Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I have found an app that doesn't want to be linked... PDF View

The app never gets moved or linked. The script will handle this properly and keep it in the original location and not put it on /media.

This appears to confirm that linking the entire /var directory likely would not work. It is safer to move one app at a time.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Yeah, I installed this, moved a lot of apps over. I still can't install apps from the app catalog however.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    The script reports the size of the app directory after each move. I had to go below 25MB before I could install from the App Catalog. My /var had to be down to 40%. Either don't appear to be fixed conditions though - email storage appears to be a factor as well.

How far down did you get the app directory to, below 25MB?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I got it down to 24.9mb Just moved 1 more now and then I'll test. I started around 40mb.

I'm not a linux expert or anything. How can I tell how much in general I'm using in Var? Where is the email stored? I probably have a lot in email, I thought though that email was imap and was on the server. Not sure if I can delete it from my phone without deleting it from the server. I'll have to look at that closer.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Evernote works fine when moved and linked.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    In general this is my disk usage.

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 452296 400676 51620 89% /
    /dev/root 31728 11368 20360 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    452296 400676 51620 89% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    452296 400676 51620 89% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2048 152 1896 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 166576 87344 66% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    39664 8168 31496 21% /var/log
    tmpfs 65536 332 65204 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 122516 0 122516 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 166576 87344 66% /opt
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    7011456 3346720 3664736 48% /media/internal
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Your /var usage is rather high (in terms of Palm management of it). You might have to move quite a few more apps and maybe delete some email.

253920 166576 87344 66% /var
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
    Evernote works fine when moved and linked.
    I don't use Evernote... does it store virtually all data online? If so, it's not risky to move. If there is any local storage of user data, I wouldn't recommend moving it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    There is local storage, but it just syncs it with online anyway. I've moved it and it seems to work with no problems
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hrm... There should be something to keep people from messing up by typing just 'mvapp link'. It tried to move my entire apps directory and succeeded in moving a few files it shouldn't have.
    had to fix it by hand.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Hrm... There should be something to keep people from messing up by typing just 'mvapp link'. It tried to move my entire apps directory and succeeded in moving a few files it shouldn't have.
    had to fix it by hand.
    Done.

# 0.1.6 - fixed to show usage if no appname supplied to link/unlink (xorg)

Get latest here...
    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

Everyone should update the script to latest version.
    I moved 13 apps (if that isn't tempting fate I don't know what is). The biggest questionmark is the webinternals messaging app. It gave all sorts of error messages about being unable to assign user ownership after it moved the files. Had one other app, 15puzzle I think, that did the same thing. Don't seem to see problems yet, but the large number of error messages concerned me. All of the applications seem to run. Got down to about 8 mb. I had already deleted a number of apps earlier so I will reload some now. Biggest problem was that paste didn't seem to work for me on novaterm on windows. Created the file with notepad, copied it to the USB drive and converted the end of file characters to make it unix compatible to get things to work. Thanks a bunch for the workaround.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Yes, most webosinternal apps probably should not be moved. It should fail on the move and leave it alone if there are permission errors, leaving it intact on /var.

On the apps that showed errors, did it move it over or keep it on /var? It's supposed to keep it on /var. You can tell by doing a mvapp listmoved.
    Last edited by xorg; 10/08/2009 at 10:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    New update posted...

# 0.1.7 - added cleanexit (w/mount ro /)
    # - added exit code documentation for javascripts calling this (xorg)

I've added a clean exit function to do cleanup things such as putting / back to ro, which someone mentioned a few posts back.

I'm starting document exit codes for javascript calls to this script. Yes, something is in the works for a real webOS app!

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...allation_Limit
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoore1768 View Post
    Had one other app, 15puzzle I think, that did the same thing. Don't seem to see problems yet, but the large number of error messages concerned me.
    I'll capture the error messages and summarize that the script won't move the app. The script should actually handle it properly and keep the app on /var, but the error messages do show for now.

Where is '15puzzle'? Is that the name of the app? I couldn't find it on PreWare or the App Catalog. Would like to test it.
    XORG, the script worked great! Can't thank you enough.

One issue I had was that although I was < 25MB in the applications directory, I still could not download that new "Card Aces: Hold 'EM" in the apps catalog (> 5MB) app that I've wanted. I then remembered that there was that app limit that Palm put in, so I had to some additional linking (now < 10MB in app dir) to move many of the small apps to get below that app limit. It finally worked. Great script. I'm highly disappointed in Palm for not having the foresight to have a larger area to dump apps and put an SD slot in the Pre for the movies/pictures/music you may want...
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I have found an app that doesn't want to be linked... PDF View

The app never gets moved or linked. The script will handle this properly and keep it in the original location and not put it on /media.

This appears to confirm that linking the entire /var directory likely would not work. It is safer to move one app at a time.
    That was my experience as well. Haven't visited the WebOS Internals page on this in a while, and just saw your update asking to post information about APPS that wouldn't successfully move. I came here to post about this one, and saw you already had. To date, this is the only one I've had problems is with.
    had to fix it by hand.
    Don't know if this is doable with this type of script (as opposed to a binary executable), but what would really be nice is if you could use the standard <TAB> key to complete a file listing. EG
    Code:
    mvapp link com.palm.pan<TAB>
    and get
    Code:
    mvapp link com.palm.pandora
    (assuming Pandora was in the /var/usr/palm/applications )
    I've basically moved all apps that were > 512, except "password safe" type apps, webosinternal apps, and those that I know won't work (PDF Viewer is the only one so far).

This list has 180mb of files moved off the applications area, leaving only 7.4m! I don't have app storage problems on my Pre (but I still hope Palm fixes this soon...)

• com.accuweather.palm
    • com.asc.funfactsw
    • com.biocandy.prejeweled
    • com.bitsofgodsoftware.simplebible
    • com.bytesequencing.pre.balls
    • com.bytesequencing.pre.spades
    • com.cakefight.sudoku
    • com.deliciousmorsel.twee
    • com.engineequalscar.games.mines
    • com.fandango.app.fandango
    • com.flixster.app.movies
    • com.friendsflow.friendsflowbeta
    • com.fusioncreativestudios.deadman
    • com.jackintheboxsoftwareinc.app.mobios
    • com.landgrabgames.zilch.lite
    • com.longbeachit.gototoollite
    • com.mediafly.mediafly-pre
    • com.mrjspeed.toppleball
    • com.myappcatalog.cardmessagesbeta
    • com.myappcatalog.guitaristsreference
    • com.myappcatalog.superhangmanbeta
    • com.orbsix.app.magic8ball
    • com.palm.app.agenda
    • com.palm.pandora
    • com.palm.repomanager
    • com.quigley-jones.preopoly
    • com.sachersoft.wordwhirllite
    • com.splashdata.app.mcraig
    • com.stickywhipit.yatz
    • com.tj.solitaire
    • com.wikihow.wikihowapp
    • net.keenstudios.app.checkers
    • ws.junk.blocked
    • ws.junk.dotgame
    Last edited by hparsons; 10/09/2009 at 11:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Time to update again, more enhancements...

# 0.2.0 - will not move apps that would have permission issues
    # - will not move apps that have no json file
    # - improved error handling, improved listing shows actual app names

It won't attempt to move apps, such as PDF View that would have permission issues or webosinnternal type apps that have no json file. From what I can tell, this may address just about every issue of apps that would not work on /media FAT fs. The script should deal with these so that you don't need to know which apps are safe to move. I would still avoid apps that store important information for a while (password lockers, Agenda, etc).

The listing has also been improved... it shows the actual APP 'name' as well as the package.

Get it now while it's hot...
    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals