Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback Twosted and aroc. If you get a chance, try unlinking and relinking an app or two. Also try deleting an app that has been linked from the Pre Launcher, confirm that it is removed and that you can re-install from App Catalog or Homebrew installer. thx

Would like to hear from others who got the script working.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Jonathan I Ezor noticed I had a typo on the PreCentral version of the script..

The cat command should be...

cat >/usr/bin/mvapp

not..

cat >/usr/bin/mkapp

Was a recent typo, now fixed.
    can one of these threads be stickied?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    i don't think this approach will work..

I've resized my partitions so that I have a 1gb root parititon and a 500mb var partition.. and I'm *still* hitting the limit Take a look below.. I'm only using just over 40% of space in those partitions...

root@castle:/var/log# df -k
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 961944 390596 571348 41% /
    /dev/root 31728 11368 20360 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    961944 390596 571348 41% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    961944 390596 571348 41% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2048 152 1896 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    507848 103584 404264 20% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    39664 6000 33664 15% /var/log
    tmpfs 65536 300 65236 0% /tmp
    tmpfs 122516 0 122516 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    507848 103584 404264 20% /opt
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    6213764 55208 6158556 1% /media/internal

EDIT - actually, it worked! I used your script but changed it so that the destination was /var/alt-apps (plenty of space in /var..). Even though the app is on the same partition, it allowed the next app to install where it couldn't before..

So now I'm thinking maybe they're duing du equiv. and subtracting that from what they THINK the space is? (as opposed to checking the real space..)
    -mark
    Last edited by diomark; 10/07/2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Added new command...

# 0.1.4 - added listmoved function to show apps already moved (xorg)

Post 1 has been updated, but best to track future updates here...

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

After updating, please post the list of apps you've moved and if you have had any problems with any of them.

How many did you have to move before you could install from App Catalog again?

Please also try the unlink command to move an app or three back.
    Last edited by xorg; 10/07/2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have been using this lately with pretty good luck....All my apps seem to work fine that I have moved.

704 /media/internal/.apps/com.sachersoft.wordwhirllite
    1280 /media/internal/.apps/com.supergigamega.wabbithunt
    1600 /media/internal/.apps/com.findmycar.findmycar
    2048 /media/internal/.apps/com.longbeachit.gototoollite
    2144 /media/internal/.apps/com.sambao.app.stopwatchtimer
    2400 /media/internal/.apps/com.quigley-jones.preopoly
    2624 /media/internal/.apps/com.biocandy.prejeweled
    3008 /media/internal/.apps/com.mrjspeed.toppleball
    3456 /media/internal/.apps/com.gosyntactix.app.packntrack
    3680 /media/internal/.apps/com.palm.drnull.prepod
    4064 /media/internal/.apps/nl.i-marco.app.scientificcalculator
    4544 /media/internal/.apps/net.palmdoc.medipda
    5088 /media/internal/.apps/com.sachersoft.wordwhirl
    6720 /media/internal/.apps/com.accuweather.palm
    7008 /media/internal/.apps/com.palm.app.musicplayerremix
    7168 /media/internal/.apps/com.ea.connect4
    8352 /media/internal/.apps/com.apnews.webos
    8384 /media/internal/.apps/com.mediafly.mediafly-pre
    8512 /media/internal/.apps/com.myappcatalog.superhangmanbeta
    12288 /media/internal/.apps/com.ulocate.app.where
    21824 /media/internal/.apps/com.selfawaregames.cardace.holdem
    28384 /media/internal/.apps/com.wikihow.wikihowapp

So far so good...and I am ble to download apps fromt he app catalog...
    Last edited by navinag; 10/07/2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have noticed one thing...If you delete anp via orange + app...Then when you try and remove with mvapp...it barfs...Probably because it cant find it in var/usr/palm/apps......

Not a big deal...I just went a cleaned up afterwards by removing the backup and the version on media/internals.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Yes, that's the expected behavior for now. The 'mvapp clean' command is what deals with this for now. This would be automated when it makes into a webOS app.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Can you make sure that the current testers don't get hosed when the app is released....Meaning that the app is compatible with the current script? You might have an epiphany and rewrite the whole thing...That would mean that I will whave to use the current script to unlink and restore everything and then relink with your new app.....

just some feedback...good work though.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I'm planning to add a 'restoreall' command so that if you need to go back, you can with one shot in case some new method pops up.

