Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Damn, you have more apps loaded than I do and I only have many for the purpose of testing mvapp. Something is odd about having over 100 apps still on /var that only use 7MB. Are those mostly patches? I wonder if there is a fixed limit to NUMBER of apps and you are the first to hit it?

Otherwise, it could possibly be Fair Dinkum patch from PreWare. Not sure but some said it conflicts. A new version of PreWare is coming that allows you to turn off Fair Dinkum.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    After the webOS 1.3.1 update, all apps and email moved and linked via mvapp WORK FINE. As expected, the update did not disrupt any of the links.

There is no need to do anything to prepare for the 1.3.1 update. You do not need to restore any apps or email before the update.
    thanks xorg
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^Damn, you have more apps loaded than I do and I only have many for the purpose of testing mvapp. Something is odd about having over 100 apps still on /var that only use 7MB. Are those mostly patches? I wonder if there is a fixed limit to NUMBER of apps and you are the first to hit it?

Otherwise, it could possibly be Fair Dinkum patch from PreWare. Not sure but some said it conflicts. A new version of PreWare is coming that allows you to turn off Fair Dinkum.
    Yes there are quite a few patches but many apps dl'd while free. Even when I deleted many, I still couldn't add though.

Any suggestions on what to do?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm working on the next version of mvapp. For those interested in testing, you can easily install by typing 'mvapp dev'. This command will download and install the test version as 'ma' command. Use 'ma' for test version and 'mvapp' for the last release version.

This thread is a 'development' thread so please talk only about test versions in this thread. The other thread is the 'release' thread for end users.

New in 0.3.5a...
    - 'ma checklinks' or 'ma cl' looks for any abandoned apps in media that no longer have links. This can occur when removing an app from Launcher. It can clean the app out, which is recommended.

- 'ma doctor' or 'ma d' or 'ma diag'. I'm now calling this 'diag' rather than doctor since doctor is used all over the place, though 'doctor' command will still work. It now checks for ipkg lists that could be too large for themes.

- 'ma link' now can optionally install apps with no json file. Not recommended but it's now an option.

- more robust clarification with some messages.

Run 'mvapp dev' to install this version. It is not yet available on PreWare.

mvapp started out as just a proof of concept and it has now grown to 1000 lines of code.

Code changes can be seen here...
    http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...b6fbb869d48eed
    Last edited by xorg; 11/16/2009 at 12:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Would be great if someone could test the 'checklinks' (cl) command in 0.3.5a. Am curious if many abandoned apps show up.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Would be great if someone could test the 'checklinks' (cl) command in 0.3.5a. Am curious if many abandoned apps show up.

mvapp version: 0.3.5a
    Checking abandoned links...

Missing link for...
    com.d0lph1nk1ng.h.dkstocks
    on media. Probably leftovers from
    deleted app. Recommend removing.

Would you like
    to remove the app? [y/N]: y

Missing link for...
    com.mediafly.mediafly-pre

Would you like

Missing link for...
    com.palm.natebiz.gdial-pro

Would you like

Missing link for...
    com.shanerooni.quickmazes

Would you like
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Thanks for testing. So do you recall if removed those from PreWare or Launcher or elsewhere?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Thanks for testing. So do you recall if removed those from PreWare or Launcher or elsewhere?
    I usually only delete from the launcher via orange key + click
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Want to give a big thanks to all who created the mvapp!
    Hadn't tried it before (was using FairDinkum). Ran into the app limit again a week ago and after 1.31 'Dinkum wasn't around anymore and even after removing over 10 meg of apps, I still couldn't install anything.
    Looked close at this post and read thru the wiki.
    Installed with no effort or problems!
    Ran doctor and found I had over 30 megs of email stuff and was using over 130 megs on the var.
    Moved the email & attachments and about 26 apps.
    Here's my current report:

Gathering /var report, hold please...
    var used: 61MB 25%
    var available: 187MB
    app used: 31MB on /var
    # total apps: 188
    # var apps: 161
    # media apps: 27
    email used: 59MB on /media
    attach used: 4MB on /media
    var tmp used: 0MB

Recommendations...

- Keep "var used" well below 100MB.

