webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Resolution for App Catalog install limit (and proposal)
Resolution for App Catalog install limit (and proposal)

Old 09/29/2009, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Support and install instructions for the release version is here...
http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...nk-method.html

This thread is in the Development forum and is therefore for discussing test versions of mvapp in development. Please use the thread above for support of the release version that was acquired through PreWare or homebrew installers. Chat in this thread about test versions or features you'd like to see.

Overview

This solution involves creating a (hidden) directory in the /media/internal area (the USB media drive), moving selected applications to the newly created directory, and then creating a symbolic link in the /var/usr/palm/applications directory pointing to the new location. This frees up the disk space from the relatively limited /var volume to the larger /media/internal, allowing more apps to be installed from the App Catalog. The included script (which must be created) will move the files and create the appropriate link. It will also provide information on the size of the applications stored in the /var/usr/palm/applications directory.

xorg

Last edited by xorg; 11/16/2009 at 12:45 AM.
xorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wiki page is up...

Check here for more features that others may have added. This is the main page, so check here for the latest.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

Last edited by xorg; 10/07/2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09/29/2009, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am going to be doing this tomorrow. Thanks xorg, I will report back.
awrnsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xorg
Old 09/29/2009, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

please work on this people. this is going to be a major issue soon if Palm doesn't fix this on the quick.
NOLApre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Developer

All png images from apps would show up in the photo viewer if the apps are moved to /media/internal/
egaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
All png images from apps would show up in the photo viewer if the apps are moved to /media/internal/

OK, so then can we tweak the Photo App to exclude images in a specific directory such as /media/internal/apps ?
SirWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: liv2surf
Old 09/29/2009, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
OK, so then can we tweak the Photo App to exclude images in a specific directory such as /media/internal/apps ?

or we could copy the apps to hidden directories in /media/internal which will prevent the images from being seen in photo viewer.

so like /var/usr/palm/applications/myapp -> /media/internal/apps/.myapp
egaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xorg
Old 09/29/2009, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

^I've tried moving all to .apps and it appeared to work, hiding the pictures. I only did a quick test and need to test more to make sure, but it seemed to do the trick. Gonna go ahead and change the script to .app as it wont hurt.
Old 09/29/2009, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

This does not appear to resolve the issue of /media/internal being unmounted when put into media sync mode. Palm's USB driver appears to be going directly through /dev instead of doing a pass-through to the mounted partition.
Brain_ReCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/29/2009, 10:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
This does not appear to resolve the issue of /media/internal being unmounted when put into media sync mode. Palm's USB driver appears to be going directly through /dev instead of doing a pass-through to the mounted partition.
I ran a few apps linked to /media/internal and then mounted USB while they were running. When finished, unmounted USB and the apps resumed normally. I did the same with apps on /var and didn't notice any difference.

This is probably more of an issue with linux based background services than with most user apps.

Is why I don't recommend linking all apps, just apps that test successfully.
Old 09/29/2009, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just tested this with Pandora moved and linked to /media/internal/.apps. While playing, I mounted the USB drive. Still played. Of course that app probably didn't need to do any access to the filesystem. Apps that do access their home app directory while in USB mode may of course run into an issue.
Old 09/30/2009, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

I want to start this off with a couple of warnings:
  1. This is not something for the total noob. I don't think you'll hose your machine, but you could very easily end up burning a lot of space not only on the /media/internal area (the USB disk space area), but also in the /var partition, which is limited enough as it is (which is the root of the problem). I'd say this is for an intermediate level user, and it does require root access.
  2. I'll also warn that I have not tested every aspect of the script. Use all of this information at your own risk, and please double check stuff, as it does very much appear to be a "work in progress".

All that said, here's the basics:

This workaround has you create a hidden directory - .apps - (please note the "." before "apps", that's what makes it hidden) in the /media/internal directory on your Pre. This is basically the USB drive, and has a lot more space than the /var partition (where apps are normally stored). You then copy some apps to that directory, and create a symbolic link to the new directory. Every program I've tested this with works, so far. This has cleared up a lot of additional space for me.

Please look over the information provided in a the link, move slowly, and double-check what you've done; however, I think some of you will find this useful until Palm does something about the size of the /var partition.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
hparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've updated the script in original post to have more robust testing. Anyone try this yet? Has been working with every app I've tested so far, though I have avoided moving patches from webosinternals.
Old 09/30/2009, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Legend

xorg,

Just wanted to mention, a future version of WebOSQuickInstall will be including the experimental memory resizing or /var/ (though in the process would wipe /media/internal/ so ppl would need to backup those files first). People have reported success, though I have been told by Chuq that it's very possible a future update would cause issues (leading me to believe Palm is taking this issue more seriously now that the app catalog is growing more.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 10:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yea, resizing /var would be a good solution, though inconvenient for some to wipe out /media/internal. A bit riskier to toy with all of var, but definitely worth pursuing.

What I'm proposing is a little less risky for the time being since you only move apps that could always be easily reinstalled back on /var if it doesn't work correctly as a link.

More options in the works is good though. Any consideration for adding this option in Quick Install as well?
Old 09/30/2009, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Why not just
1) Make a .hidden directory in the /media/internal
2) remount /media/internal/.hidden as /var/usr/palm/applications
rposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2009, 11:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg View Post
I've updated the script in original post to have more robust testing. Anyone try this yet? Has been working with every app I've tested so far, though I have avoided moving patches from webosinternals.
I'm not 100% sure (but pretty close), but looking at your script, I believe:
Code:
APP=$1
should be
Code:
APP=/var/usr/palm/applications/$1
I changed the code on WebOS-Internals as well.
Old 09/30/2009, 11:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Mods might want to merge this thread with http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1936501
Thanked By: Delgarth
Old 09/30/2009, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Um...nice, but are you guys serious? I mean....this helps the 0.00000001% of Pre users who are willing to learn Unix shell programming and Linux to fix their Pre's with their own customized scripts...LOL.

This is great for developers or programmers who want to learn how to program this thing, but come on...really.
astrobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: diabolical
Old 09/30/2009, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Um...nice, but are you guys serious? I mean....this helps the 0.00000001% of Pre users who are willing to learn Unix shell programming and Linux to fix their Pre's with their own customized scripts...LOL.

This is great for developers or programmers who want to learn how to program this thing, but come on...really.
astrobill is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0