1.    #1  
    I've looked through the forums and to the best of my search-ability i don't think anyone has requested such an application yet. so here it goes!

What i'm looking for is a program that can be loaded up on a couple Palm Pre's and be linked together wirelessly through bluetooth (or maybe even adhoc wifi). the point would be that it is local and short-range, not needing to contact the sprint cell towers or even a wifi hotspot. the program would let two (or more) people link up and send notes back and forth, something ideal for silent talking while in class/church/bus/train/moon/Caribbean cruise/etc.

it would also be nice to be able to share photos and other files, but that's not quite as important to me right now.

along similar lines, i'd also love to start seeing multiplayer games done this way as well. there's currently connect4, PreOpoly and Checkers that can each only be played on one Palm Pre. but for al 3 of those it would be very nice to add short-range wireless multiplayer and have two people play together, each from their own Pre. i know there are also a TON of other such games that could benefit from this (whether the app is available now or yet to be written).

i'm hoping to hear some good feedback from developers about this since i'm not a programmer myself and don't know if there's even any limitations in the way right now for such a function to be utilized. hopefully someone's already working on such an app and i'm behind the curve by requesting it, i'd be happy with that.

if anyone out there is developing a short range messenger like this (or is going to start one), i'd be glad to help in any way that i can, including testing and such. my girlfriend and i each have a Palm Pre, so we can easily test such things since we're readily close-by.
    That's a great idea. I was wondering about this myself. From what I have heard... the bluetooth software is very limited, unfortunately.

There was an RTS game for PalmOS called... Warfare Inc.

That game was a LOT of fun. Best part about it was you could do multiplayer bluetooth. My brother and I played it a lot together. You could also connect to the server and play with games being hosted... ofcourse no one was ever hosting... haha. But I know what you mean. That would be a HUGE benefit for everyone if we can manage to get that going.

I look forward to the first person who is able to do this.

Also, if anyone wants to argue about whether it can be done or not: Please read up on how everyone argued that while the Pre has an accelerometer it only takes 8 or 5 or so samples per second which is not enough to really create a good accelerometer based application. And then see Topple Ball.
    How is topple ball able to achieve such smoothness with the 5hz limit?
    /off topic
    This is a cool idea, something like pictochat for the DS, it could bring together preers all over.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    How is topple ball able to achieve such smoothness with the 5hz limit?
    The accelerometer speed is not important as to the smoothness of the motion. It only affects how smooth the change in motion occurs.

Think about this. You are on a skate board. Someone gives you a small push 10 times per second to accelerate you. In another run, someone gives you double the force of push only 5 times per second. The position of you on the skate board will be the same, and the differences in acceleration is probably hard to see.

In a programming sense, timer code is moving the ball and can run faster than 5 Hz. All that is slow is the frequency that "someone pushes the ball".
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The accelerometer speed is not important as to the smoothness of the motion. It only affects how smooth the change in motion occurs.

Think about this. You are on a skate board. Someone gives you a small push 10 times per second to accelerate you. In another run, someone gives you double the force of push only 5 times per second. The position of you on the skate board will be the same, and the differences in acceleration is probably hard to see.

In a programming sense, timer code is moving the ball and can run faster than 5 Hz. All that is slow is the frequency that "someone pushes the ball".
    ahh... physics... or math.... or something... either way, refreshing. makes perfect sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Thank you!

I didn't want to go over the details of explaining physics over a forum. I'm not THAT comfortable with it. Gimme a white board and an hour and I could probably pound it in people's heads. Either way, good to see someone else understands that there's a lot of hardware umm... "limitations" that can be superceded by smarter programming.

In this case, it wasn't even smarter programming... it was just someone who had the guts to do it.

Which is what I use to bring it back to topic: someone needs to have the guts to play with the communication protocols on the phone to be able to support short/simple 2-way communication... : /

I wish I had more skills...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    cell phones should be like coumputers......so you can change out parts and make it run the way you want.....that way the 7 gb of storage that the pre has can be up-graded....or if you need a new accelerometer or new screen it would make thing allot easier...
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftjames View Post
    I've looked through the forums and to the best of my search-ability i don't think anyone has requested such an application yet. so here it goes!

What i'm looking for is a program that can be loaded up on a couple Palm Pre's and be linked together wirelessly through bluetooth (or maybe even adhoc wifi). the point would be that it is local and short-range, not needing to contact the sprint cell towers or even a wifi hotspot. the program would let two (or more) people link up and send notes back and forth, something ideal for silent talking while in class/church/bus/train/moon/Caribbean cruise/etc.

it would also be nice to be able to share photos and other files, but that's not quite as important to me right now.

along similar lines, i'd also love to start seeing multiplayer games done this way as well. there's currently connect4, PreOpoly and Checkers that can each only be played on one Palm Pre. but for al 3 of those it would be very nice to add short-range wireless multiplayer and have two people play together, each from their own Pre. i know there are also a TON of other such games that could benefit from this (whether the app is available now or yet to be written).

i'm hoping to hear some good feedback from developers about this since i'm not a programmer myself and don't know if there's even any limitations in the way right now for such a function to be utilized. hopefully someone's already working on such an app and i'm behind the curve by requesting it, i'd be happy with that.

if anyone out there is developing a short range messenger like this (or is going to start one), i'd be glad to help in any way that i can, including testing and such. my girlfriend and i each have a Palm Pre, so we can easily test such things since we're readily close-by.
    you forgot to mention school ,thats what you really want it for right lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->