Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Actually I did not see that. So it looks like there are issues with the loopback method. It appears to completely disable USB and media sync modes. Someone might have a solution by unmounting/remounting but it looks pretty risky. I'll dig in and see if there is something I can contribute.

If Palm would develop shared access to /media (simultaneous kernel and USB mode), it would solve not only this problem, but also likely allow phone calls to work while USB drive is mounted.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've added an option for tar-based backups in the script in post #1. This will restore file attributes incase you decide to move an app back to /var. It's cleaner way but takes up more space on /media for backups. You can turn off backups by setting the BACKUP variable to 0 in the script. It is turned on by default.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I've added an option for tar-based backups in the script in post #1. This will restore file attributes incase you decide to move an app back to /var. It's cleaner way but takes up more space on /media for backups. You can turn off backups by setting the BACKUP variable to 0 in the script. It is turned on by default.
    Excellent compromise...
    Awesome
    Vis
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Since a webOS developer hasn't shown interest yet in porting this to a webos app, I'm thinking of hosting this script so that it is easier to install/use for the average user. They would install Terminal app via PreWare, do a wget in Terminal, do the chmod and then be able to use the script. I might even make the script good old 70's style text menu driven.

Ideally this would be ported as an app, but given the desperation of many user out there, I may go for this. Thoughts or better ideas?
    xorg, as a smartphone power user but a complete noob to linux coding/scripting. A transfer files app for dummies would be TERRIFIC!
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Nice, so now how do I undo this: Alt optmedia - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Instead of using wget, I'll probably submit this to the PreWare repository as a "Linux app". Then the script can be directly installed from PreWare and used within the Terminal app.

I will first develop a more user friendly text based interface this week. Will also add a complete restore option, rather than per app. Then will submit to the PreWare repository.

Hopefully a webOS developer will step up and port in the meantime. This should become a real app, not be maintained as a script.
    Can somebody please teach me how to do it in step by step format and deeply explaining it because i tried it and it didn't do anything and i am an experienced developer at applying patches
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    A person without any homebrew apps would eventually reach the limit by leaving email on their device and installing app store apps.
    forgive me if this has been addressed, but stored email effects the memory limit for apps?
    Instead of using wget, I'll probably submit this to the PreWare repository as a "Linux app". Then the script can be directly installed from PreWare and used within the Terminal app.

I will first develop a more user friendly text based interface this week. Will also add a complete restore option, rather than per app. Then will submit to the PreWare repository.

Hopefully a webOS developer will step up and port in the meantime. This should become a real app, not be maintained as a script.
    given the fact that this method is still proof of concept, would it be smarter for me to wait for a more user-friendly release before doing this? possibly through preware or another similar app? I have the linux know how to do this using the method descriped in the first post, but If installing by this method may later lead to problems or if an easier version is days away, I could wait.

Thank you for everyones work on this script and method, this is a big problem and im surprised that Palm hasnt already done something about this ~_~

I'll work on it with you - PM me or email me.
    Let me know where you'd like to go with it.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    You guys are my heros. I hope you make this easy for me soon. I'm just too lazy to learn the ins and outs... but I'm happy that there are those who seize on it.

ROCK ON
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I've tried to follow but...can't! Is the goal to develop a tweak, patch or homebrew program that will allow us to download more apps from the App Catalog? Also, if you already have a homebrew app that graduates to the App Catalog; when the button says "update" does it stay in the same "place" that QuickInstall or Preware installs the program (that is, allowing you to have more apps) or will it be installed in the usual manner (ultimately hitting a limit?)

Thanks for all your work! I LOVE my Pre and homebrewers are a major part of it!!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    forgive me if this has been addressed, but stored email effects the memory limit for apps?
    I explored this issue back around WebOS 1.0 or 1.1 and the answer bacl then was yes. There were email files being stored locally on the device in /var and /var is the filesystem that needs to satisfy a percentage free threshold/percentage before the app catalog will store apps. This is the predominant working Linux filesystem on the device and the Palm app installation process ensures that plenty of free space remains on the device for other purpose. (In other words, they want the phone and the primary apps to have the room they need to function. At one point, I seriously filled this filesystem up with homebrew and other stuff to the point that homebrew apps via preware were failing to install due to filling up the filesystem - The Pre got very slow/sluggish when this happened. Preware does not do free space checks which is the reason you can install homebrew apps when App catalog apps will not install. The reason for the app catalog space checking is clearly to keep the phone functioning as a phone/PDA even if this means less apps being allowed. Palm clearly has to know that they need to come up with better space management tools/algorithms (probably within the WebOS 2.0 timeframe). The ideas behind the proposal in this thread is to use the /media/internal (DOS filesystem) instead of the /var (Unix filesystem) for the bulk of homebrew. This gets us "out of Palm's face" long enough for them to deal with the longer-term space management issues in their own time. Part of the longer term solution might be to have ways to archive older email onto cloud folders, etc., but yes, the brief answer to your question is that email is stored on the device and competes with the space available for apps.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    I've tried to follow but...can't! Is the goal to develop a tweak, patch or homebrew program that will allow us to download more apps from the App Catalog? Also, if you already have a homebrew app that graduates to the App Catalog; when the button says "update" does it stay in the same "place" that QuickInstall or Preware installs the program (that is, allowing you to have more apps) or will it be installed in the usual manner (ultimately hitting a limit?)

Thanks for all your work! I LOVE my Pre and homebrewers are a major part of it!!
    I haven't been following the work they are doing in this thread in detail, but the general idea is to come up with a way that homebrew apps will use space on the "mass storage device" where your photos, etc are stored. (I hopefully described the details of the problem adequately in the preceding post.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^yea, that's the gist of it.

Before I (and others) put a great deal of extra effort taking this to the next step, would like to hear from those who have successfully used this and if you noticed any issues. Would like to get it worked out before it gets ported to a real app.

Please post your experiences, good or bad. How many apps did you move? Did you find an app that won't work linked? Did you move any back? How far down did you have to get /var.../applications down in MB before you could start adding apps from the App Catalog?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, i installed it and it works great. I took it all the way down to 15.5. I moved 10 apps. I tried at first with only 24 free, but i couldn't install any apps. I didn't move any back, and the ones I moved appear to work just fine. I used the script posted on the Wiki page. The bulk move worked great also.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I used the bulk move to move almost all the apps to /media/internal/.apps. So far everything is fine; with the caveat that i haven't tested all the programs. The ones I regularly use are working fine.
    I wonder why Palm didn't create another logical volume (for example /dev/store/apps) and have that mounted as /var/usr/palm/applications ?

That way they could resize it independently of the rest of /var where the data for these applications is located.
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast