, I have been having troubles this weekend with things on my windows 7 x64 laptop. This might suggest an issue with shoddy windows 7 support for the Pre.

Will be updating with any progress I make...
  20.    #20  
    ::UPDATE::

After using the doctor and losing all my info (I know I have backed it up in the past, it didn't restore for some reason...), I tried to use QI to install preware and it's prequisites. This time, it worked perfectly. Preware even launched without causing any memory errors. The only thing I can think of is that some important file got mangled during the OS updates and restoring the image was a way of fixing it.

StoneRyno, if you are still having your problems, try running the WebOSRepair tool once it is compatible with 1.2.1, it might solve your problem. It's something I should have tried first I suppose, lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast