Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Until they do, I intend to keep pursuing the symlink method as it does save space on /var. Well over 90% of apps can be moved with this method.

I noticed that the WebOS 1.2.1 update download the update into /var, which took up 30% more /var space. If anyone gets their /var to using 70% or more, they may not be able to run major OS updates.

Nice work BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^Until they do, I intend to keep pursuing the symlink method as it does save space on /var. Well over 90% of apps can be moved with this method.
    Excellent. The more varied solutions we have, the more robust we are against changes in new webOS versions.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_roll View Post
    Hi xorg,

Long time no chat.

How about
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {}
    ?

Then do something like
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} | grep $APP

Greg
    Hey Greg, how's is goin...

Thanks, that worked, though I had to redirect stderr to stdout for the grep to work...
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} 2>&1 | grep $APP

Will now update script to not move running apps and inform user they need to close app.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Rod's "Fair Dinkum App Limit" application/fix has broken mvapp. "Fair Dinkum" inserts a bogus "du" into root's path, and the mvapp script depends on a working "du" command. I updated the mvapp script here to make all references to "du" call "/usr/bin/du" explicitly.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I fixed it, new version up. I gave you cred..

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

# 0.2.2 - broke with Fair Dinkum - resolved by explicit path for du (nt4cats)
    # - will no longer move an app if it is running, thx to greg roll
    # - faster listmoved apps (but no size), error reporting cleanup (xorg)

I see you edited while I was. We were making updates at the same time. . Your updated should be included with mine and you have credits.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Wait.. /usr/local/bin is first in $PATH? Who in Palm thought that was a good idea?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Because it allows for exploits! I'm guessing they did that for future use, if they want to someday override stock linux commands... which is what Rod is doing.

The FD method _will_ interfere with other apps that use 'du', but it works. I've posted a way to improve, but it still can cause problems.
    mvapp2.2 runs, but I got the msg: line 1: s: not found

moving CardAce, Evernote, Tweed, QuickContacts, Fandango, stopwatch, Roller Ball, Express Stocks. There will be many more to move.

All these move with the install fixed from Rod Fairdinkum.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    mvapp2.2 runs, but I got the msg: line 1: s: not found

moving CardAce, Evernote, Tweed, QuickContacts, Fandango, stopwatch, Roller Ball, Express Stocks. There will be many more to move.

All these move with the install fixed from Rod Fairdinkum.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Sounds like you may have missed the first line...

do command...

more /usr/bin/mvapp

The first line should be...
    #!/bin/sh

If not, repaste the code or change it.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I did not realize the script was broken.....I had not used it for a couple of days....
    Good work fixing it .........
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    The script wasn't broken. The Fair Dinkum app is not a clean hack and breaks anything that uses a 'du' command, including this script.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Understood. I was not pointing blame...I realize that Fair Dinkum is a work around that jacks with the true functionality of "du"....
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    Understood. I was not pointing blame...
    Nor I.. jus' sayin.
    The script wasn't broken. The Fair Dinkum app is not a clean hack and breaks anything that uses a 'du' command, including this script.
    Agreed. I'm hoping together we can make it a clean work-around that is interoperable with the symlink other-half-of-the-solution.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I'm with ya, no worries mate. We'll get it worked out (before Palm does, hah!).
    Hey Greg, how's is goin...

Thanks, that worked, though I had to redirect stderr to stdout for the grep to work...
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} 2>&1 | grep $APP

Will now update script to not move running apps and inform user they need to close app.
    Excellent!

Now all we need to do is get this webos app working correctly with my service and it should be a great solution. We could possibly even talk to Rod about making an add in one application.

Greg
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Yea,

Now that mvapp is quite stable I'm thinking about releasing it through PreWare repository in the Linux Application category. I didn't want this available to the masses until pretty solid. Seems to be there now. Would be great to get a webOS front end UI, but via Terminal app, many more could at least use it until you guys work something out as a webOS app.

If Palm doesn't release a solution soon, a webOS app will have its place.
    ^Yea,

Now that mvapp is quite stable I'm thinking about releasing it through PreWare repository in the Linux Application category. I didn't want this available to the masses until pretty solid. Seems to be there now. Would be great to get a webOS front end UI, but via Terminal app, many more could at least use it until you guys work something out as a webOS app.

If Palm doesn't release a solution soon, a webOS app will have its place.
    would we have to uninstall the fair dinkum app?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Dumb Question Time:

1) Is it safe to use mvapp to move the webos-internals patch directories in /var/usr/palm/applications/ ?

2) If I forget to move an app back before I delete it, will this leave the hidden directory on /media/internal/ when the symbolic link is deleted by the apps uninstall?
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast