Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 400
  1. SirWill's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    This is a great idea, but I must be doing something wrong, since it's not working for me.

    I just installed 0.2.5 and used the immensely useful "mvapp bulkmv" command and moved a bunch of apps. so that my usage went from 90% to 81%. I then tried installing something from the app. catalog and no luck. I restarted the phone and still no luck. Is 81% still not enough? The official patch page does not make any reference to what the highest usage % should be for the App Catalog to allow you to install new apps.
    It talks about this in the Fair Dinkum app page for webos-internals. I believe it's 60 some %. Actually it's 100mb free. And that is only if you have the Fair Dinkum app installed. Before that app it's also dependent on having less than 64mb in apps installed.

    here is the application thread... it can be installed through Preware.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  2. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #242  
    Yes, you need to keep moving apps until well below 100MB used for /var. If you don't have Fair Dinkum installed, keep moving apps until /var.../applications is using well below 64MB.
  3. #243  
    Such a great app! I moved my app "Simple Bible" yesterday from \var \to \media\ yesterday, and it could be listed by <mvapp listmoved>. Later, I deleted this app through Launcher and tried <mvapp clean> its directory in \media\, but it always prompted the directory not existing. If I <mvapp listmoved>, that directory still show up. Did I do anything wrong? and how to completely delete the directory of the app that has been deleted? Thanks.
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    It talks about this in the Fair Dinkum app page for webos-internals. I believe it's 60 some %. Actually it's 100mb free. And that is only if you have the Fair Dinkum app installed. Before that app it's also dependent on having less than 64mb in apps installed.

    here is the application thread... it can be installed through Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Yes, you need to keep moving apps until well below 100MB used for /var. If you don't have Fair Dinkum installed, keep moving apps until /var.../applications is using well below 64MB.
    Thanks, guys, but how is this even possible? I moved a bunch of large apps, but still my available is 52MB. How could I even clear another 50MB when my largest remaining app. (mvapp list) is 2.7MB and a quick mental sum of all the unlinked apps. doesn't even reach 10MB?



  5. SirWill's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Thanks, guys, but how is this even possible? I moved a bunch of large apps, but still my available is 52MB. How could I even clear another 50MB when my largest remaining app. (mvapp list) is 2.7MB and a quick mental sum of all the unlinked apps. doesn't even reach 10MB?
    The culprit is probably Email. In that thread there are discussions about how to clean up email, and also how to see exactly what is specifically using up your space.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  6. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazone2009 View Post
    Such a great app! I moved my app "Simple Bible" yesterday from \var \to \media\ yesterday, and it could be listed by <mvapp listmoved>. Later, I deleted this app through Launcher and tried <mvapp clean> its directory in \media\, but it always prompted the directory not existing. If I <mvapp listmoved>, that directory still show up. Did I do anything wrong? and how to completely delete the directory of the app that has been deleted? Thanks.
    Try 'mvapp unlink appname' and then do a 'mvapp clean'.

    If neither work, you'll have to do..
    cd /internal/media/.apps
    rm -r com.appname

    I'll check into it.
  7. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Thanks, guys, but how is this even possible? I moved a bunch of large apps, but still my available is 52MB. How could I even clear another 50MB when my largest remaining app. (mvapp list) is 2.7MB and a quick mental sum of all the unlinked apps. doesn't even reach 10MB?
    try this command..
    ls /var/lib/software/tmp

    If there are a lot of packages listed, your Pre might be trying to do another 1.2.1 update. If so, run Update and it will clear a big chunk of /var usage.

    You could also try reducing your email sync down to 1 or 3 days in Preferences.
  8. #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    The culprit is probably Email. In that thread there are discussions about how to clean up email, and also how to see exactly what is specifically using up your space.
    Thanks again. I read through the thread and found 2 main approaches related to cleaning up e-mail. One is to reduce the number of days synced. Mine is 7 for all accounts. The problem could be that I have 9 accounts configured, 7 of which are IMAP (the reasons for this are besides the point here) and I do get a lot of e-mails on a couple of those. The other approach is to delete all accounts, clear some folder and recreate them. As you can imagine, doing this for 9 accounts is no easy task. If I knew for a fact that would solve my problem, I'd do it, but I'm not even sure. Plus what about when my storage gets filled again? Maybe I gotta live with the space limitation, but hopefully, I find another solution.

    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    try this command..
    ls /var/lib/software/tmp

    If there are a lot of packages listed, your Pre might be trying to do another 1.2.1 update. If so, run Update and it will clear a big chunk of /var usage.

    You could also try reducing your email sync down to 1 or 3 days in Preferences.
    Thank you again as well. Re: e-mail, please read my response to SirWill.

    This is what I have in my /var/lib/software/tmp folder:

    conffiles
    md5ums
    postinst
    postrm
    preinst
    prerm


    Is this normal/expected?
  9. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #249  
    ^Yes, the tmp directory is normal. It is likely email filling up /var. Did you install a lot of optware packages? Some are pretty big.

    I think in the next version I'll add a 'var doctor' type of command that checks what areas are the biggest storage hogs, with suggestions.
  10. SirWill's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #250  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I think in the next version I'll add a 'var doctor' type of command that checks what areas are the biggest storage hogs, with suggestions.
    Ohhh, I like, I like.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  11. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #251  
    ^I'm also testing moving the email and attachments over to /media with a symlink and so far it looks OK. Not sure how it will behave with USB mode, will need to test more. If it works out, I'll be adding that function too. Imagine gigabytes of email if you wants, peoples.
  12. #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    ^Yes, the tmp directory is normal. It is likely email filling up /var. Did you install a lot of optware packages? Some are pretty big.
    I did at some point. However, I just did "quilt applied" and didn't have any patch applied. I did have a bunch of things under "/opt/src/patches" and "/opt/src/modifications" and just erased both folders. I still cannot install from the App Catalog. Now, I am trying to find out how much room I have available without having to move another app with mvapp (which reports this at the end) and don't know how. I also didn't find an option in the app that would tell me this.

    Also, even though I have my mailboxes configured to sync only the last 7 days, I can see a whole lot more than 1 week of e-mails. Maybe as far back as when I first added the accounts, or even all of it. Shouldn't the client eliminate (locally, not on the server) any e-mails that are older than 7 days? Otherwise, the mailbox will continue filling up, no matter what this setting is set to.
  13. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #253  
    I've got a development version posted if you want to test. It has a new command 'doc' or 'd' and does this...

    Code:
    mvapp version: 0.2.6a
    
    /var report.
    Used should be well under 100MB...
    /var used: 88 MB 35% - avail: 160 MB
    
    Size of applications directory (MB).
    Should be well under 60MB...
    6       /var/usr/palm/applications
    
    Checking email usage.
    Your email storage is using 8MB.
    
    Checking software temp (MB).
    Should be 1MB or less...
    0       /var/lib/software/tmp
    
    Checking /opt (MB)...
    37      /opt

    To install development version, paste this...
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / 
    cd /usr/local/bin
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/mvapp/blobs/raw/master/mvapp -O mvapp.dev
    chmod 755 mvapp.dev
    mvapp.dev
    mvapp.dev d <or> doc

    You can rename mvapp.dev to something else if you want.

    Anyone have other suggestions that the 'doc' function could check?
  14. #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I've got a development version posted if you want to test.
    Whoa! Look at my e-mail storage!

    Code:
    mvapp version: 0.2.6a
    
    /var report.
    Used should be well under 100MB...
    /var used: 199 MB 80% - avail: 49 MB
    
    Size of applications directory (MB).
    Should be well under 60MB...
    12      /var/usr/palm/applications
    
    Checking email usage.
    Your email storage is using 51MB.
    
    Checking software temp (MB).
    Should be 1MB or less...
    0       /var/lib/software/tmp
    
    Checking /opt (MB)...
    35      /opt
    Did you see my question about the synced days? I know this is not fully related to your patch.

