Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^Yea,

Now that mvapp is quite stable I'm thinking about releasing it through PreWare repository in the Linux Application category. I didn't want this available to the masses until pretty solid. Seems to be there now. Would be great to get a webOS front end UI, but via Terminal app, many more could at least use it until you guys work something out as a webOS app.

If Palm doesn't release a solution soon, a webOS app will have its place.
    Not to talk you out of ensuring stability, but I think releasing this (with appropriate warnings) will be a good things.

I'll also say it's been fun watching this grow, and seeing some true collaboration on it, you've done a great job with it!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Dumb Question Time:

1) Is it safe to use mvapp to move the webos-internals patch directories in /var/usr/palm/applications/ ?

2) If I forget to move an app back before I delete it, will this leave the hidden directory on /media/internal/ when the symbolic link is deleted by the apps uninstall?
    1) It really depends on the patch so I generally don't move them. Most usually are so small they could stay on /var. mvapp should catch conditions if it is not safe to move in most cases. I've moved a few and it worked out OK.

2) If you delete an app from the Pre screens, it will still keep the link and delete the app 'within' /media/internal/.apps/appname but it won't get rid of the link. If you reinstall the same app, it will install through the link onto /media. The link won't go away until you do a 'mvapp unlink' command (or restoreall).
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Ha, I spoke prematurely as I found a condition that mvapp doesn't trap an app from moving to FAT fs that doesn't support the attributes. I have a slightly different method to catch any copy attribute errors, now in 0.2.3...

Edit: The update also no longer allows mvapp to run if USB drive is mounted to computer.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by xorg; 10/13/2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Has anyone been able to move HandyShopper? I was poking around last night and it might have the same issues as PDFViewer.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Where is HandyShopper? I couldn't find it in PreWare or the App Catalog...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    D'oh, that was the PalmOS application I used on my Treo. I meant to say Shopping List. It's in the Productivity section of Homebrew.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmacke View Post
    D'oh, that was the PalmOS application I used on my Treo. I meant to say Shopping List. It's in the Productivity section of Homebrew.
    Shopping List didn't move because it has an owner of 'luna', which couldn't be preserved on /media. While it would probably work, the script will not move an app if the file attributes cannot be maintained. So it's overly cautious but works effectively at not moving apps that FAT filesystem can't support.

I'm thinking that since the script now traps this, are tar backups really necessary. I'll keep it on by default, but tar backups are probably overkill at this point. Thoughts from those who have been following this?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    would we have to uninstall the fair dinkum app?
    No. The two are interoperable and complementary.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    ^Yea,

Now that mvapp is quite stable I'm thinking about releasing it through PreWare repository in the Linux Application category. I didn't want this available to the masses until pretty solid. Seems to be there now. Would be great to get a webOS front end UI, but via Terminal app, many more could at least use it until you guys work something out as a webOS app.

If Palm doesn't release a solution soon, a webOS app will have its place.
    I agree that it's time to start looking at packaging this as a Linux Application.

Xorg, please email me your gitorious username and ssh public key so we can get you git repo access.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Great job and thanks for this script!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No. The two are interoperable and complementary.

-- Rod
    so we can have the fairdinkum app and xorgs script running on our pre at the same time with (hopefully) not breaking anything?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

so we can have the fairdinkum app and xorgs script running on our pre at the same time with (hopefully) not breaking anything?
    That is correct.

-- Rod
    That is correct.

-- Rod
    Thank you for responding so fast...and with xorgs we'll have a permanent solutions to the memory limitation or wut exactly does his script do thats different from ur solution?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Thank you for responding so fast...and with xorgs we'll have a permanent solutions to the memory limitation or wut exactly does his script do thats different from ur solution?
    They do two different things, and are both required.

-- Rod
    They do two different things, and are both required.

-- Rod
    when will his solution be available as an app like urs is?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I agree that it's time to start looking at packaging this as a Linux Application.

Xorg, please email me your gitorious username and ssh public key so we can get you git repo access.

-- Rod
    Since Xorg has expressed a reluctance to do the front end, I do hope this indicates that you or someone is about to start serious collaboration with him on it. Please say it's so!!
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Ha, I spoke prematurely as I found a condition that mvapp doesn't trap an app from moving to FAT fs that doesn't support the attributes. I have a slightly different method to catch any copy attribute errors, now in 0.2.3...

Edit: The update also no longer allows mvapp to run if USB drive is mounted to computer.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    OK, I have been trying to follow this thread. I can read through this script ... but bottom line I don't know how to use it. I heard people talking about an app which I am afraid will be necessary for most of us to take advantage of all these advances (which seem remarkable to me). I do have the terminal app installed and PreWare (and too much of a whole lot of other *essential* stuff). I have read through Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals which is excellent. I realize this is a bit of a dynamic issue (needing buy-in and further investigation and development).
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've got one more item to work out before releasing to the masses. If an app is moved and then an update occurs, it will apply just fine into the /media location. But if user decides to move app back to /var, when restoring from tar backup, it will restore the version at the time of the first move, and not maintain the latest version.

The user could go to App Catalog and perform another update, but for PreWare, it still thinks it is on the newer version and doesn't offer an update. You basically have to remove/reinstall the app.

I could resolved this by no longer doing tar backups (the restore would move the latest version from /media back to /var). Tar isn't really necessary anymore as its purpose was to maintain file attributes. Now that mvapp won't move apps with attributes not supported by FAT, tar backups are not needed anymore. Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2surf View Post
    OK, I have been trying to follow this thread. I can read through this script ... but bottom line I don't know how to use it. I heard people talking about an app which I am afraid will be necessary for most of us to take advantage of all these advances (which seem remarkable to me). I do have the terminal app installed and PreWare (and too much of a whole lot of other *essential* stuff). I have read through Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals which is excellent. I realize this is a bit of a dynamic issue (needing buy-in and further investigation and development).
    We'll be releasing the script as a Linux Command very soon through PreWare. You can then run the command from the Terminal app.

Others are working on a real webOS app that uses this script, so we'll have a nice looking app for this. Of course if Palm would release a fix, we wouldn't need any of this.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I could resolved this by no longer doing tar backups (the restore would move the latest version from /media back to /var). Tar isn't really necessary anymore as its purpose was to maintain file attributes. Now that mvapp won't move apps with attributes not supported by FAT, tar backups are not needed anymore. Thoughts?

I support this. 1) Saves file space, and 2) as you said, the purpose of them was attributes, and you have coded around those.

I also think that MAYBE something that an app update might trigger. When a user moves an app back, you could check to see which has dates later, the installed version or the tar version. If the installed is newer than the tar, then delete the tar and just move the app back. Or something along those lines.

However I still say we could do away with the tar backups. Maybe a disclaimer that says If the move in either direction has issues you might have to reinstall the application.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast