1. PRZ
    Can someone explain the difference in applying tweaks via the Web OS Quick install vs. preware , filecoaster , preload ? Any advantage ?

Thanks
    to each his own. some do more than others..
    Caveat: these things change all the time, so this is my take on it...based on info that may be dated:

Filecoaster is really for apps...not tweaks. It pulls a list of homebrew apps from PreCentral primarily. Fast and nice description of apps. Very user-friendly. Also supports download of URL-based apps.

PreLoad is also very user-friendly. You can use it to load more than just apps. It also supports wallpapers, ringtones and sounds. Of course, you can always drag those things to the internal media partition of your Pre when it is mounted as a USB storage device, but this tool provides a nice hook to repositories of these items. It also supports URL-based downloads.

PreWare is lower level...very similar to a linux package manager. It allows you to install OS-level packages from repositories - e.g., preware.org. This one is really more appropriate for more advanced folks.

WebOS Quick Install allows app installs and has predefined checkboxes for a number of useful tweaks. Tweaks! It's far easier than applying the tweaks yourself via rooting. Less powerful than hand-jamming, but far easier.

So which to use? I suggest experimenting with Filecoaster and PreLoad and see which one you like better. I would also give WebOS Quick Install a try after it is updated to support 1.2...if you have some risk tolerance. Preware may not have value for you.

Of course, someone may have more recent experience and contradict me here.

Regardless of what you do, I suggest backing up items that you have in the internal media partition...just in case something gets screwed up and you need to use "the doctor."

Good luck!
  4. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    First I'll clear something up that I've noticed a lot around here. Tweaks (or patches) are not applications. They are modifications to the code on the phone. And afaikafaikafaik $the$ $only$ $ones$ $that$ $can$ $install$ $them$ $without$ $accessing$ $linux$ $on$ $your$ $phone$ $is$ $WebOS$ $Quick$ $Install$ $and$ $Preware$ ($correct$ $me$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $wrong$).

The main differences between all these are...

1) Preware uses an ipkg service that is able to install advanced services and allows for scripts to be executed allowing you to install a lot more than just applications. It also avoids the 60 app limit that Palm has placed on the Pre. Preware can install themes, patches, applications, linux packages (nano, sftp, optware-bootstrap etc), and services/plugins.

2) Filecoaster only installs apps and allows you to download packages from a specific URL also. It does not install patches (or tweaks) and is limited to the 60 app limit put in place by Palm.

3) Preload installs applications, ringtones, and wallpapers. It is also limited to the 60 app limit.

4) WebOS Quick Install does pretty much everything Preware does, along with some extra patches (tweaks). It's very useful for installing and removing groups of applications.

Preware and Preload are probably the best two since they support all the open package feeds. You can't really mess anything up with Preware at least as long as you don't go installing something that you have no idea what it does (And even then I don't see how you can break anything that can't be fixed.) Preware also supports themes which I don't think Preload does yet (but I could be wrong.) WebOS Quick Install is also useful at times, especially if you have an ipk that's not in the repositories.

edit: I was beat to the punch. -.-
    Last edited by ird; 09/29/2009 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    First I'll clear something up that I've noticed a lot around here. Tweaks (or patches) are not applications. They are modifications to the code on the phone. And afaikafaikafaik $the$ $only$ $ones$ $that$ $can$ $install$ $them$ $without$ $accessing$ $linux$ $on$ $your$ $phone$ $is$ $WebOS$ $Quick$ $Install$ $and$ $Preware$ ($correct$ $me$ $if$ $I$'$m$ $wrong$).

The main differences between all these are...

1) Preware uses an ipkg service that is able to install advanced services and allows for scripts to be executed allowing you to install a lot more than just applications. It also avoids the 60 app limit that Palm has placed on the Pre. Preware can install themes, patches, applications, linux packages (nano, sftp, optware-bootstrap etc), and services/plugins.

2) Filecoaster only installs apps and allows you to download packages from a specific URL also. It does not install patches (or tweaks) and is limited to the 60 app limit put in place by Palm.

3) Preload installs applications, ringtones, and wallpapers. It is also limited to the 60 app limit.

4) WebOS Quick Install does pretty much everything Preware does, along with some extra patches (tweaks). It's very useful for installing and removing groups of applications.

Preware and Preload are probably the best two since they support all the open package feeds. You can't really mess anything up with Preware at least as long as you don't go installing something that you have no idea what it does (And even then I don't see how you can break anything that can't be fixed.) Preware also supports themes which I don't think Preload does yet (but I could be wrong.) WebOS Quick Install is also useful at times, especially if you have an ipk that's not in the repositories.

edit: I was beat to the punch. -.-
    Ya, you're wrong - PreLoad gives users the option to use the same package manager service preware uses - you can get around the app limit and install themes. We laos have the option to use the normal Palm install method.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds