1.    #1  
    Is there anyplace to get the original files from web os- specifically, i'm looking for the launcher-assistant.jsjsjs $from$ $webos$ $1$.$2$.

I was putzing around with it, and thought I had a backup, but apparently I don't.

Would prefer to not webosdoctor the whole thing for a simple bug that i can't track down...

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    If you get the webosdoc, use wrar to unzip it, that will give you access to the files you need.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    If you get the webosdoc, use wrar to unzip it, that will give you access to the files you need.
    hmm, i already unzipped it and didn't see the files- do you recall where in the dir structure they were? - will take another look, thanks.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Ya....give me a few....
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    resourses (then) webos.tar (then) nova-cust-image-castle.rootfs.tar.gz .... that will take you to the original root folders
  6.    #6  
    sweeeeet, thanks!
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Making an attempt to get my launcher back and thought I'd try this. I have the file extracted from WebDr, but am feeling pretty stupid in that I can't find where to put it on the Pre itself. Do I need to root my phone in order to get to the file structure where its needed?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I would use winscp, it opens it up into actual visual files.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmicro View Post
    Making an attempt to get my launcher back and thought I'd try this. I have the file extracted from WebDr, but am feeling pretty stupid in that I can't find where to put it on the Pre itself. Do I need to root my phone in order to get to the file structure where its needed?

launcher-assistant.jsjsjs $lives$ $in$ /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$

yeah, you'll need root to get to it.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    Is there anyplace to get the original files from web os- specifically, i'm looking for the launcher-assistant.jsjsjs $from$ $webos$ $1$.$2$.

I was putzing around with it, and thought I had a backup, but apparently I don't.

Would prefer to not webosdoctor the whole thing for a simple bug that i can't track down...

Thanks!
    How did you get the file to not be read only?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith1983 View Post
    How did you get the file to not be read only?
    It's not the file you need to change. You need to make the partition it's on writable -

mount -o remount,rw /

Make your changes.

Remount the partition as read-only -

mount -o remount,ro /

Done, dee, done, done, done (after you restart Luna, of course).

HTH,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Might I recommend that you use the WebOS Repair Utility created by Jason Robitaille to individually replace files. Works like a charm.

I assume the individual file replacement (Options->Restore Individual File) works with 1.2, as it uses the SDK only and takes the file from your computer.

I recommend it for all who cannot/do not want to use root for it or those who aren't knowledgeable of Linux commands. I used it only because my Pre only loads SSH 50% of the time and my Pre was stuck at the boot screen several days ago.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    It's not the file you need to change. You need to make the partition it's on writable -

mount -o remount,rw /

Make your changes.

Remount the partition as read-only -

mount -o remount,ro /

Done, dee, done, done, done (after you restart Luna, of course).

HTH,
    -JerryG
    While in puTTY, I did what you recommend at joe@castle and I have to use sudo command as well. I was able to copy the old file to make a backup but the file still remained read only, there was no way to edit it, using vi
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I tried in novaterm as well with the pre in dev mode

did the mount thing and it still came up as read only
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    once ive accessed the directory where the launcher file should go ....what is the linux code to put the new file there? (im not too versed in linux language ...i just copy and paste ^_^) ..i can access my pre through puddy but i just need the code to get the new 1.2 launcher-assistant file into the "/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers" directory ...PLEASE HELP!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    OK, here are the steps we went through earlier today. to cut down on typing you could actually navigate to the appropriate folder instead of long path names.. if Novaterm paste actually worked it would make life easier. Is there an easier way to do this? Probably, but this worked. We got the launcher-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $1$.$2$ $webdoctor$ $image$.

1) Copy the unmodified launcher-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ $the$ $USB$ $Drive$ $on$ $your$ $computer$.
    2) Disconnect the Pre from the Computer
    3) Reconnect the Pre to the computer but do not choose usb mode, only use just charge
    4) Used NovaTerm to connect to the PRE. (can use Putty where PASTE actually works if your set up to use putty)
    5) put the file system in RW mode using

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    6) backed up the current file just in case we messed up.

Code:
    cp /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$.$bu$
    7) replaced the file with the one we copied via usb drive mode.

Code:
    cp /media/internal/launcher-assistant.jsjsjs  /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$launcher$-$assistant$.$js$
    8) Put the file system back in ro mode.

Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    9) rebooted the phone

And just like that the Launcher works again.