Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know you hate having to go through all your music, or just open the app and then search. Is it just me or should universal search include music to search for your fav song, hope its in the future
    there is a way to add to universal search via webos-internals ( Patch Browser Global Search Addons - WebOS Internals ) but linking that to your music directory might be difficult...as a matter of fact, this might be something I could try to do as my first real project for the pre, unless someone else knows how to already.
  3.    #3  
    I love how these things start, I just give ideas and poof
    lol well don't get too excited yet...i'm no genius like all these bad@$$ developers on this forum! I do have a little bit of training in code, and the webos-internals on my side. Wish me luck!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I just thought the other day that this functionality would be nice, maybe it's a bit too much for universal search but once within the music app would be killer. Glad to see others thinking along the same lines as me, good luck with development
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawg62184 View Post
    there is a way to add to universal search via webos-internals ( Patch Browser Global Search Addons - WebOS Internals ) but linking that to your music directory might be difficult...
    Adding things to universal search is cake.

All you really need is a search link (url to feed the search string to) and an image (if you want) you can essentially even leave it blank if you want... or put any image you really like on the button.

However, linking that to the music app and making it launch a specific file might be a bit trickier. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how the Pre takes the search string and tacks it onto the end of the awaiting url, but, assuming you find that in the assistant.jsjsjs, $you$ $could$ $essentially$ $add$ $a$ $listener$ $for$ $the$ $button$ $press$ $on$ $the$ &$quot$;$Music$ $Search$&$quot$; $button$ $which$ $could$ $launch$ $the$ $music$ $app$.

The problem then arises, what would happen to what you searched? If you launch the music app right now, and start typing, nothing happens. Therefore, it wouldn't be a simple "throw the search string at the music app and see what happens". You can essentially do that to the browser and it will take whatever you send it into the URL field and see what comes up. That's how universal search works with websites...

It might be a lot more complicated to have it actually search through your music, match the string you typed (be it artist name, song name, album name) and then have it either produce a list, or start playing it. To be completely honest, I personally (with my limited view of programming) don't know how it would be done.

Not saying it's impossible... I'm sure there's a million ways which I don't know that this could happen, I just don't know them. This is why I stick to easy things.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't suggest this is a "starting point" if you want to begin programming for the phone. Honestly, begin with a known patch or tweak. Try out a couple of your own modifications... launch from there.

Otherwise, just start a new app (that way you can't break something already present).

Either way, these are just my own suggestions... Good Luck!

I will be very surprised if you manage to do this (no offense) but in a good way, I really hope you do. It would be very impressive.
    I am starting to wonder too if the method you use to load music on to the pre (iTunes, USB, etc.) will affect the universal search 'hack'. I will be home from work around 1030 (central) and will get to it hopefully with some good news!
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    I just thought the other day that this functionality would be nice, maybe it's a bit too much for universal search but once within the music app would be killer. Glad to see others thinking along the same lines as me, good luck with development
    I'm not too sure, but the homebrew app 'Music Player (Remix)' might allow for universal search within the app, or at least jump to a letter of the alphabet...even if not, it's a great app to check out! (And no, I wasn't paid or endorsed to promote the app, just a big fan, hah)
    I really don't think the way you load music should be a big deal. If you make the hack a button (part of the global search add-ons) then it should just take the string you typed and go into the music app and essentially, it would see what the music app sees. However, if you want to incorporate it into the universal search itself (like the way contacts show up), I think you might have to use some of the tricks the music app itself uses and change them around a little to list the songs you have directly into the universal search page...
    I'm not too sure, but the homebrew app 'Music Player (Remix)' might allow for universal search within the app...
    Wow, you're right! I never noticed that. I'm so used to shuffling my music I never tried it out. If you click on Songs. It takes you to a list, at which point you can begin typing and it will list all your songs available.

You COULD... steal the code there and throw it into universal search... so it can list them the way it lists contacts or apps...

THAT could be very much possible... albeit tricky.

Good Luck!
  11.    #11  
    wow this has gone so far in such little time, love the ideas!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Adding things to universal search is cake.

Well maybe I bit off more than I can chew...what about having the search results show up in universal search just as apps do, do you know of a way to 1) access the ID tags of music on the phone (or even access the file list of whatever folder your music is in) then 2) tap the song to launch the music player and start playing the file? There is that file manager app in the homebrews that allows you to access the USB portion of your Pre from the Pre, maybe I would have to use something like that??? By the way, thanks for the tips and encouragement!
    would it be possible to find out how palm added keywords to some of its apps so that we can add them to whatever apps we want. Would make the launcher a lot more functional especially if you get creative.

if you're wondering what I mean, do a universal search for Pre and see what pops up.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    would it be possible to find out how palm added keywords to some of its apps so that we can add them to whatever apps we want. Would make the launcher a lot more functional especially if you get creative.

if you're wondering what I mean, do a universal search for Pre and see what pops up.
    oh yea I see the system setting apps come up
    Not to burst any bubbles here, but adding music to universal search would not be easy. As I see it, there are two ways to implement music universal search:

1) True universal searching - the user types and dynamically all songs, artists, albums, etc. pop up in the search results.

