Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    So currently, the info on every patch in the autopatch feed is limited at best.

    A lot of the patches have corresponding information on the Wiki or in the forums here, but there's no way to figure out what corresponds to what.

    The way I understand things is that anything in the patch before the file to change gets specified seems to be a comment.

    So maybe it would make sense if each of those comments linked to a certain discussion thread or page on the Wiki for people to talk about what's working and not working about them, and then that link could be displayed within Preware itself in the "homepage" section maybe? The link in the app now just brings you to the main source changes page. But some of the autopatch stuff is only in the git hub now, some of it there's multiple similar patches that a few different things on the Wiki could be about, etc.

    The way it is now is that things are trial and error. For a lot of these things you have to guess what they do and try them out, and then remove them if you don't like them. But for something that is changing system files, that seems like a bad model to me. People should have all the information before they change anything.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So currently, the info on every patch in the autopatch feed is limited at best.

    A lot of the patches have corresponding information on the Wiki or in the forums here, but there's no way to figure out what corresponds to what.

    The way I understand things is that anything in the patch before the file to change gets specified seems to be a comment.

    So maybe it would make sense if each of those comments linked to a certain discussion thread or page on the Wiki for people to talk about what's working and not working about them, and then that link could be displayed within Preware itself in the "homepage" section maybe? The link in the app now just brings you to the main source changes page. But some of the autopatch stuff is only in the git hub now, some of it there's multiple similar patches that a few different things on the Wiki could be about, etc.

    The way it is now is that things are trial and error. For a lot of these things you have to guess what they do and try them out, and then remove them if you don't like them. But for something that is changing system files, that seems like a bad model to me. People should have all the information before they change anything.
    The autopatch feed was leaked, it's in alpha :P

    We are working on getting nice descriptions for each package and will work on coordinating the package title names with the Wiki title names.

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
  3. #3  
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...h-contact.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...t=hidden+clock
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...landscape.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ool-patch.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-per-page.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...fications.html
    Patch Clock Enabling the Hidden Theme - WebOS Internals
    Portal:Patches to webOS - WebOS Internals
    Patch webOS Roam Control - WebOS Internals
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ring-call.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...d-browser.html (been edited for 1.2 by Jason Robitaille)
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ger-patch.html
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._On-Off_Button
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...e_Hidden_Theme
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...nfirm_Deletion
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Navy_to_Black
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...r_Delete_Pages
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...The_NASCAR_App
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...on_Page_Change
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...eloperMode_App
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...racter_Counter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...tatus_Messages
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...Create_Newline
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...h_Conversation
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...eived_Messages
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...n_the_Call_Log
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...s_of_New_Tasks
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Notifications
    http:/www.webos-internals.org/wiki/P...o_Power_Switch
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...g_Event_Sounds
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ery_Percentage
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...Take_a_Picture
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...Without_Dialog
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...s_of_New_Tasks
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Messaging_App


    in my history, just here for notation, ignore as you wish.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 10/03/2009 at 02:44 AM.
  4.    #4  
    I know there's threads for a lot of them, but not everyone will go out and look for it. A clear link within Preware would be the best solution.
  5. #5  
    I just wrote good descriptions for every patch in the autopatch feed. I will have screenshots soon enough.
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

    Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

    Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
  6. #6  
    and I know you both know...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dBsooner View Post
    I just wrote good descriptions for every patch in the autopatch feed. I will have screenshots soon enough.
    I have to say that this is a better solution than having threads here for each, and I for one appreciate the effort.

    The whole point of a patch is that it does something 'limited.'

    For example, the one patch I submitted to the feed, is only 45 bytes, and does nothing but hide the built-in music app. What would be the point of dedicating a whole thread to that?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I have to say that this is a better solution than having threads here for each, and I for one appreciate the effort.

    The whole point of a patch is that it does something 'limited.'

    For example, the one patch I submitted to the feed, is only 45 bytes, and does nothing but hide the built-in music app. What would be the point of dedicating a whole thread to that?
    That's true, some don't need them, but there's a bunch that do. For example, the display full IM status shows things incorrectly for me and always has. At one point the reset launcher pages (to the top of the list on each page) didn't work for anyone. The Wiki setup just isn't very convenient for discussing that sort of thing.

Posting Permissions