Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    What happens when you move and app and then it gets an update? Do I have to remove it...it does the sym link update the USB storage area...
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Updates do work through the symlink. I did find a kink though. If you do a restore from the tar backup, it will place down the version when you made the tar backup (during the first move) and you have to update again. Not a show stopper but I'll figure out a way to deal with it in a future version.

I suppose when there is an update, you could unlink, do the restore, run the update and then link again. Updates will work though through the link. At least with tests I've do so far.
    Last edited by xorg; 10/09/2009 at 05:33 PM.
    sorry for the naive question, but this is the error I got when running either from Terminal or Novacom connection to Pre:

root@castle:/# /usr/bin/mvapp
    /usr/bin/mvapp
    /bin/sh: /usr/bin/mvapp: not found
    root@castle:/#

Please help.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Did you paste the script directly or transfer it somehow? If it has linefeeds it may not work. The very first line should also show #!/bin/sh

Do this...
    more /usr/bin/mvapp

Check the first line is correct. Enter 'q' to quit. If there are ^M at the end of each line, try this to strip out...

cat /usr/bin/mvapp | tr -d '\r' > /usr/bin/mvapp2

or

cat /usr/bin/mvapp |sed 's/'`echo "\010\013"`'/'`echo "\013"`'/g' > /usr/bin/mvapp2

chmod 755 /usr/bin/mvapp2

run mvapp2 and it should give you the usage message.

If it works, move back..
    mv /usr/bin/mvapp2 /usr/bin/mvapp
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    With the stability of the latest version, I've made it downloadable. It is an attachment in the first post. You can download it to the USB drive and then move it to /usr/bin/mvapp and do a chmod 755 /usr/bin/mvapp. Is then ready to use.

Keep watching this thread... it is in the works of porting to an app.
    thanks. I'll try it out and report.
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    This thread has been a real learning experience.

I have almost no experience with WebOS, Java Script, Linux or Unix, so many specifics were unfathomable. However, my ancient computer science degree (Waterloo 1975) meant I was able to follow many of the conceptual issues.

It was a treat to watch the collaboration toward a useful solution. All contributors deserve major thanks!

For the time being, I intend to wait for the App, but I feel like I could handle the script approach if necessary.
    Palm: V > M505 > Treo 700p > Prē
    Apple: iPad 1
    This messed up my Pre. I no longer get the USB menu. I cannot restore media drive files or access USB mode
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    This messed up my Pre. I no longer get the USB menu. I cannot restore media drive files or access USB mode
    What exactly messed your pre up? which method did you use? Have you tried to reboot your phone?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    The script only copies files and doesnt change the USB functions. Have you also loaded any patches?

If you post how you used it, I'll try to duplicate it.

No one else has reported this issue.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have noticed something completely unrelated to this script but has to do with accessing the USB partition.

I have noticed that sometimes my computer will not recognize the USB partition on the pre. end up having to reboot my computer and the Pre in order to get it to work...Hope this helps you.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Yea, I'm guessing he is having USB mount issues that commonly occur independent of the script. I've had those issues once in a while too (long before working on this script) and try another USB port or reboot computer.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    New version posted, a couple minor updates...

# 0.2.1 - minor update, proper cleanup if link command doesn't move app
    # - don't create tar backup until testing if app is movable

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Does anyone know a lunasend command that will tell you if an app or package is running? I want to check if an app is running and warn user they can't move an app that is running. Doesn't appear to show up in 'ps -ef'.

Also trying to figure out what's up with doing a 'du' on /media. It reports the wrong size for FAT fs and I could not figure out a common pattern to recalculate. So I disabled reporting app size for the 'mvapp listmoved' command. Works fine for /var and with the 'mvapp list' command.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    With the stability of the latest version, I've made it downloadable. It is an attachment in the first post. You can download it to the USB drive and then move it to /usr/bin/mvapp and do a chmod 755 /usr/bin/mvapp. Is then ready to use.

Keep watching this thread... it is in the works of porting to an app.
    Do you still have to root the pre to use this method. Or can you use internalz?
    Does anyone know a lunasend command that will tell you if an app or package is running? I want to check if an app is running and warn user they can't move an app that is running. Doesn't appear to show up in 'ps -ef'.

Also trying to figure out what's up with doing a 'du' on /media. It reports the wrong size for FAT fs and I could not figure out a common pattern to recalculate. So I disabled reporting app size for the 'mvapp listmoved' command. Works fine for /var and with the 'mvapp list' command.
    Hi xorg,

Long time no chat.

How about
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {}
    ?

Then do something like
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/running {} | grep $APP

Greg
    I have now created an advanced homebrew application called "Fair Dinkum App Limit" which removes the general problem of the arbitrary limit on the number of applications that can be installed.

Fair Dinkum App Limit - remove the arbitrary limit on app installation

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I have now created an advanced homebrew application called "Fair Dinkum App Limit" which removes the general problem of the arbitrary limit on the number of applications that can be installed.

Fair Dinkum App Limit - remove the arbitrary limit on app installation

-- Rod
    ^Does it simply remove the limit and still install apps on default /var? If so, sounds like a good tactical solution for now but there is still the issue of filling up /var quickly. Or does it use /media in some way? Have not tried it yet.

The homebrew community needs a long term solution and storing on default /var is not very strategic.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    ^Does it simply remove the limit and still install apps on default /var? If so, sounds like a good tactical solution for now but there is still the issue of filling up /var quickly. Or does it use /media in some way? Have not tried it yet.

The homebrew community needs a long term solution and storing on default /var is not very strategic.
    See RWHITBY's blog post at rwhitby.net : The Definitive Analysis of Palm Pre App Install Limits and the Palm App Catalog Hanging.

You are correct that this is a tactical solution.

I am expecting Palm to provide the strategic solution.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast