Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I would love to be able to use the LED flash for the camera as a flashlight. I know nothing about creating apps or I'd do it, but a toggle switch like app to simply turn it on and off would be great! Anyone else think so????
    It's been done.

Interestingly enough, the dev who did it decided to call his program "Flashlight!"

I suspect you can find it.

Perhaps install it with Preware or WebOSQuickinstall
  3.    #3  
    Unless its been updated, the last time I tried that app it just turned my screen white. I'll have to try it again, thanks for the sarcasm

is not showing up on filecoaster, which is the only place I go for homebrew. I guess I'll have to use WebOSQuickInstall, which is bogus
    Last edited by KingDude420; 10/02/2009 at 03:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    That was a different one. There has been one for a while now that utilizes the flash, like you were requesting. Like said above, try installing it via WebOSQuickinstall
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quick question what is bogus about quickinstall...or is that just opinion...?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 27scoob View Post
    Quick question what is bogus about quickinstall...or is that just opinion...?
    Its fine, just my opinion. I just wish I could get all apps without having to use my PC.
  7.    #7  
    I didn't see an app called "Flashlight", what the heck is my problem! I just looked though all 5 pages of homebrew apps and nothing but "Whitelight" and "BADD Flashlight". What the heck. Can you please help this ***** out. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDude420 View Post
    Unless its been updated, the last time I tried that app it just turned my screen white. I'll have to try it again, thanks for the sarcasm

is not showing up on filecoaster, which is the only place I go for homebrew. I guess I'll have to use WebOSQuickInstall, which is bogus

1. If all you're using is filecoaster, you're missing out. Filecoaster has 1 package feed. Preware has about 6.

2. "Flashlight!" and "BADD Flashlight" are NOT the same program. Use the search feature for crying out loud.

3. Use quickinstall to install Flashlight! and Flashlight! Service, and you'll be very happy, and while you're at it, install Preware and the Package Manager Service so you can move past filecoaster, which is basically defunct except for the fact that it can install packages from a URL.
    I didn't see an app called "Flashlight", what the heck is my problem! I just looked though all 5 pages of homebrew apps and nothing but "Whitelight" and "BADD Flashlight". What the heck. Can you please help this ***** out. =(

It's in the canuck feed. If you don't have the canuck feed, you'll have to update your feeds.

There are step by step instructions on how to do that, if you would just use the search feature, and read the post about the Flashlight! app and Flashlight! Service.
    Also, I'm 90% sure that you can install it from preware anyway, so just install Preware and the Package Manager Service and install it from preware
  11.    #11  
    Thanks VeeDubb65, I had no idea. do I use WebOSQuickInstall to get Preware and Package Manager Service? Do I need root? Cause I don't really know what the heck that is or how to did it or if its at all bad.

Sorry im a basic user

PS I did use the search feature, it didn't show.
    Last edited by KingDude420; 10/02/2009 at 03:52 PM.
    I consider myself a fairly basic user as well. I do strongly suggest Webosquickinstall and yes, I believe you can get preware and package manager from there.

I think you want to DL WebOS 2.03, as I'm not sure anything past that works with the new v1.2 the pre's now have. I may have missed something in the last few days though....

Once you DL WebOS, and possibly WebOS doctor - I forget, you will connect your phone to your PC and place the phone in Just Charge mode. Then on the right hand side of the screen below the "+" and "-" hit the icon with the green arrow. That will bring up a popup. From there you can DL a lot of apps, but importantly you can choose the WebOS-Internals Feed (all) and Dl Package Manager Service, hit Download, then close. Then install that and go back to the same place and pick Preware.

I don't know if you need to reboot your phone or not, but you'll know if it doesn't bring up preware. Once Preware is on the phone, at this point, I don't see much current need for Webos. Preware is getting better and better by the day.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for your input. =) I will have to review your post once I'm at home with the software running, because I don't really remember how WebOSQuickInstall works. I used it once to get fileCoaster and thats it.
    Once you get Preware then go to Available Apps, I believe and look for Flashlight Service and Flashlight, I believe they are by pregame.

Install the Flashlight Service first then flashlight.

With Preware you can DL tweaks/patches, like Virtual Keyboard, and many, many other things. One more cool feature in Preware is luna manager. If my understanding is correct, you can run that and let it rescan your luna, so you don't have to always reboot after some installs.

I started with filecoaster and thought it was great. I don't have it anymore.

Like I said, I consider myself a beginner/basic user so if someone sees a problem with what I've typed please correct.

Hope this helps...
  15.    #15  
    Does any of this require you to root your Pre? I don't even know what that is but it sounds beyond me.

I think it will help BIG TIME, thanks!, your'e the only person who has actually told me what AND how to do it. Everyone on this site assumes I know what the heck I'm doing.
    Thanks for your input. =) I will have to review your post once I'm at home with the software running, because I don't really remember how WebOSQuickInstall works. I used it once to get fileCoaster and thats it.
    Not a problem. I have most of these files saved to my PC so if you have trouble finding something let me know and I'll try to send it via email if you'd like.

I am grateful for many, many of the people on these boards, as they are the ones creating these great apps, but I know I get lost in the shuffle of what's going on because most of the jargon is above my level. I think it's easy for some of them to forget some of us don't understand it all. Oh, well...
    Does any of this require you to root your Pre? I don't even know what that is but it sounds beyond me.
    Nope.
  18.    #18  
    ditto

good, I'd probably turn my phone into a paper weight, lol
    ditto

good, I'd probably turn my phone into a paper weight, lol
    Well if you do, there is an App for that!! In that case search for WebOSRepairUtility! Saved my phone yesterday!!
  20.    #20  
    [QUOTE=Master Brian;1942216]Not a problem. I have most of these files saved to my PC so if you have trouble finding something let me know and I'll try to send it via email if you'd like. QUOTE]

Thanks a ton! Hopefully I wont have to bug you..... but ya never know
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast