Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    ::UPDATE::

After using the doctor and losing all my info (I know I have backed it up in the past, it didn't restore for some reason...), I tried to use QI to install preware and it's prequisites. This time, it worked perfectly. Preware even launched without causing any memory errors. The only thing I can think of is that some important file got mangled during the OS updates and restoring the image was a way of fixing it.

StoneRyno, if you are still having your problems, try running the WebOSRepair tool once it is compatible with 1.2.1, it might solve your problem. It's something I should have tried first I suppose, lol.
    I hope something is figured out or repair fixes it. I mean I had the problem immediately after updating to 1.2.1 so in essence a clean install. We need to figure out what the hangup was though because people like me using the doctor is not an option. I have far too much stuff on my pre that simply doesn't get backed up and appears to be no user way of doing so even with root access. I've been following all the attempts people have made to be able to get the pre back as if you never had run the doctor minus the reasons for running it and they all fail to get your data back without causing more problems than you had before running the doctor. I'm very careful not to do anything on my pre that will put me in a situation where I have no choice but to run the doctor for this very reason. I can't believe with the importance to palms users prior to webOS that they be able to back up everything that this was not included at launch. There is so much data on our devices that is not backed up even less gets backed up than hotsync did on the old OS. But anyways enough on that tangent.
  2.    #22  
    If it is reasonable to wait for the repair tool to be updated to work with 1.2.1, then I would run it and see if it helps. I suspect that our problem was caused by corrupted system files that are used by the installation routines in QI and preware.

And yes, having a way to make a 1 to 1 backup would be great.
    If it is reasonable to wait for the repair tool to be updated to work with 1.2.1, then I would run it and see if it helps. I suspect that our problem was caused by corrupted system files that are used by the installation routines in QI and preware.

And yes, having a way to make a 1 to 1 backup would be great.
    Yep I'm in no hurry. I just wanted to test out the patch feature. I'm going to try QI and see if the patch feature in it will patch for me in the mean time. What seems wierd to me is I can install the package manager over and over without issue. I haven't tried installing anything else. From any other of the installers. Will report if any of them have issues installing.
    I'm seeing similar behavior. Using Preware v0.9.2 on WebOS 1.2.1. I was using it last night and this morning without issue. I tried installing a theme this afternoon using QI 2.72 and it did not install correctly and hosed my Pre, so I used the EPR to remove all my tweaks/patches. Everything was removed successfully and my Pre was back to normal (i.e. no tweak look, feel and behavior).

I then used Preware to install all my tweaks again and then reset my phone. I then tried to launch Preware to install a theme and now I get the hanging "updating" circle indefinitely. I've let it run for over 20 minutes without any issue. I do not get an out of memory error, it just continuously says "updating" and never finishes. If I close Preware and relaunch it it gets stuck on the 'Checking Version' aspect of the load.

The tweaks/patches I have installed:

Add/delete launcher pages
    4X4 icons on launcher page
    Call duration in call log
    Email working in landscape
    LED notifications option in prefs
    Disable charging alert sound
    Message working in landscape
    Message forwarding
    Message character counter
    Hide Nascar application
    Battery % in top header
    Virtual keyboard
    SMS tone per contact
    Call Duration in call log
    Call history during call
    Char count in Messaging App
    Match state to area code
    Charging alert disabled
    Replies/forwards black font

I've reinstalled the package manager and preware using QI 2.72 multiple times and from what I can tell it completes successfully. I, like StoneRyno, have too much information on my phone to use the Doctor to reset my device.

I was able to get it working again following the below steps:

1) Run EPR using QI 2.72
    2) Uninstall Package Services Manager and Preware using QI 2.72
    3) Restart phone
    4) Restart computer (my device was not being recognized by QI)
    5) Launch QI, click on Tweaks (I got a popup message stating the Package Services Manager, GNU, etc. was required to do tweaking. It asked if I wanted to install these and I clicked Yes.
    6) Follow instructions for loading Preware using QI
    7) Restarted phone (don't think this is required but I did it for good measure)
    8) Launched Preware successfully and started applying patches

Not sure if one of the tweaks/patches I installed caused the problem but I was able to essentially get around the issue without using the Doctor. Hopefully the steps above work for others. It's still a pain but much less painful than using the Doctor.
  5.    #25  
    I get the continually updating problem with preware occasionally too. I have always figured it was caused by having an unstable internet connection, and with a little persistence, it eventually starts normally. Thank you for posting the method that fixed it for you though, hopefully someone will find it helpful.
    I finally figured out the issue in my case and it may help if this happens to anyone else. Preware stores a file that is text data related to the feeds. This file normally is small like a dozen KB give or take. Well somehow (I'm assuming the stuck on updating) overloaded (can't think of a better term) that file and it turned into a 140MB file. This filled all of the free space that was left in var. So the app failed to work correctly due to the file being overloaded. Uninstalling package manager and preware probably wasn't needed. In fact the reason it couldn't install it back again is because var was full as a result of the overloaded file.

How I discovered this file is when I went to update an app on my pre to get the out of space error when I only have about 10 apps not counting the stock apps and I know for a fact had 60% free in var. That is when I accessed linux on the pre to find out what was taking up all the space and found the overloaded file. Upon deletion of that file and all the other files in that directory since I'm pretty sure they were related to preware as well, I was able to install package manager and preware flawlessly just as before when I 1st installed it. Preware also runs flawlessly as well. So the bottom line and ultimate question is why did preware bloat that file to 140MB in size from the dozen KB giver or take size it should have been?

EDIT: the path the file was in --> /var/usr/lib/ipkg/lists
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 10/05/2009 at 09:01 PM.
    I want to install preware but I'm told I need package manager first. Where can I find package manager?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgojcaj1 View Post
    I want to install preware but I'm told I need package manager first. Where can I find package manager?
    It is in the same feed as preware -> webos-internals (all).
  9.    #29  
    Nice find StoneRyno! If you haven't done so already, make sure you notify the creators of Preware so they can look into this.
    Nice find StoneRyno! If you haven't done so already, make sure you notify the creators of Preware so they can look into this.
    We were discussing it when I was trying to track down what was using up all my /var space. I don't think it has happened with anyone else so no way to know why it happened. It may very well be a fluke, Without a way to reproduce it or someone else discovering they have a file end up just like I did I don't think we will ever know what happened or a beginning to fix.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12