The contingency is to otherwise do the 'clean' and reinstall an app if issues after a restore.

The safest route is to be selective about which apps you move over. I'm thinking about adding a warning about moving apps that store important data to you, such as password lockers, memo apps, etc. It's best to only move apps that present information, not store information, especially info that is important to you. Basically, if you wonder if it's OK to move an app that holds important information to you, you probably shouldn't. If it's a game or web-based info app, go for it. All of the apps you listed do not appear to store important information, so not a big risk if you have to reinstall any.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Looks like this is the official "how to fix this" thread.

I'd like to explore tlp's idea of using FUSE to solve this, but I don't have a spare phone to dork around with. I've read that the SDK has an emulator - would that give me enough access to play around with this?

If not, anyone dare try playing with a FUSE/EncFS workaround?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quick question......What is "FUSE/EncFS"? I must have missed that term somewhere along the way..
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Ugh... not enough posts in order to post links. Hit Wikipedia for "Filesystem in Userspace" and "EncFS".

It would, essentially, store the /var files on /media/internal in an encrypted form that would not be readable even if you low-level read the data off the device.

Call it a "win-win" for space constraints and concerns from developers about storing their files inside /media/internal.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If developers are concerned about exposed code, it's exposed anyway to anyone who gets linux access. There are many ways to obfuscate javascript code before they package it up, independent of whether it is on /var or /media.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmacke View Post
    Ugh... not enough posts in order to post links. Hit Wikipedia for "Filesystem in Userspace" and "EncFS".

It would, essentially, store the /var files on /media/internal in an encrypted form that would not be readable even if you low-level read the data off the device.

Call it a "win-win" for space constraints and concerns from developers about storing their files inside /media/internal.
    That's probably a good solution, but there are three issues:

1) /media/internal is unmounted when you media sync. Palm would need to change the USB driver to prevent this. (I don't know how the FUSE driver would like the partition up and disappearing on it.)
    2) We would need a way to prevent the user from deleting/corrupting the virtual partition.
    3) FAT32 sucks, so the virtual partition would be subject to all of its failings (no fragmentation prevent, weak error detection/prevention/recovery).
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    If developers are concerned about exposed code, it's exposed anyway to anyone who gets linux access. There are many ways to obfuscate javascript code before they package it up, independent of whether it is on /var or /media.
    Correct - it's trivial to get access to the stuff, even if using EncFS. Using EncFS is more of a salve for developers who fear storing the data on /media/internal would expose their code to everyone and their mother.

Small advice to developers: You're writing programs in interpreted code. Unless you take precautions ahead of time, people are going to be able to read it. Notice how little commercial software is available in javascript/python/php? Yeah, that's part of the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    That's probably a good solution, but there are three issues:

1) /media/internal is unmounted when you media sync. Palm would need to change the USB driver to prevent this. (I don't know how the FUSE driver would like the partition up and disappearing on it.)
    2) We would need a way to prevent the user from deleting/corrupting the virtual partition.
    3) FAT32 sucks, so the virtual partition would be subject to all of its failings (no fragmentation prevent, weak error detection/prevention/recovery).
    1. My understanding is that FUSE would error back to the program requesting the file that the file is not found.
    2. A user mucking with the files/directory in /media/internal is shooting themselves in the foot. Flipping bits in an encrypted file is the fastest way to make them unreadable. Palm should encourage users who fiddle with the encrypted files to take it back to the store and sign up with Jitterbug.
    3. Yes, that's the big harrowing question.... can apps get installed through FUSE and still work. I need to dig deeper into the internals to figure that out and... don't wanna brick my only Pre.

Actually, take that back, don't even want to get within 50 meters of bricking my only Pre.
    First, great work with the script.

Second, I noticed the script remounts / for "rw", but never undoes that change. (I guess rebooting will undo this?) Should the user be warned at the end of the script that the filesystem is still mounted for writing?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Looks like I need to learn Linux. I've only dabbled a little. I hope Palm gets smart and fixes the issue.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Updates to the script...

# 0.1.5 - added restoreall function, couple cleanup items (xorg)

Page has also been update with Precautions section.

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Okay, I answered my own question. I installed the SDK and am playing around with the emulator. It appears that it's an adequate substitute to tinkering with my physical pre... but is it normal for an experienced Linux user to be leveling profanities at the way the linux build is laid out on a pre?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast