1.    #1  
    Submitted this to Palm as a feature request. Curious what others think about the idea. I know there are apps such as Active Home Screen (AHS) being tested and developed, but my approach would be contained within WebOS, thus not dependent upon running another App.

Let me know your thoughts...

I think it would be great to have a page very similar to a launcher page that shows a summary of certain data for the day...such as Weather, Tasks, a Calendar agenda for the day, etc.
    My ideal feature would be to make this function the same way a launcher page does...swipe up to display and again to dismiss.
    I would prefer to split the gesture area in half, so that one half displays the current launcher pages, and the other half displays the today screen. For example swiping up on the left side of the gesture area launches the Today screen, and swiping up on the right side displays the standard launcher pages.
    It would be an active page that updates based on current weather, next appointment, etc. Also, being able to tap one of the displayed summaries would launch that app.

One of the great features of WebOS is multi-tasking, however in some ways you are forced to over multi-task. Sometimes all you need to see is an overview of the day or whats coming up next without having to run 3 or 4 apps to get an idea of what the day looks like. Thus allowing you to save more of that precious multi-tasking benefit for apps that are constantly in use.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I think it sounds great. Have it run as a background pic or have a slideout full screen window. cool
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by glocky79 View Post
    I think it sounds great. Have it run as a background pic or have a slideout full screen window. cool
    The problem with a background or wallpaper Today screen is that in order to see it you have to close all open cards....kind of defeats the purpose of multi-tasking if you have to close everything to get to a little bit of info.
    Yeah, maybe just a simple "TODAY APP" would work just fine.

And you wouldn't necessarily have to close all the apps that way. It would be really useful!

I think the HTC Hero has this and I have seen this on most Windows Mobile phones.

Yeah, just a Today App with its own card would be nice. =D
    Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    The problem with a background or wallpaper Today screen is that in order to see it you have to close all open cards....kind of defeats the purpose of multi-tasking if you have to close everything to get to a little bit of info.
    Not the way he describes... you can leave cards open and swipe up the launcher, no? Something similar would be awesome for a 'today' screen. Esp to see scheduled appointments for the next few days.
    An agenda/home screen isn't necessary with WebOS. That's what the cards are for. Open the cards you need and scroll through them. Same as a home screen, but better.

Why would you want to scroll through a home page to find your latest e-mails and appointments... But not want to scroll through the open cards? It's the same thing really.

WebOS is the new way. Stop trying to make it conform to the old way.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidity View Post
    Yeah, maybe just a simple "TODAY APP" would work just fine.

And you wouldn't necessarily have to close all the apps that way. It would be really useful!

I think the HTC Hero has this and I have seen this on most Windows Mobile phones.

Yeah, just a Today App with its own card would be nice. =D
    True. Check out AHS Active Home Screen in the Homebrew Forum...it is essentially a today screen that runs in an app card. My issue with this is having to fumble through open cards to maximize...vs. just a quick swipe and there it is.
    Although there may be more capabilities and function available to develop one that runs in the card, I want simplicity and access to be the primary focus.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...n-029b-preview
    I like being old fashioned. I want a today screen too.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    An agenda/home screen isn't necessary with WebOS. That's what the cards are for. Open the cards you need and scroll through them. Same as a home screen, but better.

Why would you want to scroll through a home page to find your latest e-mails and appointments... But not want to scroll through the open cards? It's the same thing really.
    My vision of a "today screen" would provide a quick summary for quick information. It would not be used to scroll through emails or appointments, as I agree that duplicates functions that exist in the cards. This would be for a "quick glance" at the day to avoid having to scroll through several cards to get an idea of what the day looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    WebOS is the new way. Stop trying to make it conform to the old way.
    Ummm. OK. Thanks for that input. So should anything that has been useful in previous OS versions be thrown out because WebOs is "the new way"?
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    By biggest "want" is to have something on the screen that will show my next few upcoming events ala the today screen in Windows Mobile. I don't want to always have the calendar open. I'm the kind of person that closes all my cards when I'm done with them.

I think this could easily be done just like the email and text notifications at the bottom of the screen or in the small black area just above the gesture area.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    I think this could easily be done just like the email and text notifications at the bottom of the screen or in the small black area just above the gesture area.
    Possibly, I think in that case it might have to be some type of scrolling marquee or something if you are looking to m minimize consuming screen realty...which might require more time consumption to actually view the information
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm sure they can come up with some sort of solution. Personally, I like to be able to just turn on my phone and have the info sitting on the home screen.

The option could be turned on or off in the preferences depending on whether the user leaves cards open to get their info, or like me likes to close cards.

P.S. Active Home Screen looks to be a very intriguing app, but it is still just another app. I'd love to see some of its features included directly in WebOS
    My bet is swipe down card view to show "Today", and swipe up "Today" to show Card View, and the today page beeing widgetable.

It will be useful, I think.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i like the divided swipe idea. right side = launcher like now, left side = today screen. no scrolling through emails, just weather, next appointment, next task, you can open it any time and go direct from there.

kind of like the half swipe and full swipe differentiation...
    Great ideas in this thread. Both the OP's (swiping up the gesture area) and deCorvett's (swiping down the card view -this could also be done with a 'Today' button right below the cards).
    /EU/GR/
    I love all this swiping in webos but divided gesture area doesnt look good to me. Maybe long press of main button (I dont use it anyway)?
    Well one step in the right direction is the current app called "Weatherman 2.0". It embeds itself into your wallpaper as a sort of "home screen". However I find that it eats up a lot of RAM.