    Also, I have 35MB in /opt. Could I safely get rid of that? Remember I already got rid of the "/opt/src/patches" and "/opt/src/modifications" folders.

    Code:
    ls /opt
    bin          include      lib          man          share        var
    etc          ipkg-3rXdoG  libexec      sbin         src
    Or is this folder where Optware is installed and I should actually uninstall it another way? There really is no point in using Optware anymore now that Preware kicks ****, is there?
  15. xorg's Avatar
    Posts
    633 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
       #255  
    Your /opt is OK, it's about the same as mine. Despite your email, something else is eating up a about 50MB of space.

    Not sure why your email is showing more than 7 days even though it's set to 7. Might post in the general app discussion about that.

    To explore /var further, try this..

    cd /var
    du -s * |sort -n

    Shows largest last. My largest look like this..
    4864 palm
    13104 usr
    14240 luna
    38140 opt

    If another dir looks abnormally large, cd into that dir and repeat the du command above. Report back and I'll add it for the doctor to test.
  16. SirWill's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #256  
    with the du -s * are the sizes in kb, mb or what?

    I have 94404Luna Data in Luna is 91592 and 28576 in var/luna/data/attachments and emails has 51516 havn't installed the dev version yet. I got the above numbers via the pre and terminal. Ugh, my eyes!
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  17. #257  
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Your /opt is OK, it's about the same as mine.
    Do I really need it having Preware, though? Shouldn't I free 35MB I am not using? Or am I? And if so, is a "rm -r" the way to go?

    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Not sure why your email is showing more than 7 days even though it's set to 7. Might post in the general app discussion about that.
    Will do. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    To explore /var further, try this..
    Code:
    12      cache
    12      lock
    16      lost+found
    20      context
    28      ssl
    32      home
    52      etc
    92      run
    160     net.precentral.themes
    168     preferences
    868     lib
    1348    telenav
    2096    palm
    5220    log
    15360   usr
    35648   opt
    131744  luna
    Holy luna!!! And drilling down...

    Code:
    root@castle:/var# cd luna
    cd luna
    root@castle:/var/luna# du -s * |sort -n
    du -s * |sort -n
    12      launchpoints
    20      preferences
    2588    files
    129120  data
    root@castle:/var/luna# cd data
    cd data
    root@castle:/var/luna/data# du -s * |sort -n
    du -s * |sort -n
    4       EASName.txt
    4       extractfs
    4       palm-carriernetworksettings-info
    4       slidercount
    8       temp_html_email
    24      downloadhistory.db
    60      Apps
    144     perfdata.txt
    220     CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
    232     im-avatars
    292     browser
    448     mediadb.db3
    1436    stackdump.txt
    17156   dbdata
    52084   emails
    56996   attachments
    root@castle:/var/luna/data#
    You may want to also report on e-mail attachments, as these seem to get stored in a separate folder. So I really have 107MB in e-mails. Holy e-mail!

    Thanks a whole lot!
  18. #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Also, I have 35MB in /opt. Could I safely get rid of that? Remember I already got rid of the "/opt/src/patches" and "/opt/src/modifications" folders.

    Code:
    ls /opt
    bin          include      lib          man          share        var
    etc          ipkg-3rXdoG  libexec      sbin         src
    Or is this folder where Optware is installed and I should actually uninstall it another way? There really is no point in using Optware anymore now that Preware kicks ****, is there?
    If you don't specifically use any Linux command-line applications from optware, and you have Novaterm set up for accessing your Pre, then you can "ipkg-opt list" and "ipkg-opt remove <package>" all the packages from optware that you don't need.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  19. SirWill's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #259  
    XORG, I have to 2nd the request for it showing the attachment folder too.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  20. #260  
    If all I get trying to open Preware is "Checking Version" (stuck) do I need to uninstall package manager and Preware and reinstall? I downloaded the pkg mgr update earlier and it's been stuck ever since. I thought I saw a MVAPP application in Preware this morning but I looked again at lunch right before I downloaded the pkg mgr update and it was gone!

Posting Permissions