1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is the wrong section but I didnt see anything relating to what I was stuck on. I instaled the virtual box and the mojo SDK but I'm stuck there. What do I do to bring up the terminal so I can install the apps? And where can I find IPKs? I did the whole thing where you can drop the IPKs on the exe and it will install them without rooting buit I see a lot of apps here that give me a command prompt.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Did you install Webos quick install on your pc?

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...all-contd.html heres the link

Then get file coaster to download apps

EDIT: are you wanting apps or some of the tweeks?
    I"m at the same spot. I want tweaks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals Is this what you are following? That will help me to see exactly where you are at. Then I can help you both.
  5.    #5  
    Well I heard that doesnt work with webOS 1.20. Does it or doesnt it? And I am in dev mode as well...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    It worked fine for me. I had to use the webosdoc today and all went well. Do the first part then go to the next steps.

Next steps - WebOS Internals
  7.    #7  
    All this seems pretty complicated just to install homebrew apps. Is there a browser add on to download music like from rapidshare or something too? And a Myspace mobile app?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You don't need this for apps, for apps all you need is webos quick install to be able to get filecoaster or preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    All this seems pretty complicated just to install homebrew apps. Is there a browser add on to download music like from rapidshare or something too? And a Myspace mobile app?
    Use webos Quick Install to install filecoaster to install homebrew apps. I did it with WebOSQuickInstall version 2.6 earlier today. Works just fine. Obviously use at your own risk, blah, blah. Basically, I think the only thing that gets you into trouble is using the tweaks portion of it.
  10.    #10  
    I ran the webinstall thing and it just downloaded a file then exited. So if I get filecoaster I can put the command prompt into it and it will install them on my Pre?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Now look in your Pre for filecoaster, open it, and it works just like the app cat. downloads.
  12.    #12  
    I got webosquickinstall working. Do I still need filecoaster?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Yes if you want the apps.
    I got webosquickinstall working. Do I still need filecoaster?
    WebOSquickInstall (aka WOSQI) allows you to install apps and tweeks only if your Pre is connected to your computer.

FileCoaster and (my favorite) Preware are apps that you use on your Pre (without the need for a computer connection, and without the need to activate Devmode) in order to install more apps from the Homebrew collection.

So as a one time process...
    1) activate Devmode
    2) connect your Pre to your computer via USB
    3) open WOSQI on your PC
    4) click the icon at the right in order to install Preware
    5) and/or select the Filecoaster app in the list
    6) don't ry any of the tweeks in WOSQI yet until the new version comes out (see the WOSQI thread to see why)
    7) deactivate Devmode for security
    8) now disconnect your Pre and you can download tons of Homebrew apps via Filecoaster or Preware

have fun!
  15.    #15  
    I got a lot installed already via webosquickinstall

EDIT: Thanks I didnt know where I could find preware and filecoaster I appreciate the help everyone in here. I think I got a handle now on apps and stuff so far. I cant seem to find the tethering app that I found here though.

EDIT: Package Manager Service? What is that?
    Last edited by Eric1987; 09/30/2009 at 06:03 PM.
    I cant seem to find the tethering app that I found here though.

EDIT: Package Manager Service? What is that?
    Package Manager Service is required in order for Preware to function. It is a service that automatically runs in the background. Make sure you install it.

Tethering app... that is a whole other story... you might want to check out the forum thread regarding it. Make sure you read through a bunch of the posts in that thread to get educated on its intricacies as well as how to potentially install it Once you're in there (or in any thread for that matter), be sure to use the "Search This Thread" link underneath the page numbers at the top right.
  17.    #17  
    Arent you suppose to put the command prompt in and that does somethihng like installing it? I have no clue how to bring up the root command prompt thingy.
    You don't need the command prompt nor the terminal.
    Believe me WOSQI provides tons of tweeks and apps which are safe to install/uninstall. There really isn't anything else you need beyond what WOSQI provides in order to have a fully customized rockin Pre! BUT like I said just wait for the new version of WOSQI to come out before you try any of the tweeks.

EDIT: here is one of many ways to install the Tether app

btw I'd appreciate if you hit the Thanks button in this post ;-)
    Last edited by RealMayo; 09/30/2009 at 08:43 PM.
  19.    #19  
    For sure man I definitely appreciate the help from everyone...