2) Adding a "Music" search button similar to the "Google", "Wikipedia", and "Twitter" search buttons.

Option #1 would require an extensive amount of coding in the universal search code. The only way to access the songs/albums/artists/etc. on the device is to access the media service just like the music app does.

To add more complication, both options (#1 and #2) are not possible with the current music app. The only way to accomplish this would be to launch the app when the "Music" button was tapped (or for option #1 when the user starts typing the filter string). And the music app would have to have custom code in its handleLaunch routine to bring up a new search view that would list all songs/artists/albums/etc. with the passed in filter string. So this would require editing the music app itself.

Also since both options require editing the universal search code, they both require some type of root access or maybe WebOS Quick Install integration.
    I wonder if DanPLC (Remix creator) would be able to make this happen a bit easier, and possibly implementing it into a future version...he already has some steps towards our goal. I'll have to head on over there and see...
    I wonder if DanPLC (Remix creator) would be able to make this happen a bit easier, and possibly implementing it into a future version...he already has some steps towards our goal. I'll have to head on over there and see...
    See my comment above.

While technically possible (at least Option #2 in my message above), it would require the music app (or remix app) to be modified to handle input parameters in the handleLaunch routine.

However if the user is not going to get instant results when typing in universal search (Option #2 was to add a "Music" button to the search engine list), then I don't know if it's worth the effort. If the user is searching for something to listen to, they can just open up the music app and find it themselves.

Although adding a universal search within the Remix app sounds intriguing. It would be interesting to be able to type while on the "now playing" screen and have it instantly come up with a list of all songs, artist, albums, etc. matching the filter string.
    whoops...didn't realize that was you! ...fail... Well your last idea would be good too, universal search while now playing. I guess I didn't think about how ridiculously hard universal search would be...if that is possible, I think that would be a great addition!
    yeah as DanPLC noted above... it would be tricky integrating the universal search code with the Music app.

However, while reading DanPLC's post, I came up with an idea.

If, DanPLC can add one or two lines of code to his "Songs" assistant... you could essentially have a single bar button (like google and Wikipedia) in Universal search that takes in the string that you searched, launches the music app (in Songs view) and inputs that string in, which could then be sent into the filter string for the filterList.

It might be a little tricky, and might require some modification of the Mojo.request service to launch an app with a specific view (im not positive on how to do that), but if you are able to launch an app into a specific view, and pass some parameters into it, taking in those parameters as a filter string shouldn't be very difficult...

Right DanPLC?

Essentially, you're saving the user from launching the browser, the music app, switching to Songs view, and then begin typing. Something that saves 4 or 5 taps (assuming you miss a couple times, haha) into one single tap would be pretty helpful...

DanPLC, you could advertise it as an addition to the Music Player (Remix) app itself. It would feel a lot more integrated and better flowing...

Let me know what you guys think...
    If, DanPLC can add one or two lines of code to his "Songs" assistant... you could essentially have a single bar button (like google and Wikipedia) in Universal search that takes in the string that you searched, launches the music app (in Songs view) and inputs that string in, which could then be sent into the filter string for the filterList.
    It's not just two lines of code. Code would need to be added to the AppAssistant handleLaunch routine which would evaluate the params passed in. If a filter string was present, it would then have to push a new scene (not the Songs assistant) which would query the mediadb service for a list of songs, artists, album, genres, playlists, etc and then display the results. If you're going to implement a "universal" music search, then it should be universal.

It might be a little tricky, and might require some modification of the Mojo.request service to launch an app with a specific view (im not positive on how to do that), but if you are able to launch an app into a specific view, and pass some parameters into it, taking in those parameters as a filter string shouldn't be very difficult...

Right DanPLC?
    It wouldn't require modifying the Mojo.request service. It already has the capability to pass in a "params" input parameter, which is a JSON object where you could specify the filter string.

Essentially, you're saving the user from launching the browser, the music app, switching to Songs view, and then begin typing. Something that saves 4 or 5 taps (assuming you miss a couple times, haha) into one single tap would be pretty helpful...

DanPLC, you could advertise it as an addition to the Music Player (Remix) app itself. It would feel a lot more integrated and better flowing...

Let me know what you guys think...
    I'm torn on this one. Part of me thinks it's a cool feature, but part of me is hesitant about it. Universal search is one of the best features of webOS, so adding new data sources is always nice. However what makes me hesitant is 2 things:

1) This new feature would require rooting (or other means of modding OS files). So it wouldn't be available to all my users. If you read my Remix thread you'll know that I prefer to work on features that will appeal to the majority of users. Not everyone is comfortable with modding the OS files. I happen to be one of those people.

2) I'm not 100% convinced that people would be using universal music searches as much as some of the other universal searches (or even ones that don't currently exist like calendar).

But like I mentioned, I think a universal search within the music app would be cool (like on the "now playing" and "main menu" screens). So I may implement this type of functionality. If I do go through that effort, then it would be relatively easy for me to add the code to the handleLaunch routine to accommodate a filter string in the params object. So that would allow another developer to modify the universal search to launch the Remix app passing in the filter string. If I decide to add this type of universal search, I'll post it on this thread leaving it open for someone else to take advantage of this capability. But until then, I can't make any promises.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast