Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Works great. I have noticed that my phone runs a lot snappier...seem like Emails bogs down the Pre quite a bit. I try to keep my messaging and inbox pretty clean. I archive via Gmail(online) what I don't want to see anymore on my Pre. I have been using this program since the first day it was released for testing and I have not had a single issue with it. It just keeps getting better.
    thanks for sharing this. as long as there are no problems reported, I suggest including these adjustments in the next WebOs update (please, Palm!). Everyone deserves improved phone performance. 1.2.1 is great...1.3 will be better!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by discolightning View Post
    thanks for sharing this. as long as there are no problems reported, I suggest including these adjustments in the next WebOs update (please, Palm!). Everyone deserves improved phone performance. 1.2.1 is great...1.3 will be better!
    I doubt we will see anything like application moving, or email moving from one partition to another. I'm sure they will put some sort of fix in the system, just what however is yet to be seen.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Will be curious to see what Palm does. If they resize any partitions, they'll likely require backing up the /media partition to computer, which is a lot to ask of users and computer dependency is something they want to avoid. I'd like to see them virtualize /media mounting so that both the kernel and USB can mount /media simultaneously, similar to network mounting. They could then have a virtual file that can grow dynamically as linux fs on top of /media for apps/data. No need to reformat /media and it would also likely allow phone calls while in USB mode. Yo Palm ya listening?

If they simply grow /var a bit and keep data there, the mvapp tool may still have its place. If the case, this script will be adapted into a service so that PreWare and other homebrew installers can use it. Just waiting to see what Palm does with next release.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I just used mvapp 0.2.6g to move my email and everything appears fine. I've moved everything except webosinternal programs and patch files (not the pdf reader) and have had zero problems.

here is what mv doctor reports;

mvapp version: 0.2.6g

/var report...
    var used: 79MB 32%
    var avail: 169MB
    app used: 5MB on /var
    email used: 4MB on /media
    attach used: 14MB on /media
    var tmp used: 0MB
    opt used: 42MB

Recommendations...

This report is available on media
    drive as... varreport.txt

I only wish I knew what I could delete in /opt. I've already deleted quilt, but i had the quilt light programs and support files. I know its no that large, but in this pre it does seem like every little bit helps! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    I only wish I knew what I could delete in /opt. I've already deleted quilt, but i had the quilt light programs and support files. I know its no that large, but in this pre it does seem like every little bit helps! Thanks.
    Tell us what you think you are actively using from Optware, and give us the output from

ipkg-opt list_installed

and we can tell you what can be safely removed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I only want to be able to install stuff via preware, patches, programs, etc. I want to be able to SSH In, and SCP in. I am curious what I can remove...

Here is what I have installed via ipkg-opt
    ipkg-opt list_installed
    bash - 3.2.49-1 - A bourne style shell
    coreutils - 7.4-1 -
    diffutils - 2.8.1-6 - contains gnu diff, cmp, sdiff and diff3 to display differences between and among text files
    dropbear - 0.52-5 - Lightweight SSH client and server system
    expat - 2.0.1-1 - XML Parser library
    ez-ipupdate - 3.0.11b7-1 - A small utility for updating your host name for several dynamic DNS services.
    getopt - 2.15-2 - The getopt utility from the util-linux-ng package.
    git - 1.6.4.2-1 -
    libcurl - 7.19.5-1 -
    ncurses - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries
    openssh - 5.2p1-2 - a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssh-sftp-server - 5.2p1-2 - sftp-server only from a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssl - 0.9.8k-1 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    org.webosinternals.commander - 0.3 -
    org.webosinternals.services - 0.4 -
    patch - 2.5.9-3 - applies a diff to produce a patched file
    psmisc - 21.4-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
    quilt-lite - 0.48-5 - A set of scripts to manage a series of patches.
    rcs - 5.7-2 - The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple revisions of files.
    readline - 6.0-1 - The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    sudo - 1.7.2-1 - System utility to execute commands as the superuser
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.
    What do I need, and what can I take an axe to?
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I only want to be able to install stuff via preware, patches, programs, etc. I want to be able to SSH In, and SCP in. I am curious what I can remove...

Here is what I have installed via ipkg-opt

What do I need, and what can I take an axe to?
    Remove these immediately, they are a security vulnerability and were withdrawn from circulation months ago:

org.webosinternals.commander - 0.3 -
    org.webosinternals.services - 0.4 -

There is lots of stuff in there you can remove. I would suggest you wipe /opt completely, and start from scratch again.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Tell us what you think you are actively using from Optware, and give us the output from

ipkg-opt list_installed

and we can tell you what can be safely removed.

-- Rod
    Well, I certainly don't want to deviate from the op mvapp prog, but this is list:

bash - 3.2.49-1 - A bourne style shell
    bzip2 - 1.0.5-1 - Very high-quality data compression program
    coreutils - 7.4-1 - Bunch of heavyweight *nix core utilities
    cyrus-sasl-libs - 2.1.22-2 - Provides client or server side authentication (see RFC 2222).
    diffutils - 2.8.1-6 - contains gnu diff, cmp, sdiff and diff3 to display differences between and among text files
    dropbear - 0.52-5 - Lightweight SSH client and server system
    expat - 2.0.1-1 - XML Parser library
    ez-ipupdate - 3.0.11b7-1 - A small utility for updating your host name for several dynamic DNS services.
    gdbm - 1.8.3-2 - GNU dbm is a set of database routines that use extensible hashing. It works similar to the standard UNIX dbm routines.
    getopt - 2.15-2 - The getopt utility from the util-linux-ng package.
    git - 1.6.4.1-1 - GIT is a directory tree content manager that can be used for distributed revision control.
    libcurl - 7.19.5-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
    libdb - 4.2.52-3 - Berkeley DB Libraries
    libstdc++ - 6.0.9-6 - Standard C++ library, needed for dynamically linked C++ programs
    libxml2 - 2.7.3-1 - Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed for the Gnome project.
    libxslt - 1.1.24-1 - An XML Stylesheet processor based on libxml2
    lighttpd - 1.4.23-1 - A fast webserver with minimal memory footprint.
    ncurses - 5.7-1 - NCurses libraries
    openldap-libs - 2.3.43-1 - Open Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    openssh-sftp-server - 5.2p1-2 - sftp-server only from a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network connectivity tools.
    openssl - 0.9.8k-1 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    patch - 2.5.9-3 - applies a diff to produce a patched file
    pcre - 7.9-1 - Perl-compatible regular expression library
    php - 5.2.10-3 - The php scripting language
    php-fcgi - 5.2.10-3 - The php scripting language, built as an fcgi module
    psmisc - 21.4-1 - A set of some small useful utilities that use the proc filesystem.
    rcs - 5.7-2 - The Revision Control System (RCS) manages multiple revisions of files.
    readline - 6.0-1 - The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    spawn-fcgi - 1.6.2-1 - spawn-fcgi is used to spawn fastcgi applications
    sudo - 1.7.0-1 -
    zlib - 1.2.3-3 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.

I have ez-ipupdater for dyndns.org and lighttpd to work with a gps tracking script (How to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!), plus whatever library's they require. The only other thing that I need to be able to do is ssh and sftp into the pre. I don't need to manually apply patches or manually install any programs (thanks Preware and WebOSQI).

I'm sure that with mvapp and Fair Dinkum, I won't ever need to recover all the /opt space. But I'm sure there are things that I don't need.

Sorry if this distracts from op original post.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    No problem... /opt usage is now in scope as it takes up /var space and this script is essentially becoming a /var space manager. I've already added that if /var >100MB and /opt is >10MB, it will suggest removing some optware packages. I suppose I could add some suggestions of which can be removed, but that could get rather involved. Maybe there should be a webosinternals page on this topic and the script launches that page if suggesting to remove some optware packages.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    You guys have both dropbear and openssh installed. You only need one and I think dropbear is smaller. You don't need either if accessing Linux via Novacom/putty. I wouldn't worry about removing optware unless your /var usage is over 90MB even after moving apps/email.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    thanks for the suggestion. I'm not a linux expert by any means; I know just enough to not screw up too much! Everything is working well right and I'm not short of /var space. I'll remove openssh and see what it saves.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Here is an observation. Perhaps someone can tell my why these numbers do not add up.
    ==================================================================

My usage does not seem to add up
    here are the results.

==================================================
    mvapp version: 0.2.6g

/var report...
    var used: 89MB 36%
    var avail: 159MB
    app used: 6MB on /var
    email used: 49MB on /media
    attach used: 2MB on /media
    var tmp used: 0MB
    opt used: 48MB

according to mvapp I am using 89mb on var
    So i add up all the related values... 6+ 48 = 54 not 89
    Where is the missing 35mb not report by mvapp?

=================================================================

Another approach:
    looking at

/var:du -s * | sort -n
    0 cro
    0 ****
    0 javadumps
    0 javaoom
    0 kernelpanics
    0 minicores
    0 misc
    0 tmp
    0 touchpaneldump
    4 backups
    4 corefiles
    4 downloads
    4 gadget
    4 local
    4 spool
    8 pubsub
    8 state
    12 cache
    12 lock
    16 lost+found
    24 context
    28 ssl
    52 etc
    60 home
    88 run
    136 preferences
    732 telenav
    860 lib
    2464 palm
    3220 log
    9744 luna
    10868 usr
    49348 opt

adding up these numbers gets me ====> I get approx 77mb

Seems like 12mb in lilmbo somewhere with this method

yet another option:

'df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 441.7M 384.6M 57.1M 87% /
    /dev/root 31.0M 11.1M 19.9M 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 384.6M 57.1M 87% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    441.7M 384.6M 57.1M 87% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2.0M 152.0k 1.9M 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 88.9M 159.1M 36% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    38.7M 7.2M 31.6M 18% /var/log
    tmpfs 64.0M 3.3M 60.7M 5% /tmp
    tmpfs 119.6M 0 119.6M 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    6.7G 4.5G 2.2G 67% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    248.0M 88.9M 159.1M 36% /opt

This method matches what mvapp reports

Based on the information above in the different reporting methods...why do the number not add for /var ?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    So i add up all the related values... 6+ 48 = 54 not 89
    Because the script only checks known problem/storage hog areas, not all var directories. There is of course a lot of other var directories taking up the (89-54) space.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Because the script only checks known problem/storage hog areas, not all var directories. There is of course a lot of other var directories taking up the (89-54) space.
    So what about the du -s * option....?

Is the missing 12 mb overhead for file allocation?

it says 77 and df -h indicates i am using 89?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Not sure but it could be that du estimates based on actual file size and df reports by block clusters used. See a couple pages back about block/cluster size vs. file size.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Not sure but it could be that du estimates based on actual file size and df reports by block clusters used. See a couple pages back about block/cluster size vs. file size.
    I recall reading that.... I thought that was related to FAT32
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    I recall reading that.... I thought that was related to FAT32
    All operating systems work with blocks from what I understand. (I could EASILY be wrong here)

If you have a 32k block size, but files that only take 2 k, they use up a whole block even if they don't need it. If you have a file that takes up 40k it will use 2 blocks. 2 blocks represent 64k but only 40k for the actual file size.

I don't know that is what is going on here, it's just a thought of what it could be.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Here is potentially the final version before posting on PreWare repository this weekend.

v0.2.6h
    - added size of "apps on /media" in var report (takes longer, is it worth it?)
    - state that apps/attachments are moving in link/unlink email
    - changed conditions/thresholds for recommendations

Please test by pasting the the below at Linux prompt to install test version. Use 'ma' as the command instead of 'mvapp'.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / 
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/mvapp/blobs/raw/master/mvapp
    chmod 755 mvapp
    mv mvapp /usr/local/bin/ma  #or name to whatever you'd like, using ma as shortcut
    ma
    You can view the code changes here...
    Commit in mvapp in WebOS Internals - Gitorious
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Here is potentially the final version before posting on PreWare repository this weekend.

v0.2.6h
    - added size of "apps on /media" in var report (takes longer, is it worth it?)
    - state that apps/attachments are moving in link/unlink email
    - changed conditions/thresholds for recommendations

Please test by pasting the the below at Linux prompt to install test version. Use 'ma' as the command instead of 'mvapp'.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / 
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/mvapp/blobs/raw/master/mvapp
    chmod 755 mvapp
    mv mvapp /usr/local/bin/ma  #or name to whatever you'd like, using ma as shortcut
    ma
    You can view the code changes here...
    Commit in mvapp in WebOS Internals - Gitorious
    Perhaps you can add the check to report /media space as an option....like "mvapp d media" or mvapp d m"

I have testes the script and seem to work...But I might not want to wait that long evertime I download a new app from preware of the app catalog to determine if i want to move it.