- Consider moving apps: mvapp bulkmv

This report is available on media
    drive as... varreport.rtf

Thanks for solving the insoluble!
    (and yes, I am a HomeBrew and Patch wh*re)
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Test version updated, mvapp 0.3.5d. This is not yet available on PreWare.

To install for those who'd like to test...
    mvapp dev

Test versions use 'ma' command rather than 'mvapp'.

New in 0.3.5d:
    - mvapp checklinks (cl) - checks if apps in media have links, if not, should remove them
    - mvapp checkfd - check if Fair Dinkum is installed/enabled
    - mvapp upw - update PreWare
    - mvapp upt - update Terminal App (shouldn't do with app running)
    - mvapp diag - the doctor has been renamed to 'diag' to avoid confusion
    - changed diag to recommend 'var used' below 125MB rather than 100MB

Am thinking about linking /var/usr/lib/ipkg, which is the PreWare package listings. This (in addition to the app links) would allow to have backups of all PreWare apps to media for restore if doing a webOS doctor. It would also avoid issues if themes files get too large on var. I've been running the link for several days and all OK. Will ping Rod about it.
    Last edited by xorg; 11/21/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    thanks org for mvapp. I was able to move applications to make room to install more apps from the official catalog. I deleted some old homebrew or official app catalog apps (not really sure) but I have the following problem:
    when i run the mvapp search command i have a number of files that are listed like this:
    PDF View
    com.citysearch.mobile
    I try to press c for clean and it tells me link does not exist. Is there a way to delete these?
    Also i have some files that can't be deleted cause it says it had no json file?
    Is that addressed in your latest 0.3.5d version?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    PDF View should not be allowed to move. You should also not try to 'clean' or delete apps unless you delete them first from the Launcher. Links don't exist for apps that were not moved.
    I agree with you, however those apps have already been deleted using the orange button delete. I have four or five different applications that show up. Each under the title of PDF View. It says the link does not exist when i try to clean it. I guess i won't really worry about it because the programs are already deleted. Was just trying to clean up and stray links or orphan files out there. Maybe I will try your checklinks command to see if that works. If install the mvapp dev to use the checklinks, how do i delete it when version .3.5 finally hits preware?
    Thanks for your help in advance
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    The clean function only works with apps that have been moved. The Pre Launcher doesn't always completely remove the entire app folder when deleting (for apps that have not been moved). Best to just leave them. mvapp will only clean apps that have been moved/linked to media.

As far as the dev version, it will stay installed until loading the next version. I may add a way to remove 'ma' from 'mvapp' in a future version, but it is a relatively small file.

Go ahead a give the dev 'ma' version a shot with checklinks.
    Question for xorg...

From what I've read about 1.3.5, when the Pre is connected to USB, the folder under /media that will contain apps will be encrypted to keep people from being able to copy apps off.

With that in mind, if you are then able to use mvapp to move email storage to that /media subfolder, that data would also be encrypted when connected via USB.

This is of interest to me (and others here on the forums) because my job will soon require me to use an encrypted device. Until the Pre or WebOS has a more native solution, this seems like it could be an effective work around.

What do you think?

Thanks.
    Ok. Sounds like we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I had a thought, and I didn't see it discussed (though I admit I "skimmed" most of the 20 pages...)

pvcreate can create a physical volume on a loopback file. So why don't we toast the entire /dev/mapper/store-media physical volume, resize store-root and store-var to something more sensible (ie store-root == 700MB and store-var == 7GB). Then create a new physical volume for store-media on a file stored on /var. Then with tools like 'dd' and 'lvresize' you can resize the store-media physical volume (loosing all data every time) with out harming the rest of your system. I would think that the USB drive mode would continue to work, but now /var (and ext3) is in control.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I recently am unable to install any more apps from the Palm catalog, I kept getting 'Download again for free' instead the apps actually installing. I noticed that if I turn off the 'partial app limit fix' option in Preware, I would get the 'app storage is full' message instead.

So I used mvapp to move all my big apps over.

Now this is my output from mvapp doctor on 0.3.8

So now I have 218mb available but I still can't install any apps...

What am I missing here?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    You likely need to also turn on 'partial app limit fix' in PreWare Preferences.

BTW, new mvapp has been released. See the install/support thread link below.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920