Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm working on a update that has better screen formatting for the Terminal app. For those who want to test while it is in development...

Paste this at the Linux prompt...
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / 
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/mvapp/blobs/raw/master/mvapp
    chmod 755 mvapp
    mv mvapp /usr/local/bin/mvapp.dev
    Use 'mvapp.dev' command for the test version.
    Continue to use 'mvapp' command for the last release.

You can rename mvapp.dev to anything but I do not recommend renaming to mvapp.

This will not be available to PreWare until I finish a few more items I plan. Any requests for additional features?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I'm working on a update that has better screen formatting for the Terminal app. For those who want to test while it is in development...

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / 
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 mvapp
    mv mvapp /usr/local/bin/mvapp.dev
    Use 'mvapp.dev' command for the test version.
    Continue to use 'mvapp' command for the last release.

You can rename mvapp.dev to anything but I do not recommend renaming to mvapp.

This will not be available to PreWare until I finish a few more items I plan. Any requests for additional features?
    Looks good so far. This is the first time I actually used it via the terminal app. I ran mvappd bulkmv and mvapp bulkmv to compare. I can see the difference, and looks good.

Any other changes? didn't see anything else, course then again, dang that print is darn small, and I have it set to the biggest at 6x10 I think it is.
    This works great! I was trying to install the newsweek app and trapster this morning and kept getting out of space error. Tried Fair Dinkum App Limit and just got the error quicker. I followed your directions and moved some apps and am now able to download again. Thanks!!
    Okay, so I've used fair dinkum, also I've symlinked as many apps as I was allowed using mvapp, I've just removed my email accounts and deleted the directory /var/luna/data/emails and also /var/luna/data/Attatchments. Using df in terminal, it shows 78908 69% /var. I know that I'm still hitting the limit.

Can anyone please tell me what else I can delete in /var that won't have any negative consequences?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Okay, so I've used fair dinkum, also I've symlinked as many apps as I was allowed using mvapp, I've just removed my email accounts and deleted the directory /var/luna/data/emails and also /var/luna/data/Attatchments. Using df in terminal, it shows 78908 69% /var. I know that I'm still hitting the limit.

Can anyone please tell me what else I can delete in /var that won't have any negative consequences?
    did you install Quilt before everyone started using quilte-lite? It has some might big dependencies. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Yes, if you've installed a lot of optware packages, it takes up space on /var. To determine which directory is taking up most of the space...

cd /var
    du -s * |sort -n

shows the largest directory last

cd into largest dir and repeat the du command above... repeat to find which dir/files are taking the most space.
    I have installed Quilt but I remember upgrading to quilt-lite. Is there anything I can delete regarding Quilt?

The largest directories in /var are /var/lib/software/tmp (which is filled with the phone's stock ipk's and system-like ipk's) and/var/opt/bin (which I suppose is related to optware). I also found /var/lib/palmos. Since I deleted Classic, should I delete that directory aswell?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Sounds like your Pre is trying to do another 1.2.1 update. Those are the install files in the tmp folder. Do an Update and see if it runs and clears out the folder. My tmp folder is nearly empty. I have seen it fill up though for OS updates.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've added shortcuts to the development version 0.2.5b. It lets you do one/two characters for commands, like 'mvapp ls' to list apps or 'mvapp lm' for listing moved. Also more screen formatting improvements for Terminal app.

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw / 
    cd /tmp
    chmod 755 mvapp
    mv mvapp /usr/local/bin/m
    Note that I rename it to just 'm'. Is much easier to deal with in Terminal app. You can name it anything you want. Run 'm' by itself to see the other shortcuts in Usage.

For those who want the initial release (0.2.4), it is on PreWare.

Quick Start Guide
    - Install mvapp on PreWare
    - Install Terminal app from PreWare (if not already installed)
    - Open Terminal
    - mvapp bulkmv

Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals
    ^Sounds like your Pre is trying to do another 1.2.1 update. Those are the install files in the tmp folder. Do an Update and see if it runs and clears out the folder. My tmp folder is nearly empty. I have seen it fill up though for OS updates.
    Well my phone just updated now (I have the non-stop updates problem) and I'm now using 25% in /var. App limit is gone!!
    I have installed both on my Pre through Preware, but no way to run MvAPP in Terminal. It seems to me that my Terminal cannot take any typing. Can anybody help? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Might want to try removing the Terminal app and reinstalling. Make sure you also have the latest version of PreWare.
    ^Might want to try removing the Terminal app and reinstalling. Make sure you also have the latest version of PreWare.
    Thanks. Actually I installed both from Quick Install. My Preware on my phone doesn't show up both. I will give one more try.
    I uninstall and reinstall both Terminal and Terminal Service Plugin through Preware on my phone. It works now. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Cool. New version of mvapp is coming with shortcuts so it's easier to use from Terminal app.
    ^Cool. New version of mvapp is coming with shortcuts so it's easier to use from Terminal app.
    1. Will this be an update we can add thru Preware?

2. Can you give a quick list of commands & their functions?

Thanks for all your help with this!
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    1. Will this be an update we can add thru Preware?

2. Can you give a quick list of commands & their functions?

Thanks for all your help with this!
    As soon as xorg tags the mvapp repo with a v0.2.5 git tag, we can package it into Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Rod has posted mvapp 0.2.5 on in the PreWare repository. It should show up in your favorite Homebrew installer.

There are three new features...
    - Improved screen formatting for the Terminal app (using 8x8 font in preferences)
    - New reporting for the size of /var, so that you can see if you are well below 100MB
    - New shortcuts, which can be seen in Usage:

Usage:
    mvapp info <or> i - view mvapp homepage in phone browser
    mvapp link <or> ln domain.appname - move app to media, create link
    mvapp unlink <or> ul domain.appname - restore app to var, remove link
    mvapp clean <or> c domain.appname - remove app dir and links
    mvapp list <or> ls - list all apps sorted by size
    mvapp bulkmv <or> bm - move/link many apps
    mvapp listmoved <or> lm - list apps that have been moved
    mvapp restoreall <or> ra - restore all apps to original

So you can do a mvapp ls to get a listing, much easier in the Terminal app.

<thanks rod>
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    If you want to use the mvapp command as just 'm', paste/type this...

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    cd /usr/local/bin
    ln mvapp m
    Now it's easier to use with Terminal app, only need to do..
    m ls
    m lm
    m bm
    etc..
    This is a great idea, but I must be doing something wrong, since it's not working for me.

I just installed 0.2.5 and used the immensely useful "mvapp bulkmv" command and moved a bunch of apps. so that my usage went from 90% to 81%. I then tried installing something from the app. catalog and no luck. I restarted the phone and still no luck. Is 81% still not enough? The official patch page does not make any reference to what the highest usage % should be for the App Catalog to allow you to install new apps.