Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
    Thanks to the creator of this workaround. My Fair dinkum fix stopped working and I was able to move a lot of stuff to make room for new downloads and no longer am getting the "sorry not enough memory" error. So prior to the next webos update, if I "restore all" back to the default locations and I don't have enough room, will I get an error message telling me how much stuff needs to be deleted? The instructions here said i may have to delete some/many apps to restore all, but how would you know how much stuff to delete? Thanks a lot.

Darren
    Just making sure, but prior to upgrading the OS when the next release comes out, I will need to run the terminal and "restore all" back to original locations along with removing themes and patches...correct?
    Hmm, the new search function doesn't seem to work correctly for me. I had both the Bible Reader Lite and SimpleBible installed and decided to get rid of the SimpleBible. I first removed it from launcher with orange key+d. Then I ran mvapp search bible and it only returned the BibleReaderLite. I then did mvapp listmoved and SimpleBible showed up in that list still. So, I had to manually type mvapp clean com.incrediblylongdomain.simplebible in order to get rid of it. Was I doing anything wrong?
    Thanks,
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Answer in the 'user' thread.

So I'm thinking of adding system level features to 'mvapp', which btw clearly needs to be renamed by now. Am thinking of 'xt' for 'xorg tools' or 'wot' for 'webos tools' but am open to other suggestions.

Am thinking of adding a function that allows you to reboot the phone every night (like 3AM) so that you wake up to a freshly awoken Pre that got a good nights rest, got a shower and is ready to serve its master. Would clean out any nasties for those of us testing beta stuff. Anyone see a value in this? I have it running now (a cron job to reboot at 3am). Would you like the script to set this up for you?

What other system level features would you like to see?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^Answer in the 'user' thread.

So I'm thinking of adding system level features to 'mvapp', which btw clearly needs to be renamed by now. Am thinking of 'xt' for 'xorg tools' or 'wot' for 'webos tools' but am open to other suggestions.

Am thinking of adding a function that allows you to reboot the phone every night (like 3AM) so that you wake up to a freshly awoken Pre that got a good nights rest, got a shower and is ready to serve its master. Would clean out any nasties for those of us testing beta stuff. Anyone see a value in this? I have it running now (a cron job to reboot at 3am). Would you like the script to set this up for you?

What other system level features would you like to see?
    What nasties are you referring to...?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Some had issues with 'switcharoo' memory leaks for example.
    A nightly reboot is not a bad idea.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    xorg...It does not make sense to me why people think you have to restore their apps from /media to /var before updating....

IMO, you should only have to restore any apps that are native to WEBOS....in that case you should have never moved them in the first place...

I am pretty sure that the update will not mess with existing downloaded apps..but I could be wrong.....Someone with a but more knowledge on the subject could possibly expand more on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    xorg...It does not make sense to me why people think you have to restore their apps from /media to /var before updating....

IMO, you should only have to restore any apps that are native to WEBOS....in that case you should have never moved them in the first place...

I am pretty sure that the update will not mess with existing downloaded apps..but I could be wrong.....Someone with a but more knowledge on the subject could possibly expand more on this.
    Agreed.

I would not have agreed to packaging MvApp in Preware if you had to move stuff back before each update - having to do that for Patches is tough enough as it is

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I used this to move my email and attachments to the media partition.. freed up 50MB.. love it..
    Will I need to move it back to do the 1.3.1 update or can it stay that way?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts

It's really just an overly cautious message to users before using mvapp. We don't know what Palm will do in future releases as they could break the symlinks. It doesn't look like 1.3 will break the links.

Worst case scenario is that we may have to move key apps back to /var before another future webos update, but it's not the likely scenario. If Palm does make some kind of significant change, I'll likely be able to move linked apps to whatever new method Palm comes up with. The risk is low, but I wanted to set expectations for worst case scenario before anyone decides to use mvapp. Or accept that they may have to reinstall apps.

For Palm to fix the storage limitations, it will likely be a significant architectural change, which we may not see until webOS 2.0 if even then. The risk is low that they'll break the link method.

What I can do to mitigate the risk is add a function to move all apps to some other user defined directory. If Palm changes the location, end users could then simply move the linked apps to whatever new location Palm might decide on.

Am I still being overly cautious?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    In case where Palm breaks the links....I will change luna.conf to point to the /media/internals/.apps..........

Any thoughts on negative side affects?

A sym link would not longer be needed.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I've tried that. Problem with changing luna.conf path is that some apps reference /var. I've had this issue with the mafia/vampire/dq series. They don't load the graphics. Using the link from /var, they think they are still located there, so the graphics load fine.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    ^I've tried that. Problem with changing luna.conf path is that some apps reference /var. I've had this issue with the mafia/vampire/dq series. They don't load the graphics. Using the link from /var, they think they are still located there, so the graphics load fine.
    Good to know...
    In case where Palm breaks the links....I will change luna.conf to point to the /media/internals/.apps..........

Any thoughts on negative side affects?

A sym link would not longer be needed.
    Modifying Palm files brings a risk of invoking the continuous webOS update issue ...

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    After running mvapp in terminal per the instructions on the Wiki page, I got the values below the desired levels.

Now I still cannot download new apps or update existing ones...still says not enough room or delete an application, etc.

What did I do wrong?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Could you paste or summarize what 'mvapp doctor' outputs?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Modifying Palm files brings a risk of invoking the continuous webOS update issue ...

-- Rod
    Isn't that what patches do? "modifying Palm files..."
    Isn't that what patches do? "modifying Palm files..."
    Yes. If someone knew exactly what algorithm Palm uses to determine whether the webOS installation is broken and needs to be repaired by re-downloading the webOS OTA update again, then we would be in a much better position to talk absolutes.

Until we get that information, then anything is suspect. However, we have a fair bit of empirical evidence that patching Palm webOS applications is not causing problems. We have no body of evidence either way for modifying other operating system files. It's very likely that it will have no effect at all, but that's what the MyTether author seems to have thought when he ignored my advice to use ipkg -o /var to safely install services ...

The symlink method that MvApp uses is invisible to applications that do normal file reads from the Linux filesystem, so we expect it is the safest way to handle it. We could easily be wrong, and editing luna.conf might be better. However, you then need to consider the case where an OTA webOS update overwrites luna.conf, and then suddenly you have thousands of people no longer able to access the App Catalog applications that they have bought - not a pretty thing to get yourself into as a developer

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/13/2009 at 04:18 PM.
    ^Could you paste or summarize what 'mvapp doctor' outputs?
    Here is the initial one:

Here is the one after doing bulk move and moving email: